Cooking

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Cooking

Unread postby James » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Do you cook? Why? What do you like to prepare?
If not, would you like to? Why not?

General discussion about cooking. If you would like to make your own topic to cover something more specific, or a particular fun experience, you are welcome to—this thread does not have to be used.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Re: Cooking

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:47 pm

I'd like to be able to cook, mainly beacuse I'm very specific in what I do eat and so it would be more convient if I could actually cook it!

However I've shown no talent in the kitchen during cooking lessons at school. I'm expecting to live off of Microwave meals at university!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:35 pm

I'd love to cook. I've made endeavors to learn new things in the past years. Just recently I tried to make my own bbq sauce, but it didn't turn out too well.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Cooking + Music = Epic. One of my favourite dishes I like to make is lasagna, though i make it too thin.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:23 pm

I cook at home most of the time for the following reasons:

1) Eating out is damned expensive. Especially now that we have a 12% tax on restaurant meals.
2) Figuring out the tip is always stressful.
3) Cooking my own meals means I can control what to put in my food. Sometimes I want more meat, sometimes more vegetables, sometimes I don't want so much salt, sometimes I want more spice. Those are hard to control when you eat out.
4) There is a sense of satisfaction when a recipe comes together to make something yummy.

Since I'm living alone, on a budget, and lazy, what I cook most are stews and soups. For a fast meal I'll do a variation of olive oil + garlic + tomatoes/other vegetables/sausage tossed with pasta (and good parmesan). Now that I'm not working I may start wrapping my own gyozas/dumplings as well (an afternoon of hard work but the payoff is immense---make a hundred or so, stick in the freezer, many meals of joy and happiness).

I really need a clean, comfortable kitchen to enjoy cooking, though. I don't do well with communal kitchens in dormitories or hostels. They just gross me out.

The downside to cooking is the washing up.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Zhanghe_of_Wei » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:33 pm

I don't consider myself able to cook ((it's just instant noodles and plain rice))
I'm terrified of frying stuff, but I would like to learn some simple recipes like pasta, soups etc.
As Lady Wu mentioned, washing up is a downer.
I'm not a morning person, which imo is primarily why I have not leant to cook!
"Knowledge is not as important as imagination. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" - Albert Einstein
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that counts. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln
Zhanghe_of_Wei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mestre Will » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks James by made this.

Also i love cooking.I like see a recipe and made in my own way normally much good but in some times not much people like.ahahaha is so funny cooking and eat what you did ... give a estrange emotion of satisfation.

I hear woman like man that cooking :D
Last edited by Mestre Will on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge is achieved with time, but Intelligence is born with it or without it. - Mestre Will
Mestre Will
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Lady Wu wrote:2) Figuring out the tip is always stressful.

One of my friends has a cool iPhone app that does it for you! :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mestre Will » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:41 am

What food you all do better?

My is Breaded chicken, with boiled potatoes and rice :D my favorite , sometimes i made a Mashed potatoes too.
Knowledge is achieved with time, but Intelligence is born with it or without it. - Mestre Will
Mestre Will
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:35 pm

Home made vegetable soup is awesome if made with chicken stock!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Next

Return to The Pub