Spartacus TV Series

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Spartacus TV Series

Unread postby Kristina » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Trailer for teh show.

This has been a really good show so far. The trailer shows nothing but blood and gore, but there's so much more.

Anyone watched it yet?

The first season is over now, I believe, and the second is now postponed.

Spartacus Blood And Sand Season 2 Postponed – For all you Spartacus Blood And Sand fans out there that recently watch the 13th episode of the first season, it seems as though you will have to wait a little longer. It is said that season 2 has been postponed so you guys might have to wait a little longer before you get to see the next new episode.

According to reports, season 2 has been delayed due to Andy Whitfield being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. We are unsure when he will return or when season 2 will continue. What we do know is Spartacus Blood And Sand season 1 episode 13 was the finale of the first season of the original series.

A staff writer, Maurissa Tancharoe, recently confirmed this by Tweeting, “The second season is still happening, however, it is on hold at the moment due to star Andy Whitfield’s health problems.”

I hope the guy's alright. I really love this show.
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:39 am

Ridiculous use of language, crazy silly effects. Only worth watching for the tits and sex. But even that is sort of redundant given the target demographic and that demographic having access to the internet. :z

Still...it has given Lucy a job.

Quote of the show: "Ah-ahahahahahaha!"
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:25 pm

I'll probably check out the first season at some point. My parents have been watching it and they think it's pretty entertaining.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Adam » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:25 am

I started watching it when it first came out (Netflix's watch instantly thing kept shoving it down my throat >.> ), it reminds me quite a bit of 300 in dialog and the way a lot of it is shot....not to mention the messenger who got kicked into the pit in 300 plays the part of Doctore.

I also love the fact that they had the balls to kill off so many main characters in the season finale, it's rare you see a show kill off that much of it's cast in only it's first season.

Thank Santa for Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi o.o
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat May 29, 2010 4:09 pm

My best wishes to Andy Whitfield

Been a fair deal of publicity over it over here, particularly given it is on Bravo. Using John Hannah and Lucy Lawless to drive up publicity was a good move but given the media's attitude, just vowing to be the goriest nudity show ever would work. Tipping the Velvet and Rome come immediately to mind, publicity over something eye catching (lesbians/blood and nudity), with the media acting like giggling 15 year olds and people being drawn like giggling 15 years old. :oops: Some of the earlier preview stuff was making comparisons to Rome (I miss that show), which was not a good move. Rome was an excellent series, mostly using it's brutality and sexual scenes as part of the story, part of the brutal world, it felt right even if not comfortable. The characters stood out, watching the story and politics unfold was a pleasure and looked forward to it every week. That kind of comparison is never helpful before a show starts

Recorded first episode on Wednesday, saw it with father and sister this morning. First impressions? Entertaining and hilarious but probably not the way they quite meant. The CGI meant that most "bloody" moments were nowhere near gruesome (hard to when it looks like ketchup) but there one or two moments
when Spartacus slightly chubby friend gets throat cut
when it was bloody and unnecessary. The sexual bits felt like they were put in there purely for wanting sexual bits. The dialog was pretty poor, didn't take to Spartacus, while he and Sura didn't gel on screen (not helped by her dramatic pauses then seeming to change subject). Spent most of it joking about and laughing at things on screen.

There are some positives from the episode. Lentulus Batiatus and Lucretia (hopefully don't do that hairdo with her again) did well in smallish role they had, I liked Gaius Claudius Glaber (not just because the erratic Craig Parker did well in Legend of the Seeker) and loved his relationship with Ilithyia.

Will certainly watch this weeks episode and knowing me, the whole series. Not sure if I actually want it to get better
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Adam » Sat May 29, 2010 8:04 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
There are some positives from the episode. Lentulus Batiatus and Lucretia (hopefully don't do that hairdo with her again) did well in smallish role they had, I liked Gaius Claudius Glaber (not just because the erratic Craig Parker did well in Legend of the Seeker) and loved his relationship with Ilithyia.

Sort of a spoiler so I'ma put it in the daunting white box just to not possibly ruin it for someone else (even though it only has to do with the people mentioned above's appearances over the season).
Spoilier
Don't get too used to seeing Glaber around, he pretty much disappears for most of the season after that first episode and when he does come back it's not for more than a couple of minutes as I recall.
As for Lucretia and Batiatus; they are in it almost as much as Spartacus after the first episode. (90% of the time they are the "secondary" storyline or directly involved in the main bits in some manner or other).
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Adam
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Watched the second episode this morning and already can't remember most of it :wink: It was an improvement, not enough to avoid making me slightly miss how bad the first episode was since it also lost being funny. It started well
the start
The...love scene was clearly going to be a dream but didn't see the gore bit coming so nice to have a surprise. Then the conversation between Batiatus and Lucretia was quite fun and by the standards so far, the love scene was positively understated
. There was less gore and sex scenes then the first episode, even with the start the episode had, which isn't a bad thing and there was less blatantly bad dialog or errors/odd leaps with idea's that made the first episode so amusing. Didn't explain well but hope you know what I mean

The dialog and acting is still pretty wooden, I doubt that I'm going to care much for Spartacus or ever admire when the scriptwriters try dramatic. Where it worked was when Glaber and Ilithyia, briefly, but even more so, when Batiatus and Lucretia were on screen, the four of them were well acted and made a good job of the poor dialog they were given. John Hannah did seem to get the best out of those around him, the quality of Spartacus and Oenomaus (the trainer) improved when around him then dipped down again. Slightly worried that
Batiatus
is going to be made a poor lover. Made quite a few hints on that front
. Varro and whoever the
"supplier" was
showed some potential
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:55 pm

It's getting better all the time lalala

The script and dialog is rapidly improving. Don't think John Hannah was good when Batiatus was building up the fights but he was very good the rest of time but that was to be expected, same with his wife and her friend. What made it better was the other actors either starting filling their potential (like Jai Courtney as Varro), coming out of their shell (Peter Mensah as the trainer) or finally being given a decent role (Lesley-Ann Brandt as Naevia), probably helped by finally having something good to work with. Even Spartacus had his moments were I wasn't wishing him getting beaten to a pulp.

The little pieces of back-story/past gladiator fights added some context to characters, it was a nice touch. It felt like they are building stories now, getting more out of characters by doing so and they have certainly cut down on the gore and sexual scenes since first episode. Can slightly overdo it but seems like more for story purposes now

episode stuff+ending
Manu Bennett's performance was a bit erratic but liked how they have given Crixus a love interest and storyline rather then just the champion. I hope to see more of that in the future. Varro's "display" could have been awkward but thanks to giving a slightly humorous angle, the bet, the look on Varro's face when Ilithyia asked him to do it again, seemed to fit in nicely.

I had been enjoying the episode well enough but I had guessed Spartacus would get his fight and then, being the hero, beat Crixus. First part was correct but the second part wasn't and credit to the writers for that. It was a good fight to watch, the crowd's reactions were great and it was great to see the arrogant Spartacus get the beating he deserved. With that arrogant streak taken out of him, I have hopes Spartacus can become a good character and that the annoying part of him had been cleverly done for plot purposes. Also the reaction by Batiatus and co was interesting, the anger of the crowd, the despair of the owner and the annoyance of his wife.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Finished the series tonight. Once it got over the dreadful but hilarious first episode, the boring second episode and got to the third, which set the standard, it was quite a good series. Not brilliant by any means but it had a lot going for it once it settled down, 7/10. The fight scenes were good and generally avoided being too gory, good and multiple story-lines tending to go on, acting that improved a lot so it wasn't just John Hannah holding the show together. Credit to the writers for being willing to take a brave and unexpected changes, to kill off characters and usually killing them to good effect in terms of story and emotions, lots of intresting twists. I liked a lot of the characters: Batiatus, Lucretia, Crixus, Ashur, Ilithyia, Glaber, Varro, Barca, Naevia, Aurelia, Pietros, Solonius, Titus and his family

The big flaw for me was that I disliked Spartacus. Arrogant, a bit of an idiot, a jerk at times, I didn't find much likeable about him. Wasn't fond of Sura, beyond one flashback,
or for that matter
not sure about Mira, at times I like her, other times meh.
Credit to the rest I guess for making up for that flaw

The series peaked in episode 9, a fantastic episode with an excellent ending that offered so much promise. If it helps, it was the one with the golden masks
and big spoiler memory nudger
and where they offer gladiator love services to a relation of Crassus
. Were not going to hit the episode heights again but was awfully disappointed that, after a wonderful twist ending to it, they wasted the potential it gave them
essentially
Ilithyia now under Lucretia's control and their relationship changed by what had happened. They never really explored that relationship, they acknowledged it but put it away in the corner and only briefly brought it went for a few moments, huge waste.
. They could have probably finished the series one or two episodes earlier then they did and gone down a different path for awhile, time will tell if they made the right choice. Thought ending episode didn't really get going till late on but once it did, was a good way to end the series, some moments didn't quite click but others were very good

thoughts on their choice of ending
The writers deserve the benefit of the doubt and it was a brave choice to wipe out so many characters, may well be justified in series 2. I wish they had held off from doing this for at least another series, would have loved to seen something like Batiatus in conflict with Glaber for series 2 then do this mass killing spree at the end of series 2 or 3 since though there were some good storyline potentials had they ended earlier.

Look forward to the prequel
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby dajiangjun » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:40 am

I can't stand shows like this, Rome, and the Tudors because they are not really about history or story as much as they are about pretty costumes, graphic sex and violence, and unintelligent story-lines. If you want to see a good show about the Ancient Greco-Roman world, I would recommend you watch I Claudius. It is truly one of the best historical shows and I dare say one of the best TV shows ever.
dajiangjun
Initiate

Next

Return to The Pub