The Collection Thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

The Collection Thread

Unread postby Mitsunari » Tue May 07, 2013 10:51 am

I'm quite surprised this thread doesn't exist here, ah well...

Basically, if you have a collection or a penchant for collecting particular things, discuss it here and post some pics and show your stuff off! (No filthy pun intended)

I collect, or rather DID collect, most 'generations' of Transformers (pics will follow later), however my original collection has been decimated due to financial hardships etc...I had some desirable pieces too, including a MIB Bluestreak from 1984 and a pre-Transformers Diaclone Microx (Reflector) from 1980.

Remember, this is a thread to discuss any collections you have.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Re: The Collection Thread

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue May 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Collectables are bad for me, I get obsessed and spend lots of money for a few months before getting bored and moving on. Especially cards. I like cards. And Games Workshop.

Some of my more substantial collections are Magic: The Gathering cards where my favourite and probably rarest card is Sun Ce:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/ ... seid=10709

I also got heavily in to Micro Stars when I was about 12/13 (for anyone at a loss for what they are this ad is probably the easist way of explaining it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gTCaPtFqJc ) This special edition Rivaldo is probably my rarest:

http://www.freewebs.com/junichi_inamoto ... kicker.jpg

But I've also got some limited addition managers and some old time stars. My favourite is of course my gold based Theiry Henry! :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 am

Sun Fin wrote:Collectables are bad for me, I get obsessed and spend lots of money for a few months before getting bored and moving on. Especially cards. I like cards. And Games Workshop.

Some of my more substantial collections are Magic: The Gathering cards where my favourite and probably rarest card is Sun Ce:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/ ... seid=10709

I also got heavily in to Micro Stars when I was about 12/13 (for anyone at a loss for what they are this ad is probably the easist way of explaining it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gTCaPtFqJc ) This special edition Rivaldo is probably my rarest:

http://www.freewebs.com/junichi_inamoto ... kicker.jpg

But I've also got some limited addition managers and some old time stars. My favourite is of course my gold based Theiry Henry! :lol:

I don't know if it's the same with you mate, but with me it's usually a case of: 'ooh, I do like that one, oh and this other five here...hmm, probably shouldn't, the rent is due next week...*devil on shoulder whispers in your ear*...good point, I'll get 'em now now now NOW!'... :lol:

I do remember the Micro Stars, were they first around during the 2002 World Cup? I'm 30 now, so the memory banks are a little foggy...lol...back in the day we had Pro-Set footy cards and bloody Pogs; the Pro-Set collection of 1990-1991 was gigantic and would be worth a heap of nuggets today methinks, shame I didn't keep hold of my collection.

D'ya think Arsene Wenger has about 10 of those gold Henry's, and weeps at them nightly...he always did have an overly 'keen' liking for Monsieur Goal-Machine haha. :wink:

By the way, these are two of the four original Generation 1 TF's I currently own (it's an uphill battle rebuilding my collection when sellers ask extortionate prices for their pieces):

The Legendary Sixshot (apart from Quickswitch, is the only Transformer who has 6 modes...nobody likes Quickswitch though):
http://cdn2.sulitstatic.com/images/2012 ... d4fde6.jpg

Shockwave:
http://www.seibertron.com/images/ebay/g ... ve-mib.jpg

One day I WILL own a G1 Raiden giftset (6 train autobots who combine into one, this was a Japanese exclusive set and is quite rare), probably when it's released as a reissue because, well, sellers tend to seldom drop below £1000 for a complete Raiden. *shudder*
Mitsunari

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed May 08, 2013 8:59 am

Mitsunari wrote:
I don't know if it's the same with you mate, but with me it's usually a case of: 'ooh, I do like that one, oh and this other five here...hmm, probably shouldn't, the rent is due next week...*devil on shoulder whispers in your ear*...good point, I'll get 'em now now now NOW!'... :lol:

Yup, last term my student loan came in and I'd got through £200 on MTG before I realised what I was doing. The good thing about living in the cheap bit of Wales is that I could still afford to pay my rent :lol:.

Mitsunari wrote:I do remember the Micro Stars, were they first around during the 2002 World Cup? I'm 30 now, so the memory banks are a little foggy...lol...back in the day we had Pro-Set footy cards and bloody Pogs; the Pro-Set collection of 1990-1991 was gigantic and would be worth a heap of nuggets today methinks, shame I didn't keep hold of my collection.

Yeah 2001 in the lead up to the WC. I have some football trading cards as well, I see 'em, I got to buy 'em. :lol:

Mitsunari wrote:D'ya think Arsene Wenger has about 10 of those gold Henry's, and weeps at them nightly...he always did have an overly 'keen' liking for Monsieur Goal-Machine haha. :wink:

Can you blame him; we haven't won anything since he left :(.

Mitsunari wrote:One day I WILL own a G1 Raiden giftset (6 train autobots who combine into one, this was a Japanese exclusive set and is quite rare), probably when it's released as a reissue because, well, sellers tend to seldom drop below £1000 for a complete Raiden. *shudder*

When you can remortgage the house eh? :P.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Wed May 15, 2013 8:13 am

By jove, we're raaaather similar indeed, ol' daffodil...it's like a form of 'Pokemon-syndrome', anything collectable to us is a case of 'GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL, ALL OF 'EM, RIGHT NOWWWW!' haha.
I had a titter at the thought of you walloping £200 on MTG before you realised what was going on, only because I know how easily it's bloody done!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40

Hmm, not what I expected ^ ...price-wise, I mean...rather cheap...the urge is back, I need to distract myself!! :lol:
Mitsunari

Unread postby GuoBia » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:21 am

Guys, this thread needs pics.

I collect rocks. Both the legit "Oh, this is a ________ite from ________," but also just rocks like from hiking and the beach and stuff that look pretty, so I can remember the times. Everything thinks it's a cute habit until we're hiking 5 miles under the hot sun with a bag full of rocks.
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhai Rong » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:53 am

Back when I was young, I used to collect train, tram and bus timetables. It was a pastime shared also by several of my friends, weird mob that we were. Particular kudos was granted to those who had the strangest timetables - one of my friends managed to get one from a country town which a bus ran past half a dozen times a day while I had one for a bus line that had been obsolete for about 5 years.

Eventually, we found better things to do and the timetables ended up in a recycling bin somewhere.
Zhai Rong
Master

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:21 am

GuoBia wrote: Everything thinks it's a cute habit until we're hiking 5 miles under the hot sun with a bag full of rocks.

If we ever have a SoSZ met up note to self to never go on a walk with GuoBia :lol:
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gurochu » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:08 pm

I collect videogames, I find preserving the history and being able to enjoy the games fantastic. Plus it looks nice on shelves. Also being able to keep up in a conversation about some obscure system from 1987 that was only released in China makes me feel good... And also pretty lame at the same time.
wow
Gurochu
Tyro

Unread postby Mitsunari » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Seems there's only a handful of us who are boring/sad enough to actually collect anything nowadays...

...even my 16-month old daughter has a collection! Well, it's more of a disused tobacco container that's rapidly filling up with random things she picks up during our walks, granted, but the elastic bands, spent cap-gun ammo, various sized/coloured stones, five discoloured 2p pieces, Rook's feather and former rear taillight of a van/truck are her magic preciouses... :lol:

I find anything that anyone collects to be interesting, even rocks, timetables, retro videogames and Fantasy RP cards (Wizard Club: The Bantering isn't it, Finbar? :wink:). A collection, imo, is an extension of your personality and (in some cases) a link to a fondly-remembered past or bygone time; something you're passionate enough about to devote time and even money to.

In that sense, something so dear and prized to us as individuals cannot be trivialized.
Mitsunari

Next

Return to The Pub