The Fitness thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

The Fitness thread

Unread postby Jake » Mon May 09, 2011 9:44 am

I don't remember seeing one of these around here, and tried to search one without ever finding one (correct this poor child wrong if there's one).

So, as Summer's closing in pretty fast, all kinds of products are on the market trying to get you to buy them to grant you a fast, easy to-get-in-shape method. I'm trying at the moment lose some weight with a bit more traditional way, a low-card diet and with some exercise, and at the moment I have lost about 2,3 kg from the start that was about two weeks ago. Even my clothes are beginning to get smaller every week, which I'm really happy about.

I thought that the purpose of this thread could be just chat in overall of all kinds of matters that losing weight, activities at the gym, fitness & health products, "got something to ask? Someone will provide an answer!", etc., etc.

So is there someone out there as well who's trying to get in shape, does some bodybuilding or just wants to discuss these matters with some other people?
Puhkon silmäni, että näkisin
En tahdo nähdä, mutta näen sen väkisin
Runtelen korvani, jotta kuulisin
En ymmärrä, mutta kuulen sen väkisin
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: The Fitness thread

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon May 09, 2011 10:26 am

I'm in the weight gain camp. Trying to stack up to amounts of 3k calories a day, which gets tricky when I forget to track what I've eaten! My biggest challenge is motivation to go to gym, cause I doing it solo.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Jake » Mon May 09, 2011 12:36 pm

I actually have encountered the same problems, even thought that I'm trying to lose weight. In this program I'm doing, I should only eat 20g of carbs per day, and sometimes I'm just lost how much I've eaten and what different kind of foods have. Motivation has dropped many times when I have tried losing weight during the past couple of years, and without a buddy it's kinda like just torturing yourself.

At the moment though, I'm doing this program with one of my friends at the campus, so the motivation is not a problem anymore. The only problem though is those carbs, it's actually kinda difficult to stay under 20g per day. Few weeks of that, then it's 50g carbs and after that it's going to be 100g. Then finally, when we've completed the program, it's just that you watch out what you're eating - like i.e. not too much sodas or manufactured greases.

Also, I usually have the problem that I'm dying for sweets and sodas. Few months back, I drank sodas on daily basis, sometimes two or three bottles. Good thing though that it's gone now, but the few first days without soda was like a living hell.

Btw Ranbir, check out this site; http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/ A fellow who's somewhere around his 50's, who is a bodybuilder, has very good tips on losing weight and gaining muscle. The site also has tips of nutrition and equipment.
Last edited by Jake on Mon May 09, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon May 09, 2011 12:38 pm

It is freakingly satisfying to have a coke or something after not having one for so long. My main beverage has mainly been water now.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Jake » Mon May 09, 2011 12:44 pm

That's so true! I could actually say that they taste even better than at the time when I drank them on daily basis. I have been trying to drink water when I'm thirsty or I have that feeling that I would go to the fridge or that I would just want to eat or drink something, since back during that time I usually drank unhealthy juices to ease my thirst. Ugh, now to think of it.
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon May 09, 2011 4:50 pm

Oh man, lack of motivation is really my worst enemy. It'd be great to lose a few pounds, but really I just want to be fit enough for some decent hikes and backpacking. I have a backpacking trip coming up in two weeks, and I *thought* I had been working out extra hard to train for it. However I went on a hike yesterday and came home barely able to move (I was at the back of the group all the time too). It's really exasperating. And then when I took stock I realized I really hadn't exercised as much as I thought I did... I'd think about going to the gym and end up not going.

I haven't had soda for... 10 years? It's not so bad once you get used to water. It's much more refreshing (the sugar and the sodium in soda make you more thirsty afterwards).

I think I really need to strengthen those knees. Anyone got tips?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon May 09, 2011 7:40 pm

Squats.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby devtherev » Mon May 09, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm not 100% sure on this, but i'm certain lunges could be helpful for your knees. Or just plain old jogging/running

Ranbir wrote:Squats.

But there's no beating that :wink:
devtherev
Scholar

Unread postby GuoBia » Mon May 09, 2011 9:30 pm

Mabu until you drop. XD My friend's instructor used to put glass of water on their thighs and if they spilled it- ...Yeah.

I am so not fit... XD

Anyways, two words: cottage. cheese.
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jake » Mon May 09, 2011 10:03 pm

Usually walking/jogging/running is awful to me, as I have very weak ankles. I've bought decent pair of supports for them but I think I'll need new ones soon. And a pair of new running shoes, the ones I use are like, what, three or four years old with holes in them?

But, the common problem, WHERE'S THE MONEY? Poor student like me can't afford such thing as good equipment. Donations? ><>
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to The Pub