Embarrassment From the Past

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Embarrassment From the Past

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:28 pm

It's not so much of embarrassment for me, but rather the difference in attitude for myself. Back then, I tend to focus a lot on researching for the facts and "truths" behind historical events. Right now, I would rather take a less academic approach, and look at things from a more pragmatic and broad stroke approach. In short, I would now ponder over "why" rather than spend time researching on the "how".
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby greencactaur » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:59 am

I wouldn't say they're embarrassing more so that i'm surprised how often my opinions can change. I'll say one thing, but a month later i'll have a different opinion on the subject :shock: .
greencactaur
Academic

Unread postby alicec29 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:04 am

Zyzyfer wrote:Yes, certainly. I used to play the King of Fighters series quite a bit, and really got into some of the online communities that sprung up as I discovered the wonders of the Internet. The series has a huge following in Southeast Asia, so I joined some more eccentric communities as well. One of them in particular was actually a forum for women (I'm a dude) who were into the games mutuelles TNS. There were therefore tons of emoticons flying about, and I wanted to fit in since it was an offshoot of a larger forum, so I was fairly prodigious with my use of emoticons.

I also had a brief stint where I did a derivative of the Filipino-style capitalization thing. Although this laid the groundwork for my later use of all lowercase letters when being facetious, so it's not all bad.

Considering I am not even Asian, the feeling that comes to me when I see these goofy old posts is the opposite of fondness. Of course, I imagine I will look back on my current posts in five or 10 years' time and question why I purposefully wrote in such a stiff and jilted manner. I could have written this post in a more direct and straightforward sort of style, but I have been on a "writing bloated crap" kick for a while now.

I sincerely hope you enjoy yourself with your new community. I would like to join a more active one.
alicec29
Tyro

Unread postby Exar Kun » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:58 pm

Mega Zarak wrote:It's not so much of embarrassment for me, but rather the difference in attitude for myself. Back then, I tend to focus a lot on researching for the facts and "truths" behind historical events. Right now, I would rather take a less academic approach, and look at things from a more pragmatic and broad stroke approach. In short, I would now ponder over "why" rather than spend time researching on the "how".

Great Deer! Whoa, post by 3k royalty :D

I tend to agree with you. The "why" allows for a far more intellectual debate I think.

Facts are always doing to be facts. But at the same time, given how segmented the knowledge base of the community was at the time, I think alot of people (myself included) appreciated alot of that research that you and others did as it taught a lot of people a lot of things. I can't think of many people that absolutely gut me in debates, but you're definitely one of them Chris.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Previous

Return to The Pub