The Collection Thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: The Collection Thread

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:18 pm

Yeah I'm now limiting myself to £10 a week...
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:27 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Yeah I'm now limiting myself to £10 a week...

Thanks for epitomizing the fiery, eternally passionate collector from my previous post, mate...that was epic. :lol:

How many can you get for £10 though? I don't even know if they come in the usual generic retail wrappers, or singularly.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:32 pm

Well you can buy booster packs but that’s too hit and miss, I buy them singularly off a website these days, cards range in value from 2p through too thousands of ££££s. I'm yet to buy a card worth more than £35 personally...
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Well you can buy booster packs but that’s too hit and miss, I buy them singularly off a website these days, cards range in value from 2p through too thousands of ££££s. I'm yet to buy a card worth more than £35 personally...

Booster packs used to make me weep with frustration...*shudder*

The price of rare or desirable collectables is disgusting to me, like the profiteering wraiths you find on Ebay for example...the buyers themselves are not mugs or fools, in my eyes anyway; if you care about something enough, the price is never too high, I guess. If you're swimming in cash, naturally.

So what's the jewel in your Magic: The Gathering card collection then, me ol' tub of mustard?
Mitsunari

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:51 pm

About 10 years ago they launched MTG in to Asia and they released a special set for this, it was called Portal: Three Kingdoms. Well these cards were only launched in the pacific region and the only English versions were released in to Australia. As a result the English language version of these cards are some of the rarest ever made. I know that James and some others here collect the 3K cards, I however, don't have a collection, but what I do have is this.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/ ... seid=10709

That’s right, Sun Ce immortalised in to a MTG card. Cost me about £30 at the time and I'm sure its value will only rise in the years to come!

Have you made any investments in to your collection recently?
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Sun Fin wrote:About 10 years ago they launched MTG in to Asia and they released a special set for this, it was called Portal: Three Kingdoms. Well these cards were only launched in the pacific region and the only English versions were released in to Australia. As a result the English language version of these cards are some of the rarest ever made. I know that James and some others here collect the 3K cards, I however, don't have a collection, but what I do have is this.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/ ... seid=10709

That’s right, Sun Ce immortalised in to a MTG card. Cost me about £30 at the time and I'm sure its value will only rise in the years to come!

Have you made any investments in to your collection recently?

Ahh phooey, that link is duff, mate. It says this: ''Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.''

I bet you're like a Wu Gollum with that Sun Ce card, haha, hissing aggressively at anyone who asks to see it. :wink: Keep that card in mintier than mint condition, me ol' mate, as I'm sure you will.

Well, I'd certainly like to make additions to my collection, but that's not going to happen anytime soon unless that money tree in the garden starts coughing up £50 notes! :lol: A G1 reissue Megatron would be nice, though...y'know, as a sort of 'any occasion' gift...*wink wink*...
Mitsunari

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:37 pm

Did not realise this thread was this ancient!

I saw this pic today on a mtg page on my Facebook newsfeed, it made me chuckle! :lol:

Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Equinox » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:28 pm

I've got quite a substantial MtG collection as well, dating back to around 1995. While there aren't too many super rare cards, I do have quite a few misprints and miscuts, as well as some autographed cards.

I've also recently started to revisit my Lego collection, with several of the modular buildings as well as a lot of older sets from when I was a kid. Any other AFOLs out there?
Equinox
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shao Shanshu » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:38 pm

At a certain moment of my life I was collecting decks of playing cards. I wouldn't call it a grand collection, but I liked it (and, I think, I like it still).

Now I try to avoid turning my hobby of buying&playing boardgames into collecting, because big cardboard boxes cost a bit too much and consume too much free space at home.
Shao Shanshu
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:03 pm

Right now my collector tendencies have turned to Three Kingdom history books :lol:. They take up far more space than the trading cards even if they cost around the same!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub