The Fitness thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: The Fitness thread

Unread postby memeo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:25 am

Xia Kyoto wrote:It really is, especially since I used to be so self-conscious about my weight, which caused me to be very shy and feel the need to seclude myself from society whenever possible. I would try to wear the baggiest clothing I could to hide my overweight body, and talk as less as possible. I knew it was a great opportunity that life was handing to me when we moved to this nice apartment* that had a ton of gym equipment to use. The treadmill was the first thing that caught my eye, cardio straight away!

I would start at jogging at a pace of 5.0 MPH at an incline of 2.0 (level 2) for 30 minutes. Gradually, as I began to lose up to 15 pounds and gain a high metabolism and good cardio rate, I moved onto a pace of 6.0-7.2 MPH at an incline of 4.5 (level 5-6). I would always bring a towel and a bottle of water with me, as well as an ipod. Exercise goes a lot faster with music, I'll tell you that much!

And now I'm slim and fit, gonna start building up on muscle.

Before..:
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww33 ... 3045-1.jpg

After :) :
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww33 ... 7264_n.jpg

Hope your knee gets better btw :)

Good for you.. i see a lot of improvement there...
memeo
Assistant

Unread postby mrbeate » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:44 am

Xia_Kyoto, it is actually easier to build muscle on chubby or mediocre amount of body fat. I am slim, and fit and muscles need to grow from something, when you work out, your fat breaks down, some gets burnt off, while a lot of it gets rebuilt into muscle.

Edit: 100 push ups, 300 situps, and 20 crunches. New routine. Improvement since past two weeks. Very happy.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby memeo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:47 am

I think my friend toning up his muscle when he is fat.. he do it on purpose to make him fatter, then after that will burn his fat and turn them into muscle, and i think it's easier that way, rather than building up muscle from slim body :-?
memeo
Assistant

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:39 am

Wow, I'm so proud of you, Xia Kyoto! That's really impressive!
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:13 am

Yeah that is impressive Xia!

I had a mate who was massively over weight when he joined secondary school and decided he was going to use rugby to turn it in muscle. Anyway he was training really hard and when we saw him eating in school he was eating the right stuff so we just couldn't understand why it wasn't working for him...

Then I went to his house after school and saw how much his mum was encouraging him to eat and of what and it became very obvious where the problem was. He was still playing rugby when he finished school and yes lots of his original fat had turned in to muscle however he had a new level of fat nearly as thick as the original on top.

So yes it is easier to turn fat in to muscle than nothing in to muscle but you've got to eat the right things as well!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:51 am

Thanks guys, just thought that might be a little inspiring for anyone. In regards to muscle, I began to use weights in-between as well, though light (6-8LB's) and I've gradually worked my way up to 10-12LB's. Although, I've heard that if kids my age use weights that are too heavy (someone told me as 'heavy' as 15LB's) that it can stunt your growth, and so advised me to caution myself in the time being.

I'm not completely slim, just a lot slimmer then before. On an average of one day, I do at least 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, and at least 50 crunches, I'm just gonna start at a small pace and gradually advance. 39 (2 sets) of proper reps on each arm, while holding the other weight steady and parallel to the one I'm lifting (where it rests)

Edit: Also, I know the importance of doing everything the right way as well. In this case, I feel like it's quality over quantity (rep-wise, not always weight-wise). If someone does 50 lousy reps, constantly moving back and forth to support the weight of one rep, then IMO it's better to really try with a small amount, like 15 good reps when someone is steady.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:57 pm

mrbeate wrote:Xia_Kyoto, it is actually easier to build muscle on chubby or mediocre amount of body fat. I am slim, and fit and muscles need to grow from something, when you work out, your fat breaks down, some gets burnt off, while a lot of it gets rebuilt into muscle.

Yeah, no. There's absolutely no scientific basis for the idea that fat turns to muscle. Not in any way or shape does this happen. It's just as difficult adding muscle to a skinny frame as to a chubby one.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby mrbeate » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:45 am

Exar Kun wrote:Yeah, no. There's absolutely no scientific basis for the idea that fat turns to muscle. Not in any way or shape does this happen. It's just as difficult adding muscle to a skinny frame as to a chubby one.

pfft. Scientific basis. It's all about locker room tips, and rumors. So calories/energy stores of fat doesn't get burnt off to produce muscle?
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby GuoBia » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:40 am

So here, I'll satisfy my urge to hang out with you guys with the necessity of studying.

Here I'll explain and uh yeah.

So basically, the building blocks of muscle are proteins, which are in turn made from animo acids.

The amino acids we can synthesize (called nonessential animo acids, like alanine, aspargine, aspartate, glutamate, and serine) are carbon skeletons from the Krebs cycle, glycolysis, and of course the pentose phosphate pathway (histadine). These are synthesized via transanimation. Staring with the corresponding ketoacid, this path uses aminotransferase which needs PLP as a coenzyme (this activates the aminotransferase by forming a Schiff base intermediate). It takes an anime group from glutamate (forming an alpha keto glutarate in the process, which can be used in the kreb's cycle) and puts it onto the keto acid, forming the L-amino acid.The carbon base here is the corresponding keto acid.

Meanwhile, fat burning involves beta oxidation, which takes a fatty acid chain and oxidizes and breaks it into lots of acetyl-coa. These acetyl-coa go off to the Kreb's cycle to produce energy. The ketoacid seen in Kreb's cycle is alphaketoglutarate, so even if somehow you were able to take stuff out of the cycle you'd just end up with a bunch of glutamates.

So no, when you're using up fat, the components of that fat are being used to provide ATP and NADH and FADH2, not building muscle.

Note that the fat is NOT converted to glucose. That requires the glyoxalate cycle, which we don't have.
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:55 am

So, in layman's terms, the stuff that muscle is made of is totally different from the stuff that fat is made of, and the two cannot turn into each other, right?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub