"Ring ring...."

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

How would you react to the caller?

Transfer the call to your boss
9%
Reject the caller very politely and put down the phone
27%
Let the caller rattle on while you start a multi-tasking spree
9%
Reject the caller firmly and add "spices" if necessary
No votes
Put the caller on hold till he/she hangs up
9%
I have my own ways.......
45%

Total votes : 11

"Ring ring...."

Unread postby Starscream » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:30 pm

Here's a hypothetical situation.

Supposed if you're loaded with assignments by your boss and the phone rings. It's a cold caller who tries to sell you some products and wanted to speak to the manager. The caller is likely to be quite persistent. By default, you know very well that your boss will not be interested to entertain the caller. What would your reaction be? :twisted:

1) Transfer the call to your boss: serves him/her right for loading me with work! Now you get a taste of your own medicine...
2) Reject the caller very politely and put down the phone: be professional at all times no matter how deep I'm sinking under my pile of assignments!
3) Let the caller rattle on while you start a multi-tasking spree: "....... what were you saying earlier? I didn't catch you..."
4) Reject the caller firmly and add "spices" if necessary: "No I'm not interested at all, don't bother. I'll give everything a miss, it doesn't hurt me, thanks."
5) Put the caller on hold till he/she hangs up: battle of patience. Come on, you have to hang up eventually. I know you will.
6) I have my own ways.......: tell us! :lol:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Re: "Ring ring...."

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Seeing as I have to deal with this on a common enough occasion, I'll opt for field the call and give them some form of excuse that sounds like you are interested. So much so, that you believe that you actually are interested in hearing what they have to say. All the while walking them out the door 'get them off the phone' 101. When we had a recent project where we had to field calls for groups of partners (owners) of MLP's, I made a rule up for the group that was clearly 'Get them off the phones!' In your example, I would ok it with my manager just to ensure that running unwanted callers away is something you can do for 'just cause' purposes. Some managers will get upset if you run off the wrong person.

This will enable you to A) keep your sanity B) keep your employer within a good name standing and C) both continue to do your job and keep your management happy (if that is ever possible sometimes).

If all else fails, transfer the call :mrgreen:

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:03 pm

It depends on my mood. I've definitely done the "transfer the call to the boss" thing before in a fit of vindictiveness. :lol:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Lady Wu wrote:It depends on my mood. I've definitely done the "transfer the call to the boss" thing before in a fit of vindictiveness. :lol:

It's effective.

If you do it once, you can definitely initiate a dialogue to setup a phone plan for unwanted calls. Force the boss into one of those - 'help me help you' situations. :mrgreen:

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Since my last boss was an obnoxious ignoramus with zero endearing qualities, I'd freestyle a bit...lol...

Wind up the caller by, initially, repeating what he says in an excellently sarcastic Ace Ventura impression, before apologising deeply. Then he'd continue trying to extoll his products, to which I'd chip in occasionally with a variety of insults:

''Nope, he had that for the copier, it's s**t''

"He's said to literally assault any muppet trying to sell him that again, as it's as useful as a bicycle-powered hairdryer"

Oh come on, only an f-ing chimp would use that, probably to floss his bumhole with...saying that, your brother must use it afterwards, considering how his breath could melt through a bank vault."

Then, as his tone gets aggressive:

"Cry me a river, then do us a favour and hurl your s**t products in the river as well as yourself...please hold for Mr Rinkydink, transferring you now, have a pleasant day and f-you very much!"

Oh the impending fallout would have me sweating with delight, considering my last employer was quite possibly a clone of Adolf Hitler. All he was missing was the infamous moustache and the Panzer in the car park...nasty, little, twerp and I'd probably wing him with my car if I ever saw him up my way. :lol:
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:25 am

Oh thats easy, I just vomit some fireballs onto the phone until it melts into a puddle of whatever phones are made out of.
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby DragonAtma » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:24 pm

The first time, a polite no thanks.
Subsequent times, less politeness.

Remember, even Gandhi would reach for the air horn after enough calls.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to The Pub