Embarrassment From the Past

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Embarrassment From the Past

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:32 pm

I have a bad habit of posting in the middle of the night and then coming back in the morning horrified at the God-awful implications of the post I did not see the night before.
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Mitsunari » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:18 pm

By my own admission, sometime last year, I was a bit of a suck-up and ostensibly a tad two-faced to start with...I was immature, easily led and way too sensitive.

When life kicks your buttocks around for fun, several times, you soon grow up and realise that you must be true to yourself or, alas, the same sh*t will happen ad nauseum.

Also, great thread, by the way. A few absentees that spring instantly to mind would do well to post here, should they return. :mrgreen:
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:01 pm

And return they will, Man Chong :lol:

Ok...on topic then. Well...I wish I could say that i'm all mature now and wise and...so on. But the truth is, I'm probably...not :lol: The only thing I've realized over the years is that trying to enforce my opinion on others isn't that necessary. I don't find it enjoyable either.
I don't think I've embarrassed myself here at Sosz too much, but...well...I did mess up in few other places online :lol: Well...what's done is done. Worrying about the distant past won't change a thing anyway.
Retired...
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:45 am

Fledgling Dragon wrote:I have a bad habit of posting in the middle of the night and then coming back in the morning horrified at the God-awful implications of the post I did not see the night before.

Do you drink when you're making these posts? I have unfortunately learned through past experience that a great way to wake up with a gradually-dawning sense of horror and fear is to get drunk and post a bunch of stuff on the internet the night before.
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:48 am

Exar Kun wrote:Definitely know this feel. I imagine I'm one of the more aggressive SGYYS posters over the years that never got banned. Given how my views have moderated over the years, definitely a bit of a surprise seeing old posts.

Even worse I wonder just how much free time I used to have back then that I could be crafting posts that long over and over. :lol:

Right? I certainly know how that is - I wrote some epic posts back in the day that I would not even entertain putting the energy into anymore.
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:42 am

Liu Yuante:

No, I was not drunk. I might as well have been though. Some of my earlier posts make me cringe.
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Iain » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:10 am

I often wonder if the day will occur when someone posts a erroneous info on 3k history they got from Wikipedia and when someone else denounces it they discover the info was taken from one of their own early posts someone found at the back of the forum. ^^
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:32 am

Read earlier post by myself in '06 recalling being embarrassed by former posts/ideological statements from former years. Come back eleven years later, feel the same way all over again but about now about the '06-onward period.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:06 am

I actually read a few posts by me from 2010 on a debate in the SGYY forum yesterday. I was impressed by how much I knew about the SGZ and the way I used the information. It was a novel experience for me, normally stumbling across old posts fill me with a sense of crippling dread.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Equinox » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:14 pm

One of the things that causes me a bit of discomfort is reading old posts from back when I was quite religious. I've since come to view faith in quite a different way, and some of the views I espoused in those days seem rather trite and uninformed. While I credit my religious upbringing with a great many things, intellectualism and critical thinking are definitely not among them.

I also marvel at how much time I used to have, but that's just a symptom of being a college student with a free schedule and not an adult who works 60+ hours a week!
Equinox
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub