Condiments that spice up your life

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Condiments that spice up your life

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:16 am

A thread about condiments, awesome! My preference for condiments has changed over the years with most of my use represented by:

Mustard - whether it is brown, dijon, or yellow I love putting mustard on sandwiches, and sometimes on fries (whenever I take the rare occasion to eat them).

Horseradish - usually in the form of a sauce (I prefer the Boar's Head brand), I enjoy it for it's kick

Wasabi - maybe it's because of the influence that Asian fusion restaurants have had on me over the past year but I love dipping sushi in it

Peanut Butter/Cashew Butter/Almond Butter - yes, I use them as condiments for other foods because they provide an excellent source of protein and good for recovery after I work out (it also doesn't hurt that I love the taste of each)

Ketchup - burgers, fries, whatever it tends to taste good on during those times when I need a tomato fix

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:19 am

Speaking of condiments for fries...

...I am not that fond of them - mainly because restaurants usually give you too many and they're too carby - so when I eat them, I end up mixing mustard, ketchup, A1 sauce if available, and black pepper to make a sauce slurry for my fries. Looks slightly gross but tastes great!
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:05 am

Curry source works best with chips!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:25 pm

Fries must go with gravy. And fresh cheese curds if possible. (I (un)fortunately live right next to a chip truck...)

I actually never had cashew or almond butter. Are they PB-like or have a taste of their own?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:20 am

Lady Wu wrote:I actually never had cashew or almond butter. Are they PB-like or have a taste of their own?

I make my own cashew butter since I can get twice as much for the same price. Cashew butter tastes like cashews and whatever you put in it. I used a half teaspoon of vanilla extract and it was awesome. I may try agave nectar the next time. I'd say the taste is much lighter than PB.

Almond butter tastes like almonds but it's a lot more subtle than PB or cashew butter.

If I get the time, I'll post a pic I took of the cashew butter I made.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aaron.K » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:31 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:Wasabi - maybe it's because of the influence that Asian fusion restaurants have had on me over the past year but I love dipping sushi in it

It's also good with chicken.
"Don't trust anyone. Never sit with your back to an entrance. Wear shoes with reversed footprints."
Aaron.K
Sage

Unread postby Starscream » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:13 am

Haven't been here in ages!

I'm generally for spicy food so here's my pick:

black pepper: it gives fragrance and flavour to soups and meat and even salads

shichimi dougarashi: Japanese mixed chilli and spices. Best with ramen, meats and even plain rice

chilli and garlic sauce: for local foods, especially fried ones

"Italian" mixed herbs: it's a general combination of herbs like oregano and what not for meats and salads

garlic: raw diced ones or stir fried to golden brown, either way, they are awesome for noodles and once again, meat.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:52 am

Zhuanyong wrote:A thread about condiments, awesome! My preference for condiments has changed over the years with most of my use represented by:

Mustard - whether it is brown, dijon, or yellow I love putting mustard on sandwiches, and sometimes on fries (whenever I take the rare occasion to eat them).

Horseradish - usually in the form of a sauce (I prefer the Boar's Head brand), I enjoy it for it's kick

Wasabi - maybe it's because of the influence that Asian fusion restaurants have had on me over the past year but I love dipping sushi in it

Peanut Butter/Cashew Butter/Almond Butter - yes, I use them as condiments for other foods because they provide an excellent source of protein and good for recovery after I work out (it also doesn't hurt that I love the taste of each)

Ketchup - burgers, fries, whatever it tends to taste good on during those times when I need a tomato fix

Love cashew butter. But I also love cashews in general.
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:04 am

Liu Yuante wrote:
Love cashew butter. But I also love cashews in general.

I second that, sheer awesomeness. I make Cashew Banana Smoothies almost everyday for my after workout protein-carb replenisher.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to The Pub