Drugs

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Drugs

Unread postby SunXia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:45 pm

I spend a lot of time taking prescription medication, strong prescription medication. I am thankful I have never truly discovered what it is like to be truly addicted to drugs in my life, be it Caffeine, Alcohol, Nicotine (despite occasionally smoking) and such.

However, being a person who is chronically in pain because of how my cells and tissue developed through life, I very often counsel against pain killers as people often brush aside the effects they can have on you because, well who cares about paracetamol and such?

Prevention is better than trying to cure something. You should never, if avoidable, take these drugs over a prolonged period of time. If you are finding that you are taking even over the counter medication for more than a week or two for the same symptoms then go to the doctors, get yourself checked out, something is wrong and you are only numbing the symptoms, not tackling the cause. In the meantime you are damaging your internal organs, your stomach lining, your liver and others.

This is where I wonder about cannabis as I never heard of users or anything being detrimental other than "paranoia" or mental things. However, powerful pain killers also have these same side effects while damaging things on the inside. Not only do I have to balance the amount of pain killers I take so I can get through a day of just a four hour shift I also have had to completely overhaul my diet and cut out Dairy completely because the pain meds that I have to take because of the damage they are doing to my insides. Yet without some form of relief I cannot physically get out of bed. Weekends are mostly alright because I can curl up in a tight ball and just let the pain attack me but as soon as I have to move i have to take meds a few hours before, let the pain settle and then get up and move.

Just the musings of someone who has to deal with a lot of prescription drugs, are there safer options than continually attacking my digestive system and liver. I have an incurable condition that affects me every moment, surely taking things that cause physical damage is worse than say cannabis when the physical damage done by paracetamol, codeine and other opiates and medication is well documented by comparison. Just my musings as someone who doesn't use drugs other than my prescriptions regularly.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Re: Drugs

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:50 am

SunXia wrote:Prevention is better than trying to cure something. You should never, if avoidable, take these drugs over a prolonged period of time. If you are finding that you are taking even over the counter medication for more than a week or two for the same symptoms then go to the doctors, get yourself checked out, something is wrong and you are only numbing the symptoms, not tackling the cause. In the meantime you are damaging your internal organs, your stomach lining, your liver and others.

I made the mistake of trying to cover tooth pain with paracetamol for a couple of months, bad mistake! I don't think I was addicted, I've only taken it once since then in about 4 years but it lost all effectiveness. It taught me a lesson about being to scared to call a receptionist :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to The Pub