The Fitness thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: The Fitness thread

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon May 09, 2011 10:28 pm

I find the best motivation is to do a team sport. That said I've never needed to lose weight, no matter what I eat I can't put weight on. Whats so bad about that you ask? Try watching me try and play rugby and you've got your answer. As for fitness I've never been fitte:, came to uni, joined the football team and with training 3 times a week and normally a game a week (although currently we're in the middle of a 2 week stretch of 8 games-yes that is 8 games in 14 days!). Must keep running...
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon May 09, 2011 10:36 pm

Isn't running/jogging hard on the joints? High impact stuff always kills me.

Yeah, I've been doing lunges with weights. I suppose I have to keep at it and wait for improvements...
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby mrbeate » Tue May 10, 2011 2:13 am

30 - 40 pushups , and 80 - 100 crunches/situps per day should be enough to keep me fit and looking fit. Cardio is added by free swims one or twice a week ( if I'm not to lazy to go to my local center).
Trying to get abs as well. I have an outline when it's resting, and when I flex I have a set of sixers. Is 80 - 100 crunches and situps enough to make it permanent?
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Tue May 10, 2011 6:45 am

Ranbir wrote:Squats.

Squats are awesome for tight buns and thighs on women!!

At the minute, it not s much as motivation that's my problem, its the whole to tired to move mostly oh and the pain of having my muscle wittle away to nothing this last year!! I used to be pretty fit, swimming three times a week and gym four times a week as a student!! Not a great runner as I have weak ankles but I could play team sports!! Always did the breast crawl when swimming, constantly, it worked so many more muscles in so many more areas!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby memeo » Fri May 27, 2011 7:31 am

I just went back from Mountain Kinabalu in Sabah, Malaysia several weeks ago... and man... it was freezing cold up there....

And make me thinks... I am barely reach the peak cause of the thin air, and also i am exhausted from the walking.. you have to hike around 2.7 km to reach the peak...

Okay, my question. How do you control your food behavior, my biggest problem, i like to eat snacks whether it is biscuit, chips or any thing... I am going to the gym 2-3 times a week.. and usually i just follow the class in there.

What is the good exercise to reduce weight? I am having problem to reduce my weight as well.. thanks for the attention :)
memeo
Assistant

Unread postby SunXia » Sat May 28, 2011 12:46 pm

For fat burning, Cardio is the best, basically if your blood is racing and you're sweating!! At the gym you should aim to be in that condition for twenty minutes on each machine!! Machines like Cross-trainer, Treadmill, Bikes and Rowing Machines!!

If you're like me and love a snack then eat smaller meals at meal times!! Smaller portions are easier to digest and you can spread your calories out more throughout the day!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Tue May 31, 2011 8:31 pm

I've felt very accomplished over the course of moving to my new home, dating back to only two years ago. Since then over the course of one year, I've lost over 40 or so pounds at my local gym; just downstairs in my apartment (we have 5 floors), which is amazing. I work out for an average of over 60 minutes now, and I'd say I'm average fit-wise. Excessive exercise and determination pays off! :)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue May 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Xia Kyoto wrote:I've felt very accomplished over the course of moving to my new home, dating back to only two years ago. Since then over the course of one year, I've lost over 40 or so pounds at my local gym; just downstairs in my apartment (we have 5 floors), which is amazing. I work out for an average of over 60 minutes now, and I'd say I'm average fit-wise. Excessive exercise and determination pays off! :)

That's fantastic!

I'm pretty frustrated now. My knee injury for a few weeks ago is setting back all my fitness efforts. If only we had a rowing machine... :x
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 pm

It really is, especially since I used to be so self-conscious about my weight, which caused me to be very shy and feel the need to seclude myself from society whenever possible. I would try to wear the baggiest clothing I could to hide my overweight body, and talk as less as possible. I knew it was a great opportunity that life was handing to me when we moved to this nice apartment* that had a ton of gym equipment to use. The treadmill was the first thing that caught my eye, cardio straight away!

I would start at jogging at a pace of 5.0 MPH at an incline of 2.0 (level 2) for 30 minutes. Gradually, as I began to lose up to 15 pounds and gain a high metabolism and good cardio rate, I moved onto a pace of 6.0-7.2 MPH at an incline of 4.5 (level 5-6). I would always bring a towel and a bottle of water with me, as well as an ipod. Exercise goes a lot faster with music, I'll tell you that much!

And now I'm slim and fit, gonna start building up on muscle.

Before..:
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww33 ... 3045-1.jpg

After :) :
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww33 ... 7264_n.jpg

Hope your knee gets better btw :)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby memeo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:24 am

SunXia wrote:For fat burning, Cardio is the best, basically if your blood is racing and you're sweating!! At the gym you should aim to be in that condition for twenty minutes on each machine!! Machines like Cross-trainer, Treadmill, Bikes and Rowing Machines!!

If you're like me and love a snack then eat smaller meals at meal times!! Smaller portions are easier to digest and you can spread your calories out more throughout the day!!

Noted... I will do a diet then... but not sure it will work... determination will be the key of success then
memeo
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub