Kongming compiled offline?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Kongming compiled offline?

Unread postby waw » Sat May 03, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi all. I've been a lurker for Kongming.net for years now and I'm looking at taking a couple of professional steps that could involve an examination of Three Kingdoms history. I'm on the move a lot and have to reference notes constantly.

Has there been an attempt, or is there a way to, make offline/printable versions of everything here? Normally I save webpages for offline reading. There are some really good forum threads here but when I click printable versions, it's only the one page rather than all of them.

Any ideas or solutions?
waw
Tyro

Re: Kongming compiled offline?

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed May 14, 2014 2:28 am

Hmm, I'm not sure of ways to print/save entire threads, at least not from the front end. James?

In an ideal world information from the forum could be archived in KMA (you know, Kongming's Archives...), which would facilitate downloading/printing, but I don't think there's a way to automate it. For example, TigerTally's shared a lot of hard-to-access information that would be a shame to be buried in a forgotten forum thread. Is there a way to directly export forum content to KMA (and then one of the content editors can go through it for formatting and such)?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Wed May 14, 2014 4:44 pm

I was thinking about this but, probably amidst working on my kitchen, forgot to actually reply. My first thought was that I don't want people to print too much of what is found here because, wow, that would be a whole lot of paper, and I don't want to do too much to encourage printing through reams of it.

But I can see how people would appreciate the ability to print a specific thread here or there, especially where the current tool seems limited to only one page of a thread.

As for archiving on Kongming's Archives, what do you have in mind? I'm certainly open to ideas here. And I agree, there is some wonderful content here on SoSZ, and it's rather a shame that it can be so completely buried in the forum.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Katsuro Matsumae » Sat May 17, 2014 12:44 pm

If you want offline reading via comp, you "could" download the entire website via teleport pro. This would take quite a while though as there are some 10k pages I would estimate, though may not be able to download the forum if there are sections that you need to be logged in to see. You would either have to download a crack to remove the 500 file limit on TPP free or purchase the software to also remove the file limit.
Formerly Sain Cai, lost contact info :D
Creating a Nobunaga's Ambition resource & community.
Katsuro Matsumae
Tyro

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sat May 17, 2014 8:54 pm

There's a free piece of software called HTTrack that will do something similar. I used it to download/archive my old webpage when Geocities shut down (though the site is actually still up anyway). My site was probably 5% of the size of KMA etc so it would likely take a long time.
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Return to The Pub