The Fitness thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: The Fitness thread

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:45 pm

Human5 wrote:Does anybody else here need to gain weight? :oops: If I lost 21 pounds, I would die. :cry:

Hehe, I don't but sounds like your quite skinny :D
What you should do is consume more calories, preferably in protein and complex carbs, and top it off with solid cardio and weight training.

Asellas wrote:If you want to build muscle mass, then eat high protein food. It doesn't matter how much. An old friend of the family, who used to be a wrestler (and Giant Haystacks done this) is to eat steak and eggs everyday. Make sure to balance it with green salad. You can ask any bodybuilder, and they'll tell you that Steak & Eggs is one of the best ways. If I went with that diet, and stuck with it for 4 months or so - then I'd be 240lbs instead of 205lbs or so.

Can't agree more! Rocky drank raw eggs for breakfast, and bodybuilders eat tons and tons of chicken breast, which is some of the best protein out there. However, protein isn't a potion, it's only a portion: You have to combine it with good exercise.

Asellas wrote:However, remember: the more mass you have, the less agile you will be, and you will also be slower. I've never lost a race, or never been outpaced by anyone wider than me, or leaner than me.

Not necessarily true. Sumo wrestlers are massive, yet can sprint at the same speeds as an athletic high schooler. Same for Linemen. I know many people who have high body mass (some in fat, some muscle) and still are fantastically quick.
Though it may apply sometimes, not always. It would be wise not to make such assumptions so quickly.

Also, your metabolism is directly affected by your habits and what you do. Your metabolism is your bodies natural rate of digesting food, which is directly impacted by how much and how you exercise and the spacing of your meals.

Asellas wrote:If you want to build muscle mass, then eat high protein food. It doesn't matter how much. An old friend of the family, who used to be a wrestler (and Giant Haystacks done this) is to eat steak and eggs everyday. Make sure to balance it with green salad. You can ask any bodybuilder, and they'll tell you that Steak & Eggs is one of the best ways. If I went with that diet, and stuck with it for 4 months or so - then I'd be 240lbs instead of 205lbs or so.
However, remember: the more mass you have, the less agile you will be, and you will also be slower. I've never lost a race, or never been outpaced by anyone wider than me, or leaner than me.

As for the exercises, weight training. The best kind of weights are actually sacks of spuds, or bags of flour. Forget all this gym crap; it's all just too glorified. I've not got the body I've got by going to the gym. Okay, I don't have a bodybuilder's body - more athletic - but I can lift as much as say, an advanced bodybuilder though probably not a Mr. Olympia. The only thing they do better is lift for longer and lift more. But, again you don't need to go to the gym for that - or anything. It's just a waste of money. All the advanced weight computers and muscle mass calculators and stuff are all tosh. The only tools one needs for developing their body is perserverance, determination, a clear goal, and being able to take pain, and gut instinct, and the ability to listen to your body.

As for metabolism...that isn't affected by what you eat. It's all programmed into your build-up. Some have fast metabolism, some have slow, and some have a balance. If you eat 2 meals a day or 8 meals a day - it has no effect on metabolism, only how many carbs/prots/fats etc. your body is taking in.

As a response to this entire post, check out Mike Chang sixpackshortcuts, either on Facebook or Youtube. Can't say I'm ashamed I get most of my workouts from his free (obviously) Youtube channel.

Also Asellas, I believe you are an athlete? Many people, including bodybuilders, are not looking for a functional body with coordination, balance, agility, speed, and functional strength, but one with large and defined muscles.
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Asellas » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:02 am

Not necessarily true. Sumo wrestlers are massive, yet can sprint at the same speeds as an athletic high schooler. Same for Linemen. I know many people who have high body mass (some in fat, some muscle) and still are fantastically quick.
Though it may apply sometimes, not always. It would be wise not to make such assumptions so quickly.

You do have a point, however, it is impossible for a sumo wrestler to be the world's fastest man - the wider you are, the more drag you get. I'm 6'7, but I also keep close to the ground - I don't have a typical sprint technique (I have great acceleration, but top speed isn't great because I'm anaemic and I tire quicker than those without (assuming they're not asthmatic or have breathing troubles).
And they may be fantastically quick for their size, but against someone who is built for say, speed - they wouldn't have a chance. Just like an athlete wouldn't outpower a bodybuiler. I wouldn't keep up with one on endurance, and I certainly couldn't match a strongman.
However, science doesn't prove a whole lot. Everyones' bodies are different.

Also, your metabolism is directly affected by your habits and what you do. Your metabolism is your bodies natural rate of digesting food, which is directly impacted by how much and how you exercise and the spacing of your meals.

Not necessarily. You take someone who is thin, or perhaps (surely you must have) you've heard of 'Can eat whatever they want, and not put on weight'? Well, that's because of a naturally faster metabolism. And yet, people who are fat or out-of-shape can exercise and exercise and not notice any real difference.
It's not about exercising like everyone else - it's exercising in a way that works. I'm aware though that just because someone is thin doesn't mean they're healthy.

Also Asellas, I believe you are an athlete? Many people, including bodybuilders, are not looking for a functional body with coordination, balance, agility, speed, and functional strength, but one with large and defined muscles.

I used to be. I had potential for swimming in the Olympics (No lie - I can show my accolades) Basketball team, Martial Arts, Ground Submission Wrestling. However, I maintain that fitness it's just I have no use for it. But, thanks to those sports disciplines I have a balanced body: legs are strong, arms are strong, good coordination.
And I agree, as I probably didn't make quite clear - it's what your goal is. Is it all-rounded, like me? Or, do you go for defined muscles/chiselled body? Or, do you go for endurance - or speed?

Sumo Wrestlers are agile, but they're professional sportsman and shouldn't really be compared to high school. You start getting into your prime in your early 20s.

The only right way to exercise/work-out/keep fit is to find and stick to something that works. I consider myself lucky because I could do a stringent, hardcore exercise regime such as 100 press-ups every day for a week, or I could just do 50 press-ups a day for two weeks. Some people will be like me, others won't be. But the way I do things isn't right.

Me, personally? I prefer being balanced in every aspect. If I can't outpower someone, I'll try to outrun them, if I can't outrun them, I'll try and do them with technique, if I can't beat them with technique then I'll try strength. If I still can't beat them...I'd give up :lol:
It really depends how far a person wants to go. If you want to be a strongman, then doing exercises to make your body become attuned to speed will be pointless. If you want to be an athlete, well, it wouldn't be feasible to just lift weights or just work on your arms.

Fitness is, like anything, defined by the individual.
Last edited by Asellas on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:10 am

Condemning gym rats who slave away at curls and bench press :lol: typical martial artist :D

I agree with what you've said about balance, but I believe metabolism is directly affected by your lifestyle (which is why once kids who "can eat anything without putting on weight" hit a brick wall at their 30's when more time is spent behind a desk).

Take Nelly (the R&B one). Apparently, he does bursts of exercise throughout his day (he is fortunate enough to have such opportunities) and will take a minute every hour or so do to 50 pushups. Spaced out, he claims to get up to 1000 in a day. And when asked about diet, he says he doesn't pay attention to what he eats whatsoever.

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Asellas » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:15 am

epaminondas146871 wrote:Condemning gym rats who slave away at curls and bench press :lol: typical martial artist :D

We believe in chi :) - not steroids :lol: - Just kidding. Actually, a lot of my strength comes from that, I think; the chi - not steroids. But again, I'm probably just blessed. I toss my dad around like a ragdoll, and he's built like a brickhouse (Only 5'11, but weighs about 195lbs) - and a while back, I lifted up a 19 stone friend-of-a-friend about a half a foot of the ground - good thing, too - arrogant big bleeder: he was shocked but is the type to not admit it - after all; he's only the best fighter, politician, athlete...best in the world at everything :lol:

epaminondas146871 wrote:I agree with what you've said about balance, but I believe metabolism is directly affected by your lifestyle (which is why once kids who "can eat anything without putting on weight" hit a brick wall at their 30's when more time is spent behind a desk).

True, as the body slows down with age so does metabolism. I wouldn't disagree with you on this when it comes to aging. However, with youth...I think it's more build-up. But, you do slow down with age.

epaminondas146871 wrote:Take Nelly (the R&B one). Apparently, he does bursts of exercise throughout his day (he is fortunate enough to have such opportunities) and will take a minute every hour or so do to 50 pushups. Spaced out, he claims to get up to 1000 in a day. And when asked about diet, he says he doesn't pay attention to what he eats whatsoever.

Yep. If you eat take-aways everyday, you'll become unhealthy - but burn all that off and you can be fit. Might be an OTT example, but I think it explains my point.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Exar Kun » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:29 pm

epaminondas146871 wrote:That's true, but I'm talking about muscle gain and muscle growth (appearance :D ), not athletics training, endurance training, fat loss, metabolism raising, etc. in that specific comment. Sorry, I should have specified. :oops:

So was I. I don't train for any of those other things. Both points I made hold for hypertrophy oriented training.
The second point certainly doesn't seem intuitive, but the research has been done.

Human5 wrote:Does anybody else here need to gain weight? :oops: If I lost 21 pounds, I would die. :cry:

I do. I'm like 5'8" 175lbs. I suuccckkk.
But I've got some kind of psychological complex about it, so being sick in the head no doubt affects my perceptions. :D
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Human5 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:14 pm

Exar Kun wrote:

I do. I'm like 5'8" 175lbs. I suuccckkk.
But I've got some kind of psychological complex about it, so being sick in the head no doubt affects my perceptions. :D

I need to gain more. I'm like 5'7" 112 pounds. :oops: Fortunately, at least don't look like a walking stick, and that I'm not the skinniest in my school.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:17 pm

Human5 wrote:I need to gain more. I'm like 5'7" 112 pounds. :oops: Fortunately, at least don't look like a walking stick, and that I'm not the skinniest in my school.

Sounds like me when I was 18.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Human5 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Exar Kun wrote:
Human5 wrote:I need to gain more. I'm like 5'7" 112 pounds. :oops: Fortunately, at least don't look like a walking stick, and that I'm not the skinniest in my school.

Sounds like me when I was 18.

I'm only 15. :wink:
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:34 pm

If you have to gain weight (I suggest not gaining fat) then focus on building lean muscle mass.

epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Human5 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:59 pm

epaminondas146871 wrote:If you have to gain weight (I suggest not gaining fat) then focus on building lean muscle mass.

Thanks. :)
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub