Cooking

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Cooking

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:29 pm

Shu Ryorin wrote:Zhuanyong, I am now officially jealous of Passover at your house.

Don't be. I've had a few decades worth of time to watch my mother and uncle prepare dinner on that once a year night. :lol:

I've just been playing with chicken recipes so far; I'm planning to attempt lamb chops, but that's pretty much all my grad student budget will allow.

How did your wife make the matzah? Did she use a normal oven?

I love lamb chops, and there's nothing wrong with chicken in my opinion.

Honestly, I really don't know. I've never actually seen her make it except maybe this once but, don't remember. I want to try my hand at it one day but, because I make everything else, it gives me some sort of a break on at least one item. Maybe before this week is over i.e. Thursday, I will give it a try myself. We have a self-cleaning oven that basically burns all particles within the oven. Just have to scrape and wash after.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:06 am

Ok, so I've got a whole lot of mint in my fridge (leftovers from making tabbouleh). Does anyone have ideas for lamb-free main dishes that require mint?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:39 am

Lady Wu wrote:Does anyone have ideas for lamb-free main dishes that require mint?

Boo!!!! :lol:

This is a link to a Honey Mint Glazed Chicken recipe.

Personally I'm more partial to dishes with a Middle East flavor. I've already put together a chicken dish with lemon and cumin and it was awesome. This may taste good as well.

Chicken with Lemon, Cumin, and Mint

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks! I might make it to have with my tabbouleh. :)
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:18 am

I made the honey mint chicken (on the stovetop since I don't have a grill) and it was pretty good! Thanks!
Lady Wu

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:23 am

Lady Wu wrote:I made the honey mint chicken (on the stovetop since I don't have a grill) and it was pretty good! Thanks!

As always, you are most certainly welcome! :D I'm glad you liked it.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:21 am

Resurrecting this thread in the hopes of getting ideas for what to do with rose water. I bought a bottle of it because I had this weird craving for kheer (rice pudding), which is weird because normally I don't even like rice pudding (rice to me is a savory food). Anyway, I made the kheer and am in love with rose water. Since my rice pudding phase will probably run out at some point, can anyone suggest other uses for rose water?
Lady Wu

Unread postby Mitsunari » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Resurrecting this thread in the hopes of getting ideas for what to do with rose water. I bought a bottle of it because I had this weird craving for kheer (rice pudding), which is weird because normally I don't even like rice pudding (rice to me is a savory food). Anyway, I made the kheer and am in love with rose water. Since my rice pudding phase will probably run out at some point, can anyone suggest other uses for rose water?

For some reason, I'm compelled not to offer any salient cooking ideas to you Lady Wu, but I feel I must ask this instead:

Do you like Durian, and if so, do you incorporate it in any of your desserts/puddings?

Also, for all you culinary bravados with a particularly savoury tooth, I have stumbled across the Holy Grail of condiments:

http://www.maggi.co.uk/Professional/pro ... seasoning/

My wife is half-German you see, and she had mentioned this liquid seasoning a few times, basically saying that Germans douse their savoury dishes in it most earnestly.

I found that our local deli stocks it, and now, I have it on EVERYTHING.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:30 am

Mitsunari wrote:
Do you like Durian, and if so, do you incorporate it in any of your desserts/puddings?

Do you like Durian? I've spent the last few months hearing horror stories about it from my family who are travelling around South-East Asia!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:14 am

Sun Fin wrote:
Mitsunari wrote:

Do you like Durian? I've spent the last few months hearing horror stories about it from my family who are travelling around South-East Asia!

The fruit itself isn't that bad, mate, it tastes a bit like custard and avocado...to me, anyway.

It's the horrid essences that are produced with Durian that literally have me retching at the thought...they even produce a 90% alcoholic Durian essence for heaven's sake! *Blooooooaggggh!!* All over mah slippers. :lol:
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub