#SoSZ, our IRC chatroom

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: #SoSZ, our IRC chatroom

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Ranbir wrote:James, I think you should make this unofficial room official, add a link on your menu bar up above for a chat applet that can provide greater accessibility to the room for forum-goers.

Thought about it. What would be a good name for the link? IRC is too techie. 'Chat' might work. I've never integrated IRC with a website before—does anybody know of a good IRC applet?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:19 pm

SoSZ Chat or Chat or something yeah. You could probably offer something similar for the sister site simrtk too, even though it gets a healthy dose of traffic already.

I'm only aware of mibbit, webirc and CGI:IRC. The last is icky perl though. I've used a java based one before, I think it was.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:21 pm

If I come up with something cool I could set it up for SimRTK too. I don't have much time right now to research clients, but if someone could share information about a few winners that would be awesome. Otherwise I'll try to get around to it. Life's been very busy lately!
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:29 pm

I might be able to chip in, depends on whether I have to get my head around another language. (I gave up PERL)
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:50 pm

Yeah, Perl is a pain in the ass. We're probably better off going with a simple Java Applet.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Qu Hui » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Mibbit has an applet/widget for a website. I'm not sure how that would work, though.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:59 pm

Ok, ever since that first tie I logged on, I can't seem to get onto it anymore and yet been doing the same thing I did then!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Qu Hui » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:01 pm

SunXia wrote:Ok, ever since that first tie I logged on, I can't seem to get onto it anymore and yet been doing the same thing I did then!!

What client are you using?

EDIT: Also, are you sure that you're on the LunarNet server?
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:05 pm

Hi folks,

Does this link look like something worth using as a web portal to the SoSZ chat?
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:10 pm

Embedded IRC App. Both Mibbit.

I could probably strip out those advertisements... without paying...
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub