Who do you think you're most similar to in RTK?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Who do you think you're most similar to in RTK?

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:57 pm

There are hundreds of characters in Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and none is ever similar to another. From proud warriors and generals to humble and loyal court officials, there are many types of character depicted. Who do you identify with most easily? Who would be closest to you back in that time?
English is not my mother tongue. I hope the comprehension isn't too hard.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Re: Who do you think you're most similar to in RTK?

Unread postby Korin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:38 pm

Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Strategist » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:17 am

Why is that Korin, BTW?

I don't the novel that well, but from what little I do know I think Ma Su. I've got the same problem of Theory v.s Practice that Ma Su appeared to have had. I'm far more knowledgable on military history and military theory than the practicalities of warfare.

My strengths, by contrast, tend towards memorising large amounts of information and highly effective analysis as long as said analysis remains theoretical- my marks in Law and Philosophy tend to back this up.
Strategist
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:14 am

I'm intelligent but not as intelligent as I think I am, nice but can be overly aggressive. Someone like Ding Yi or Yang Xiu only not quite that intelligent?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:45 pm

Korin wrote:http://kongming.net/encyclopedia/Wen-Hu

Nice! But why?

Dong Zhou wrote:I'm intelligent but not as intelligent as I think I am, nice but can be overly aggressive. Someone like Ding Yi or Yang Xiu only not quite that intelligent?

Maybe Wang Leang? I mean he was quite intelligent, but maybe too confident in his abilities..?

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:20 am

It's always tough for these sort of questions!! First of all, obviously I'm a woman, and women of these sort of eras will undoubtedly have bias against them if they didn't behave traditionally!! So personality-wise it would be tough to call given the limited knowledge we have on women in the novel other than "he married her" or "his sister/wife/daughter did this"!!

I'm not very good at comparing myself to people!! I guess I can say Huang Yueying because, not going on a whole "I'm ugly", "no you're not", "well she's not my cup of tea"!! I merely base this on that I am known more for my personality than my physical appearance since I have a very big personality and it's generally difficult to forget me!! I suppose that also applies to Lady Sun who is more known for her fierceness and sharp items fetish!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Strategist » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:21 am

Out of curiousity SunXia, of the male RTK characters which one do you think you have the most similarity to?
Strategist
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm gonna be that guy and compare myself to Zhuge Liang. Not the being a genius thing, more the role he had in Shu after Liu Bei's death. I like being in control of what’s going on around me without having the pressure of actually being in overall charge. So the idea of being able to run a country without actually being the sovereign figure is ideal, and I normally try and do the right thing and do get caught up in my duty and if I'm responsible for something then I can work myself in to the ground for it.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:22 pm

Strategist wrote:Out of curiousity SunXia, of the male RTK characters which one do you think you have the most similarity to?

That's quite a lot to compare myself to and quite a lot of male personalities that would be similar!! If I was to think off the top of my head, maybe Lu Xun, since I'm known for easily thinking outside the box and using unconventional method if the conventional methods aren't working!! I'm patient when it comes to problem-solving since if I need to take my time I do so!! I don't mind if I don't get credit for things or am overshadowed by others, as I'm more interested in self-improvement!! No matter what I stick to what I think is right, I refuse to be brow-beaten or threatened into changing my stance, although I can compromise!!

So yeah, Lu Xun to me exemplifies cunning and doing what needs to be done!! I love Lu Meng too but Lu Sun later distinguished more of himself!! I love his patience at Xiaoting, knowing the best way to attack and how, in Jing, it was the treatment he advised of the civilians that ultimately led to Guan Yu's downfall through desertions!! There's no point occupying a place if you are going to mistreat the people and I like the little people being treated well!! Also, over the dispute between Sun Quan's sons, he stuck to his guns, refused to back down even when dismissed from office!!

That being, I'm not a military advisor but I attributed those sort of virtues to what I am known for in my every day life!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Maybe Xun You is an option as well fo you..?

Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Next

Return to The Pub