Your Car (if you have one)

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Your Car (if you have one)

Unread postby Mitsunari » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:14 am

Despite how prone I am to road-rage, driving can sometimes be a liberating activity for me - I obtained my license quite late in life I suppose, but the independence my car grants my family and I is something I'm oddly thankful for.

Ok, it's not anything to dazzle you, but it's a reliable family saloon with a very handy 2.0ltr diesel engine, I give you the Ford Focus!

This isn't actually a picture of my car ^, but it's the same colour, model and year (2001)...plus, uh, naughty ol' Mits did THIS to the car a little while back, stupid narrow bloody driveway (and yes, this is evidence of the actual prang):

Suffice to say, I'm learning D.I.Y bodywork repair quite rapidly. :lol:

Anyhoo, this topic is not only to discuss the vehicles of SoSZ, but the ones you wish to own or indeed, the ones you've owned and have fond memories of.

If such a thread already exists, apologies.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Re: Your Car (if you have one)

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:54 am

I have a 2003 Dodge Stratus. Nothing spectacular to look at. I did have a 200SX Nissan prior to that but we gave it away to a family in need.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:13 am

I'd post a photo but it's a bit too much effort since it's a POS. It's a '97 or '98 Hyundai Sonata. Bought it from a Russian couple as a weekend tripper basically, and it was apparently driven by an old lady before that.

Parking is a pain in Seoul, so the car generally just sits in the office parking garage more than anything else. :cry:
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:35 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:I have a 2003 Dodge Stratus. Nothing spectacular to look at. I did have a 200SX Nissan prior to that but we gave it away to a family in need.

If it starts first time, is easy on the fuel and is durable to boot, I think that's the epitome of a family car.

The 200SX is a beaut of a car, oof, but credit where it's due for being so altruistic.

I'd post a photo but it's a bit too much effort since it's a POS. It's a '97 or '98 Hyundai Sonata. Bought it from a Russian couple as a weekend tripper basically, and it was apparently driven by an old lady before that.

Parking is a pain in Seoul, so the car generally just sits in the office parking garage more than anything else. :cry:

Not a bad looking car, to be honest...any reliability issues?

Man, I'd take a heavingly impenetrable metropolis like Seoul over the speed hump/bump nightmare that is South Wales in it's entirety! I swear, some of them are way too steep; not only will they wreck your tires and wheel-alignment but a few times I've 'Dukes of Hazzard'-ed over the really malevolent ones. :lol:
Mitsunari

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:09 am

Mitsunari wrote:
Zhuanyong wrote:I have a 2003 Dodge Stratus. Nothing spectacular to look at. I did have a 200SX Nissan prior to that but we gave it away to a family in need.

If it starts first time, is easy on the fuel and is durable to boot, I think that's the epitome of a family car.

And my car battery would die today after you had posted that. :lol: Good thing a co-worker was sitting in her car smoking a cigarette. Basically as soon as I hooked it up my car cranked back up.

It's average on gas based on the year of the model. The norm these days is closer to 30+ miles per gallon. My Dodge only gets 23 miles per gallon.

The 200SX is a beaut of a car, oof, but credit where it's due for being so altruistic.

I loved that car. It was worth it giving the car away.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aaron.K » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:49 am

I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 4x4 six seater with a Hemi engine. That picture is not of my car, but it looks exactly the same (colour and appearance).

I used to have a Dodge Omni GLH, but that's long gone now, since I had it set up to be only a track car, and I stopped those days a long time ago, and because it was too much maintenance and had very high KMs on it, I just decided to scrap it (unfortunate given how rare they are, but it wasn't even worth it to try and restore to anything proper.)
"Don't trust anyone. Never sit with your back to an entrance. Wear shoes with reversed footprints."
Also, check out my forum. A general history board called: The History Room
Aaron.K
Sage

Unread postby Mitsunari » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:49 am

Zhuanyong wrote:And my car battery would die today after you had posted that. :lol: Good thing a co-worker was sitting in her car smoking a cigarette. Basically as soon as I hooked it up my car cranked back up.

It's average on gas based on the year of the model. The norm these days is closer to 30+ miles per gallon. My Dodge only gets 23 miles per gallon.

:shock: ...well, it's usually my wife who's the biggest jinxer on two legs, I guess it's infested me as well. Technically, it's still her fault. :lol:

Mine is surprising economic fuel-wise, considering it's a 12 year old diesel, but the guy we bought it off had it serviced every year. I'm useless at estimates using gallons and litres, but ordinarily a quarter of a tank (£20's worth of diesel) is good for approx. 200 miles plus.

Plus, with a stick-shift, it's easier to eliminate over-revving which wastes fuel; by 28mph I'm always in 4th gear.

Btw, Mr Aaron, that's a spiffy ride you have! Bet he's a 'thirsty' chap though...

T'is unfortunate when a potential restoration isn't possible for whatever reason; I mean I'm trying to find the funds to tidy up my car's bodywork and modify tastefully where possible, but it's the sheer amount of time that such work consumes...
Mitsunari

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:40 am

Mitsunari wrote:Not a bad looking car, to be honest...any reliability issues?

Transmission gets wonky on even slight inclines, other than that, nothing beyond little things like the power window motor being old and whatnot.

Considering I bought it for the equivalent of about $1,000 US, it's a pretty good deal.

Man, I'd take a heavingly impenetrable metropolis like Seoul over the speed hump/bump nightmare that is South Wales in it's entirety! I swear, some of them are way too steep; not only will they wreck your tires and wheel-alignment but a few times I've 'Dukes of Hazzard'-ed over the really malevolent ones. :lol:

I detest large speed bumps. Seoul has its fair share so don't say I didn't warn ya! :wink:

The most shocking driving I have seen has been bar none in Southeast Asian countries, but Seoul is no cake-walk. People are aggressive and inattentive all at once, being defensive just means that everyone blows on by while you sit there looking helpless. The general rule of thumb is that you shouldn't bother driving anything too fancy because you will get in a fender bender at some point.
Last edited by Zyzyfer on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aaron.K » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:05 am

Mitsunari wrote:Btw, Mr Aaron, that's a spiffy ride you have! Bet he's a 'thirsty' chap though...

T'is unfortunate when a potential restoration isn't possible for whatever reason; I mean I'm trying to find the funds to tidy up my car's bodywork and modify tastefully where possible, but it's the sheer amount of time that such work consumes...

She is most definitely thirsty. Thankfully for most of my gas purchases, I can just expense it to my work. But from half a tank of fuel, to fill her is about $70. It would be bad if I just had it as a daily driving car, but because I actually use it like how a pick-up truck should be used, it's worth it. Thankfully this one has an eco mode, so if I'm cruising at 40 km/h or under, it only needs to run on 4 cylinders instead of the 8, meaning I burn a lot less fuel that way.
"Don't trust anyone. Never sit with your back to an entrance. Wear shoes with reversed footprints."
Also, check out my forum. A general history board called: The History Room
Aaron.K
Sage

Unread postby Mitsunari » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:
Mitsunari wrote:

And my car battery would die today after you had posted that. :lol: Good thing a co-worker was sitting in her car smoking a cigarette. Basically as soon as I hooked it up my car cranked back up.

Ok, now...we seem to be entering the Twilight Zone...because today, I fired the car up as normal, and guess what?

The friggin' battery warning light on the dash came alive...

I'm seriously soooo not kidding or messing around...

So, realistically, in light of the slightly laboured way the ignition has been firing up for about 4 months now, the Alternator is about to die on it's arse. No Alternator, no battery charge reaches the rest of the car.

Since a replacement will cost in the region of £175 (I nearly fell off my chair when the guy from TM Factors quoted that price), the bloody car is going to be stuck on the driveway till I can afford to replace it. Bloody buggering hellfire!! *weeps into a local bus timetable*
Mitsunari

Next

Return to The Pub