The Fitness thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: The Fitness thread

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed May 07, 2014 5:43 am

epaminondas146871 wrote:Sprained my ankle.

That sucks. :(

My foot seems much better this week, but a buddy is in from New Zealand so the gym will have to wait until next week.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon May 19, 2014 4:59 am

I believe I finally got my mojo back (in my best Austin Powers impersonation)...

This morning I put in a set of 73 reps for pushups. I did myself two better about 15 minutes ago by doing a set of 80 reps, and then followed it up with a set of 82 reps. I was three away from my best. Feeling really good now, have to get my speed back for a race on the Fourth of July.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:07 am

A few weeks after my previous post I beat my best in reps for pushups by accomplishing 88 and then 91.

But today... I'm feeling stoked because I managed to push it to 100. :D :D :D Other than that, everything else is about the same - though I am getting better at maximizing on leg day. I had a few tune-up runs that went well, and I believe I can do better this year in the Fourth of July 10K... If I run in it.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:48 pm

That's a lot of push-ups!

I am starting week 3 of the Stronglifts program. I have concerns about continuing to do barbell squats as the weight creeps up, but otherwise, it's intense and pretty enjoyable. Planning to keep with the program as long as is safe to do so, and then I may maintain the core philosophy while mixing it up later on. If only I could squeeze a power rack into my apartment!
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:55 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:If only I could squeeze a power rack into my apartment!

I feel ya :lol: . The manager at the YMCA where I work out has gotten annoying lately. She told me my deadlifts were too loud, and is always looking at me to find something to criticize for being a disturbance. Oh well.
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:26 am

epaminondas146871 wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:If only I could squeeze a power rack into my apartment!

I feel ya :lol: . The manager at the YMCA where I work out has gotten annoying lately. She told me my deadlifts were too loud, and is always looking at me to find something to criticize for being a disturbance. Oh well.

I'm using mats, although my deadlifts aren't exactly floor clangers heavy quite yet hehe

I've made a bit of an alteration to the Stronglifts program. As good as squats might be - and man do I feel way better after putting for-realz squats in my routine - I realized that I was doing 75 reps per week of squats, but an average of only 37.5 of everything else. So squats shot up from 20 kg to 60 kg damn fast, but upper body stuff feels like it's being left behind. I'm super paranoid about failure on squats without a rack, so decided to break it up into a two-day split, upper and lower, so there's a little more balance.

I also, after reading up a bit about opposing movements or whatever, went ahead and reintroduced the lat pulldown, since overhead press had no opposing exercise to balance it out. Still haven't achieved the elusive wide-grip pull-up yet...
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:34 am

Zyzyfer wrote:I also, after reading up a bit about opposing movements or whatever, went ahead and reintroduced the lat pulldown, since overhead press had no opposing exercise to balance it out. Still haven't achieved the elusive wide-grip pull-up yet...

Definitely a good idea, I do think the stronglifts program is great but a major flaw is its neglect of back development. Sure, both deadlifts and squats work the lower back, and deadlifts require some traps/lats to work in stabilization, but they are not the main muscles in the exercise. The back is like 70% of the upper body muscle between the upper/middle/lower traps, lats, erectors, rhomboids, etc., all of which have important athletic and aesthetic functions. In addition to lat pulldowns I'd suggest cable/dumbell/barbell rows as well.

Personally, my favorite row is the close grip row using a barbell (image link below) for two reasons: Firstly, the close grip row is excellent for isolating the lats. Secondly, using a barbell to do close grip rows in makes cheating much harder than it is when doing close grip rows on a cable machine. When I do close grip cable rows, I always have to devote extra attention to my form - my back posture, preventing any use of momentum, keeping full range of motion, etc. Using a barbell eliminates all these problems - I just assume a mid-deadlift position and pull up until the plates touch my chest.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/images/2013/kroc-row-workout-t-bar-row.jpg
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:21 am

Yeah, I am doing barbell rows as part of StrongLifts. It took a while to get my form down for them!
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:26 pm

I'm starting my training for another 10K, and another Half Marathon shortly afterwards. Gonna have to get back in shape! I've slacked off a bit.
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Thu May 07, 2015 4:44 am

So it's been a year and I've gained a little muslce but also a ton of weight. Gotta find a way to burn a good amount of fat. I'd go for 30-40 pounds. Now, I know that sounds extensive, but at my skinniest (with no muscle) I weighed 140 @ 5'7. Over the course of five years I've gained a loooooot of weight, but also muslce, which I'm not sure how to measure. Currently, 200LB's and only 5'9. However, my fat mostly lies within my stomach, sides, thighs, that lower round region of the back, and insignificant amounts on my face and neck. My shoulders and biceps are already a little toned. Advice?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub