Drugs

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Drugs

Unread postby dajiangjun » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:18 pm

Personally I used to do coffee every morning, but I switched to tea so that makes up my caffeine intake, usually, unless of course I decide to indulge in a pepsi or something.

As for alcohol, I have drank plenty of times, however I only drink in moderation (used to be once a month or less, now I haven't been drunk in nearly half a year). Overall it can be a fun but dangerous drug to use, definitely not one to abuse.

I have smoked tobacco products, from cigarettes to cigars to cigarillos to tobacco in a hookah or pipe, but overall its not for me. I don't like the taste and feel as though it serves no purpose aside from cutting my life and wallet shorter.

I began smoking marijuana at around the age of 15, used it occasionally. Throughout junior year and senior year of high school I was a major stoner, smoking every day and multiple times a day. After high school I cut down to using it once a day, usually at night time before I am going to sleep. My routine is to smoke, drink chamomile tea, and listen to some relaxing tunes and allowing that to flow into meditation. However, now that I am older, I find marijuana to be less fun than it used to be, induces a nearly uncontrollable urge to eat junk food, increases anxiety, and is getting in the way of my responsibilities so I am trying to quit. The difficult aspect behind quitting is that I get weed for free and my best friends all smoke. I realize, however, that is something that must be done.

I have done magic mushrooms three times, each time being one of the greatest, most profound and reality shattering events in my life. I had what a John Hopkins study has confirmed as a mystical experience (http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/press_re ... 11_06.html) and overall it has been a choice that has left me with mixed results. On the one hand, I am glad to have received such powerful events, and to have learned what I have, but on the other hand it makes me feel a bit alienated and antagonistic to bourgeois civilization, the daily grind so to speak. It has made me feel at a deeper spiritual side of myself on the one hand, and on the other it has made me feel a sort of metaphysical anguish to live in such a deeply materialistic, consumer driven society.

I have also done Salvia, which I would recommend not using. It was a deep experience to have once, but I would not want too have it again. Imagine an LSD trip compacted into 5 minutes except with about 100x the strength. Its alright, but way to scary to try again.

Aside from this, I haven't done too many drugs. I tried opiates when I was in high school, but after a bad experience and the general negative side effects and possibility of addiction, I never did them again. I have also tried the Polynesian drink Kava Kava, if you consider that a drug.
Last edited by dajiangjun on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
dajiangjun
Initiate

Unread postby GuoBia » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:11 am

I sometimes drink tea and very rarely (like never) drink coffee. I tried coffee a few times to stay awake in early classes after a long night, but it didn't work- I fell asleep anyways!!!

...Goodness, some of you guys are really on it! Careful, it's a slippery stairs! *Wagging finger*

My doc prescribes me medication, but other than that, no.

Yeah, I'm same as Dong. No intention of recreational drug use and only mild alcohol very occasionally

Dong Zhou wrote:Beyond my inhaler?
<----- rofl llama

Medical marijuana should be legal, I think.
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Never smoked, pot falling in that category as well.

I do confess that i have had 1 beer, with my friend. It was stupid, and we did it because it was New Years and i was at his house. Hes spanish, and some spanish people believe that if your mature enough, your allowed to drink in celebration. I do remember it being a wimpy cherry beer though, it was like 2/5's cherry soda and 3/5's beer. Besides that ive had shots of vodka.

However, i have never become drunk, as i have never indulged enough to do so, and dont plan to. I do remember drinking a regular bud-lite, which tasted disgusting, but i drunk it in the company of my friends, which only made my stomach hurt (this was in fact another celebration, an independence day)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Its not just the Spanish. Its most of Europe. Most of us feel that the USA's drinking laws are draconian and ridiculas. Everyone experiments with alcohol at somepoint. Many at house parties a rare few when they turn 18/21 at pubs. If things go wrong, which they probably will, then then your in a bad situation. However if you experiment in your own home, under your parents guidance you will stay life and will probably learn your limits without pushing yourself to far. To me that is the logical solution and certainly what happened in my life (drinking a little bit from the age of 13) and will be how I'll treat my children.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kristina » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:10 pm

That's how my parents were with me. I didn't know they knew that I tried drinking, but they did. They just let me experiment away. My dad was pretty ticked when he found out about me smoking pot, but he didn't ground me.

As per the convo in the how was your day thread, my advice is to do what you want when you're young. I know too many kids that toed the line in high school and later wrecked their lives later.
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby Adam » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:16 pm

If my parents offered to supervise me drinking I'd most definitely never touch alcohol in my entire life because it would just bring up that incredibly creepy memory. <.<

Thing with pot is, like with anything else, it has different effects on different people, it may totally change a person's personality for the worse but in some cases it does the opposite (for me it makes me a hell of a lot more comfortable around random people, without it I'm incredibly uncomfortable almost to the point of trying to get out of the situation)...you can't really generalize it's effects because everyone will react to it differently. People have to try it to really know how it's going to be for them.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:28 pm

In moderation pot is probably better for you then alcohol. But I'd argue that if we discovered alcohol now it would be illegal.

However my problem with Pot was:

a) when people were reliant on it to deal with problems/social situations. IMO thats not dealing with it thats just putting the problem off until later when you have to try and deal with it without the 'aid'.

b) when people use it so much it kills brain cells, takes away ambition and basically makes them a walking body. I've seen it happen to a few of my friends at school but that is from intense over use.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Adam » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:10 pm

Sun Fin wrote:a) when people were reliant on it to deal with problems/social situations. IMO thats not dealing with it thats just putting the problem off until later when you have to try and deal with it without the 'aid'.

You can say the same for people taking Xanax or any other "legal" drug intended to help with these situations, however the side effects of these legal alternatives tend to be far, far worse.
In cases such as mine this problem is physical and not mental so "dealing with it" is not really an option unless I want to lead a completely abnormal and meaningless life.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:19 pm

Sorry if that felt like an attack on you Adam. That wasn't my intention. I don' know your circumstances and so wouldn't presume to judge. I was referring to mrbeate who was using pot to hide his pain with his friends. However IMO he would be better confronting the pain and letting it run its course naturally.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:31 pm

Hey I use it like medical marijuana, numb the pain so I can get on with the procedure :x
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub