The Fitness thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: The Fitness thread

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Gah my soccer captain texted me today asking if I was keeping fit, I might need to start working out...
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:40 pm

I've not done anything for months so the hikes and biking I've done on this holiday I'm on have not gone down well...nevermind the fact cardio is undermining my intended weight-gain...but then I wasn't really doing anything for the past few months!

Luckily I'll have a friend to train with now so that is good motivation.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:48 am

I need to get back in the gym and step up my A game. As a guy in highschool, you have to compete with all those jokeheads. I've got a year, maybe a little bit more of this apartment which has a gym for free, and I'm gonna take advantage of it and finish what I've started in getting super fit and strong.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:38 pm

Xia Kyoto wrote:I need to get back in the gym and step up my A game. As a guy in highschool, you have to compete with all those jokeheads. I've got a year, maybe a little bit more of this apartment which has a gym for free, and I'm gonna take advantage of it and finish what I've started in getting super fit and strong.

Jokeheads?

But yeah, free gym services are great regardless of the quality/size because whatever it is, it's probably more than you got at home.
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:28 am

epaminondas146871 wrote:
Jokeheads?

But yeah, free gym services are great regardless of the quality/size because whatever it is, it's probably more than you got at home.

Meant to put Jockheads*, which should be self-explainable, but if not: guy's that skip school except for sports practice and athletic events, lift weights all day etc.

As for the free gym, it's practically in my home. One floor below me, in the same apartment. It's an adequate size.

I'm also taking bboy classes, which builds up your upper body strength, flexibility, and overall is just a good work out.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:17 pm

epaminondas146871 wrote: - Don't do more than 4 sets of one exercise. The point is to target and stimulate muscles, not overwork them and kill them.
- Eat preferably 4-6 spaced meals a day (I get 5), so you don't binge and your metabolism never slows.

The first is false. Depending on what level you're and what your exercise selection is you might have do do more than that. It won't kill your muscles to do more than 4. Although 3 sets is a good rule of thumb.

The second was disproved last year. Meal frequency doesn't have a lot to do with metabolism, generally you should just hit your calorie and macro requirements. There are actually numerous proven meal plans that use large fasts during the course of the day.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Exar Kun wrote:
epaminondas146871 wrote: - Don't do more than 4 sets of one exercise. The point is to target and stimulate muscles, not overwork them and kill them.
- Eat preferably 4-6 spaced meals a day (I get 5), so you don't binge and your metabolism never slows.

The first is false. Depending on what level you're and what your exercise selection is you might have do do more than that. It won't kill your muscles to do more than 4. Although 3 sets is a good rule of thumb.

The second was disproved last year. Meal frequency doesn't have a lot to do with metabolism, generally you should just hit your calorie and macro requirements. There are actually numerous proven meal plans that use large fasts during the course of the day.

That's true, but I'm talking about muscle gain and muscle growth (appearance :D ), not athletics training, endurance training, fat loss, metabolism raising, etc. in that specific comment. Sorry, I should have specified. :oops:
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Asellas » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:49 pm

If you want to build muscle mass, then eat high protein food. It doesn't matter how much. An old friend of the family, who used to be a wrestler (and Giant Haystacks done this) is to eat steak and eggs everyday. Make sure to balance it with green salad. You can ask any bodybuilder, and they'll tell you that Steak & Eggs is one of the best ways. If I went with that diet, and stuck with it for 4 months or so - then I'd be 240lbs instead of 205lbs or so.
However, remember: the more mass you have, the less agile you will be, and you will also be slower. I've never lost a race, or never been outpaced by anyone wider than me, or leaner than me.

As for the exercises, weight training. The best kind of weights are actually sacks of spuds, or bags of flour. Forget all this gym crap; it's all just too glorified. I've not got the body I've got by going to the gym. Okay, I don't have a bodybuilder's body - more athletic - but I can lift as much as say, an advanced bodybuilder though probably not a Mr. Olympia. The only thing they do better is lift for longer and lift more. But, again you don't need to go to the gym for that - or anything. It's just a waste of money. All the advanced weight computers and muscle mass calculators and stuff are all tosh. The only tools one needs for developing their body is perserverance, determination, a clear goal, and being able to take pain, and gut instinct, and the ability to listen to your body.

As for metabolism...that isn't affected by what you eat. It's all programmed into your build-up. Some have fast metabolism, some have slow, and some have a balance. If you eat 2 meals a day or 8 meals a day - it has no effect on metabolism, only how many carbs/prots/fats etc. your body is taking in.
Last edited by Asellas on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:55 pm

Exar Kun wrote:There are actually numerous proven meal plans that use large fasts during the course of the day.

I concur with this. Especially since I'm currently on one such plan and have lost, as of now, 21 lbs in exactly 34 days. I've also managed to utilize my sports training regimen to build muscle rather well.

(The six pack plus more is almost there, I can see it. Message to remaining fat: BURN BABY BURN!)

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Human5 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:13 pm

Does anybody else here need to gain weight? :oops: If I lost 21 pounds, I would die. :cry:
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub