Why do you come back?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Why do you come back?

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:22 pm

I'm required by unfathomable supernatural laws to continue returning to this place because an ancient curse has bound our fates. Just as we must share the same death in two deaths, so must we live the same life in two lives.

Seriously, I really wish I had a better reason to continue reading these lovely posts and translations and historical analyses. I really wish I had better news, but I don't. It's because of the ancient curse.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:47 am

Sounds to me a humorous way of saying what a few of us have said before - we've belonged to SOSZ so long that it's become an intrinsic part of who I am!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Thu May 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Xiahou Jia wrote:Well...as Sun Fin has mentioned it does feel like home.
I tend to return with every new DW game being pumped out by KOEI :lol: A thought or two to share...then it's time to go...only to return in half year for another brief stay.

That. Some things never change :lol:
Kinda sad to see the place quite deserted though.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu May 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Xiahou Jia wrote:
Xiahou Jia wrote:Well...as Sun Fin has mentioned it does feel like home.
I tend to return with every new DW game being pumped out by KOEI :lol: A thought or two to share...then it's time to go...only to return in half year for another brief stay.

That. Some things never change :lol:
Kinda sad to see the place quite deserted though.

Yeah, I think the last two months have been the quietest I've ever known. In the build up to DW9 and the announcement of a 3K Total War game activity picked up somewhat, didn't last upon the game being released. :cry:
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Fri May 04, 2018 11:57 pm

I come back mainly for the Sanguo Yanyi Symposium board. I don't post on the other boards as much... maybe I should start!

As for why I come back for that board: I enjoy adding to my knowledge of the era, and the community here is really good at coming up with questions and providing answers. Oh, and the translations; dear heavens the translations!

I feel like I have a great grasp of Western Jin history, and a decent grasp of Late Han, but I'm lacking around the middle (post-Cao Cao-ish; Three Kingdoms proper); luckily there's plenty discussion here about it! I study Chinese history for a hobby so every day I'm learning new stuff here and abroad.

I'm also adding every day to an essay on Jia Nanfeng that I've been writing for about a year now. It's more a biography than a mere essay at this point. I hope to share it here someday when I finish. :D I've also been tossing around the idea of a historical fiction novel about the Jia/Guo families for a while, and have put together a rough outline for it. That's a project for later, though.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Student

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat May 05, 2018 9:24 am

Over my time here I've been a regular contributor in the History, Political and Pub sub-forums but in recent times only the history boards have seen much activity! The days of epic debates between the likes of WWD and Suke over the major political issue of the day seem to have passed sadly! I still think our core group of posters in the Sanguo Yanyi Symposium board are as knowledgeable as ever and when an interesting question is raised there are people clambering to answer - it's just been happening less recently!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon May 14, 2018 5:28 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Over my time here I've been a regular contributor in the History, Political and Pub sub-forums but in recent times only the history boards have seen much activity! The days of epic debates between the likes of WWD and Suke over the major political issue of the day seem to have passed sadly! I still think our core group of posters in the Sanguo Yanyi Symposium board are as knowledgeable as ever and when an interesting question is raised there are people clambering to answer - it's just been happening less recently!

Oh the ol' days! I actually come back to see if anyone is debating much in Current Events but don't see much so don't contribute myself. Guess that doesn't help much with starting something up again, but is what it is.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon May 14, 2018 5:46 pm

SUKE! :D :D :D

Great to see you buddy! Good to know you still check in but your right, there just aren't those kind of debates here right now. Peaks and troughs, peaks and trough. :wink:
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elitemsh » Tue May 15, 2018 9:49 am

Shikanosuke wrote:Oh the ol' days! I actually come back to see if anyone is debating much in Current Events but don't see much so don't contribute myself. Guess that doesn't help much with starting something up again, but is what it is.

I find myself in a similar situation to you albeit in a different section. This forum was very active about 8-10 years ago especially. There was a lot more general interest back then. Now it's definitely harder to contribute. Good to see it's still somewhat hanging in there. Some stubborn posters like Fin and Dong definitely help.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri May 18, 2018 7:31 pm

Sun Fin wrote:SUKE! :D :D :D

Great to see you buddy! Good to know you still check in but your right, there just aren't those kind of debates here right now. Peaks and troughs, peaks and trough. :wink:

Same here old friend! And agreed. But hey, as long as James keeps the forum up, I think I'll always make my way back to check and see if anyone is debating. :D
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to The Pub