Drugs

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Drugs

Unread postby dajiangjun » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:48 am

I want to hear some opinions on drugs. What drugs have you done, recreational or otherwise? What drugs are you prescribed to, if any? What experiences have you had on drugs, from something as benign as caffeine to as strong as LSD? Which drugs do you think should be made illegal, if any, and which drugs do you think should be made legal, if any?
dajiangjun
Initiate

Re: Drugs

Unread postby agga » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:18 am

i have coffee every morning, maybe 2 cups, and tea throughout the day. when i go to china i withdraw from it (caffeine) which takes a day or two, but not too bad. as it is, i like coffee and need it to function in the morning.

i would smoke tobacco (i do a few times a year with certain friends) if it weren't so unhealthy. i smoked more when i was younger; it makes it easier for me to concentrate, so e.g. i can get a lot of typing done if i smoke.

i smoked pot intermittently between the ages 18-25. i liked it but i don't think i could keep my job (research) if i kept it up, it made me too lazy. i don't think it should be illegal, though i understand arguments against legalization.

i tried psilocybin once. i thought it lasted too long and was kind of interesting, but ultimately boring. i don't see why this sort of thing is illegal.

i drink occasionally, not a big drinker though, don't like the aftereffects.

i think society has an interest in controlling certain sorts of drug use, i.e. addiction to dangerous substances (heroin, cocaine, meth), in the manner of a public health interest. i think punishments for distributors should be much harsher, and users should be treated as sick people.

someone can use this same sort of argument for marijuana; it's not harmful in the usual sense, but it tends (not in everyone) to sap ambition and drive, which makes for a less productive populace.
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:39 am

Once I hit highschool and it's parties I was expose mostly to tobacco, pot and alcohol. Do I do it on a basis no. Have I tried it yes.
Fully agree with agga on how weed makes you lazy.
Well I do drink alcohol at events whenever I have the opportunity(who doesn't?).
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:55 am

Well like agga I'm addicted to caffine. Damn those Sodas!

I drink regarly but in moderation but beyond that haven't done any drugs and have no intention of doing any.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Adam » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:11 pm

I used to take a small amount of Vicodin for my back but that only went on for about a year or less....probably more like a month actually.

Only thing I do regularly is chronic, without it I have zero motivation to get up off my arse and do things. I smoked regular pot for a while but it just made me feel overly depressed and disinterested.
Chronic actually makes me more comfortable in situations I'd normally feel completely awkward in (said situations being ones I shouldn't be uncomfortable in in the first place but that's a whole psychiatry thing that has nothing to do with this thread).
Honestly have no idea why it's illegal and alcohol isn't, alcohol is far, far worse on yer system (namely motor function).

May be trying 'shrooms sometime in the near future 'cause my friend keeps bringing it up to people for some damned reason.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:36 pm

I do not smoke cigarettes, and have only about three times (all during high school).

I drink regularly, but in moderation.

I smoked pot regularly through high school till senior year. I stopped till midway through undergrad. I sometimes still do at parties, but I try not to.

I have done no other drugs and will not.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:29 pm

Beyond my inhaler? :wink: Never smoked, never taken recreational drugs and have no intention of doing, tried tea and coffee but never liked it. I drink in moderation, beer with football and curry, wine on special meals, something during parties.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:36 am

Caffeine, obviously, life of a uni student/office worker/anything else at all. This culture is addicted to caffeine.

Um, alcohol very regularly.

Occasionally had tobacco, don't much care for it. Hookah tobacco on the other hand is a bit better. But it's still very occasional, and only in social events. (Think maybe once every two to three months)

Pot, maybe twice a year. I don't score it actively but if it's around and offered, sure. But even then, it's usually in a weak form, ie. laced with tobacco in a joint.

I think certain drugs ought to be legal, taxed and regulated, if nothing else then to a) deprive organised crime of a stream of revenue and decrease overall gang violence/prolificness and b) do away with the ridiculous draconian punishments which ruin lives of people who really don't deserve it and also costs taxpayer money and clog up our jails, and eventually makes criminals of petty and harmless offenders.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:48 am

I actually don't drink/use caffeine. Hadn't really thought about it till I saw it show up a few times. I stopped drinking carbonated beverages my freshmen year of high school. I don't drink coffee. Perhaps it is in sweet tea, so many then.

That said, the more I'm in school the more I think of starting coffee (ha, I phrased that like its some evil drug).
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerGeneral6 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:07 am

Caffeine of course, usually go through a can or two of fanta or cola a day,well as often as not, though for about a year I averaged 3 or 4 cans of cola a day :shock:

Alcohol often, typically getting drunk a couple of times a month.

Tobacco i only smoke when drunk or drinking

As for pot, i have been known to smoke it a couple of times a month, infact i was stoned before i ever was drunk.

I really have no interest in sampling any other form of drug, such as acid or cocaine etc, and i'm positive I never shall

I certainly agree with the legalisation of pot, its been proven to have less devestating effects than alcohol, and is primarily illegal due to general politcal leverage and the slander and fear inducing campaign initiated by the government several decades ago. Its even used medicinally, you wouldnt see hospitals giving out crack or heroin so clearly there is an enormous gap in the potential danger of these substances comapred to cannabis.

Crazedmongoose wrote:I think certain drugs ought to be legal, taxed and regulated, if nothing else then to a) deprive organised crime of a stream of revenue and decrease overall gang violence/prolificness and b) do away with the ridiculous draconian punishments which ruin lives of people who really don't deserve it and also costs taxpayer money and clog up our jails, and eventually makes criminals of petty and harmless offenders.

I couldnt agree more :mrgreen:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Fear Denies Faith
TigerGeneral6
Assistant

Next

Return to The Pub