The Fitness thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: The Fitness thread

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:46 pm

epaminondas146871 wrote:I'm pretty sure Flex Belt doesn't work, but I wouldn't know (never used it, just looked at reviews and did my own analyzation).
However, check this vid out, it pretty much makes fun of Flex Belt and all those types of products:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2FnrFY5Iak

I don't know.... I tried it exclusively as a skeptic. I don't usually buy into that or other kinds of exercise devices. I noticed a difference using it. It seems to work when you use it well beyond the recommended settings or use. In other words, you have to really overdo it for it to work. It says twice only at this level - I do a level twice the recommendation four times.

Also, walking around with something vibrating my ab muscles into contractions doesn't waste my time as I do other things while it's on. :lol: My wife says when turned all the way up it almost feels like the contractions women have during childbirth. Then I said, so that's what it feels like. :lol:

If I could do some rowing, I'd probably throw it in and simmer down on other things.

EDIT: I'll post if it really had results when I get through week 6, 4 weeks from now.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2FnrFY5Iak I lol'd, hard.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:56 pm

Well, I've lost 11 lbs in 15 days so far. I contribute this to the constant push on jogging and decrease on food intake throughout the day. I'm up to 5 miles jogging and have a goal of 13 miles (which is a half-marathon).

Muscle definition has definitely picked up using my method of workout which I adapted from one of my uncles. He was a bodybuilding machine back in the 80's. And I also used this when I played football.

@epaminondas -- After reading reviews and observing usage, I believe that the Flex Belt works only for exercising ab muscles. It will not give anyone a six-pack but, it can compliment an already implemented ab regimen. I'm sticking with my 100-150 crunches in 3 sets (which I will attribute my closing in on definition to). It does give you a workout but you won't look like the people in the commercials etc from using it exclusively. The review even stated this. It works but not to what it's eluded to doing.

Flex Belt = good compliment to ab workout. Works muscles but will not lead to any definition.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:18 pm

... 11 lbs...? 15 days...?

Congratulations!
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:26 pm

I can guarantee you that belt thing doesn't work.
Anything that portends to "work" without making you actually do any work...does not work.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:59 am

Exar Kun wrote:I can guarantee you that belt thing doesn't work.
Anything that portends to "work" without making you actually do any work...does not work.

It does, but it depends on what your definition of something "working" is.

I explained my experience with it here, note the underlined --

Zhuanyong wrote:@epaminondas -- After reading reviews and observing usage, I believe that the Flex Belt works only for exercising ab muscles. It will not give anyone a six-pack but, it can compliment an already implemented ab regimen. I'm sticking with my 100-150 crunches in 3 sets (which I will attribute my closing in on definition to). It does give you a workout but you won't look like the people in the commercials etc from using it exclusively. The review even stated this. >> It works but not to what it's eluded to doing <<.

Flex Belt = good compliment to ab workout. Works muscles but will not lead to any definition.

Personally, I prefer to stick with my crunches. But hey, my wife bought it for herself and I tried it. If it gets her going again, I'm happy.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:20 am

Anyone use Irongym/Doorgym and Perfect pushup? Those two and Bowflex adjustable dumbells basically are my workout.

No weights routine:

2x
2x
10 x jump pullups (jump and grip the bar like you just did a pullup, hold for 5 seconds, slowly lower)
20 x hanging leg lifts
9 x triple pullups (for 9 reps, do 3 chinups, 3 pullups, 3 hands facing in pullups)
2x
25 x pushup
20 x V-pushup
21 x Double wide (hard to explain... go to perfect fitness and look at the exercise)

3x
2x
16 x Dip+leg raise with door gym/iron gym (These are really intense with perfect form: flat abs, no cheating...)
10 x Oblique rotations (recovery exercise)
2 x Power punch (yet again, perfect fitness)

2x
Spartan pushups till failure (check youtube)
Tricep pushups till failure with door gym grip (elbows in)

Pullups till failure
Hands facing toward each other pullups till failure
Chinups till failure
Windshield wipers till failure (hang on the bar, lift your legs up perpendicular to the ground, and rotate like your legs are windshield wipers of a car) (just do leg lifts if you can't manage these)
16 count body-builder till failure (you guessed it, perfect fitness)

Takes only 25 to 35 minutes. Do it 2-6 times a week depending on your ability and other sports/workouts.

And you should be good

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:33 am

That workout is very interesting epaminondas (gonna have to figure something shorter).

I just may give it a try, once I get well.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:44 am

Some tips for those of you looking to tone up for the beach...

- You can't spot burn fat, crunches won't burn off belly fat, but as Zhuanyong has shown us, they will tone and define your abs.
- The best way to burn fat is to raise your metabolism and burn more fat during workouts and while recovering. Some ways to do this are:
- Interval training. It spikes your bodies metabolism and is quite efficient.
- Building lean, hard muscle through weight training, 4-8 reps max. Muscle burns fat.
- Full body cardio, like rowing, swimming, or tennis rather than pure legs, like cycling or a stepping machine.

- Eat more complex carbohydrates (whole wheat pastas/bagels/rice, fiber, etc.) and lean protein (white meat, preferably unprocessed, Zone bars, tofu, milk, etc.). They're harder to digest than simple carbs and thus help you burn more calories during recovery and build more muscle.
- Eat more mono/polyunsaturated fat, it's basically nature's fat, unlike saturated or transaturated fat.
- Don't do more than 4 sets of one exercise. The point is to target and stimulate muscles, not overwork them and kill them.
- Eat preferably 4-6 spaced meals a day (I get 5), so you don't binge and your metabolism never slows.
- If you're looking for muscle mass, then do compound exercises. They're efficient, burn lots of calories, and stimulate large muscle groups, eg., the barbell squat, it works your Lower Back, Hamstrings, Quads, Glutes, Calves, Abs, and grip strength, or the Deadlift for your entire back and core, grip strength, solidity of arms, hamstrings, calves, and glutes.
- If you're looking for solid, defined muscle, do isolation exercises, as you have a lot of choices as to which muscles to target. They burn less calories and are less efficient, but work well for definition, eg., Dumbell Flye for your chest, or lying arm extension for your Triceps.

epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:01 am

Zhuanyong wrote:
Exar Kun wrote:I can guarantee you that belt thing doesn't work.

I agree, they work!! They don't pretend to do anything without doing any work but they help boost muscle tone when you don't have the time to do intense training!! Yeah they work, and they say that as long as you do other stuff it helps out!! I still have my tone shape over a year later and I ain't exercised at all, although muscles are lagging slightly now due to illness!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:05 pm

SunXia wrote:

I agree, they work!! They don't pretend to do anything without doing any work but they help boost muscle tone when you don't have the time to do intense training!! Yeah they work, and they say that as long as you do other stuff it helps out!! I still have my tone shape over a year later and I ain't exercised at all, although muscles are lagging slightly now due to illness!!

Yep! Hopefully you'll get well soon.

As for myself, here is an update on my intense march on weight loss and maintenance.

Yes I was a bit on the heavy side
Week 1 242 lbs - 236 lbs (lost 6)
Week 2 236 lbs - 232 lbs (lost 4)
Week 3 232 lbs - 227 lbs (lost 5)
Week 4 227 lbs - 223 lbs (lost 4)
Today is Day 2 of Week 5 and I'm 222 lbs

I had a goal of 229 at the end of Week 3, which I met.

I have a goal of 220 at the end of Week 6, which I will likely meet before Week 5 is over.

My third goal was ambiguous as I wanted to see how I looked first and then decided. But I may end my trip around the 205-210 mark.

Hard work pays off! Well, that and a change in dietary habits. It also benefited me that I played football and am use to hard conditioning.
Last edited by Zhuanyong on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub