#SoSZ, our IRC chatroom

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: #SoSZ, our IRC chatroom

Unread postby Mitsunari » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:44 pm

PrincessHall123 wrote:I have reviewed your existing chat software you are using and I would like to say, I am very confident that you and your users will find Chatwing a much better alternative as Chatwing has many more features and controls than the current chat tool you are using and Chatwing is 100% Free. Check it out here: Link removed

I call Spam?

Is advertising at SoSZ suddenly permissive without an administrator's clearance?

Since this, ironically, bumped my response to Qu Hui out of immediate sight (if anyone actually gives a hoot) I'll quote it to re-emphasise the point I raised (at the risk of Spamming, again ironically, which I apologise for in advance):

Thank you for taking the time to reply, Qu Hui.

I'm sure you could discuss most, if not all of those subjects here, Qu Hui? Where newer members and forum-conventionalist plonkers like myself could also contribute, for instance. I realise there is a dearth of activity anyway at the moment, but it's the responsibility of more senior members to at least attempt to stimulate some activity, would you agree? Or, in this age of brevity and convenience, has the art of protracted conversation and debate become tedious or trite?

Active discussions and positive, flowing interactions between a decent amount of members and staff would in turn create a less 'clique-y' and 'indifferent' veneer. Of course, this is merely my own opinion based on a few observations, I don't mean to stir any antagonism; my interest is purely on the 'health' of SoSZ. If it's acceptable to permit and observe it's decline without even trying to intervene, then I'll simply retract my comments.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Sean » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:45 am

Mitsunari wrote:I'm sure you could discuss most, if not all of those subjects here, Qu Hui? Where newer members and forum-conventionalist plonkers like myself could also contribute, for instance. I realise there is a dearth of activity anyway at the moment, but it's the responsibility of more senior members to at least attempt to stimulate some activity, would you agree? Or, in this age of brevity and convenience, has the art of protracted conversation and debate become tedious or trite?

Active discussions and positive, flowing interactions between a decent amount of members and staff would in turn create a less 'clique-y' and 'indifferent' veneer. Of course, this is merely my own opinion based on a few observations, I don't mean to stir any antagonism; my interest is purely on the 'health' of SoSZ. If it's acceptable to permit and observe it's decline without even trying to intervene, then I'll simply retract my comments.

I'm not quite sure what the issue seems to be.
It's not the most active channel, sure, but there are discussions. I promise you that. The people who frequent #SoSZ do not make up their own "clique". The people who frequent #SoSZ are all forum members, and some of them were even active forum posters at one point in time. *cough*

As for the conversations that take place in the channel, I'd rather treat it as nothing more than social interaction. The conversation topics that take place in the channel don't have a specific standard to follow, it does not have to pertain to threads and discussions that you would normally find on the channel. It is a chatroom, no more and no less. Yes, sometimes we talk about things that take place on the forum. Sometimes we talk about things pertaining to RoTK. Sometimes we talk about something completely different like video games or things going on in our daily lives.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to join the channel and participate in the tomfoolery that takes place in the channel every now and again. Just because there are people in the channel and no one says anything does not mean that they are uninterested in talking. #SoSZ is most certainly not its own "clique".
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:59 am

Spammer squashed. Advertising is still not permitted but we don't want to block members from posting URLs. In the future please flag spam posts and a moderator/admin will take care of it. I am removing the spam link from the post you quoted.

---

I think the chat and the forum serve quite different functions, and it's hard to say if the chat draws attention away from the forum. Do drop by and take a look for yourself. Chat is quite... chatty, in a way that doesn't really square with the spirit of the forum. It's more spontaneous rants about life and games and just random stuff than serious exchanges of ideas and information. Also, not everyone on chat is/has been a regular member on the forum, and those of us who are, are still posting here. I'd like to think of the chat as another venue for members to interact with each other, in a less structured setting, rather than as something that supplants the forum proper.

Personally, I had been posting less on the forum long before I joined the chat. My life has changed quite a bit from the days when I was still associated with a university, and I just don't have the same energy and resources to contribute to discussions in the same volume as I did before. I'm sure there are others who have "moved on", not out of laziness or desire for convenience, but due to other circumstances. Chat provides a way for them to stay connected to the community without having to think up things to say about RTK or DW or history or whatnot.

None of us want to see SoSZ decline, as this is the place that brought us together in the first place, and is still a nice, sane corner of the intertubez. By all means, if you have ideas to share with the forum, or have discussion topics that can stimulate discussion, go ahead and post! And if you need to unwind a bit and chew the fat with fellow SoSZers, feel free to stop by chat and say hi. Everyone is always welcome. :)
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Qu Hui » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:29 am

Honestly, I don’t think we could discuss a lot of the things we talk about on the board, simply because most of our conversations are either spontaneous/real-time based or not entirely appropriate for the more rigid structure of the forum. Also, I think it’s unfair to assume that our conversations are short or lacking in depth just because we’re a chatroom. We’ve had hours-spanning conversations on a variety of topics that are, as mentioned, not always related to the board.

I still post to the board as regularly as I can, but I’ve been burned out on the Three Kingdoms for a while. My intention in starting the chat certainly wasn’t to create a clique, and I don’t think that we are one; it’s open to everyone who wants to join. Also, some of the chat regulars are board members who simply are no longer interested in posting on the board and had lost interest even before the chat existed. As for SoSZ’s declining health, I’d say that has more to do with a general lack of interest in the Three Kingdoms period rather than anything to do with the chat.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:38 am

I'd say it is very cliquey and on some occasions rude* and selfish. But that's okay, we have multiple mediums now to let people express themselves.

*There have been more than one instance of sniping commentary of new forum users, some from supposed paragons of virtue. It can create an environment that feels cut off as if to get away with saying things one couldn't normally say directly on the web forum which is not cool.

The more users it gets the more balanced it can yet.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Mitsunari » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:42 am

I understand that 3K isn't 'in' anymore, bizarrely coinciding with the decline in interest of the DW series, but I was addressing a concern that I thought may be contributing to the overall health of SoSZ and I was interested to glean an insight from the IRC Chat users.

Like Ranbir elaborated on, I feared it was not only driving discussions away from the forum, but the chat facility was being utilised as a 'getaway' where members would, essentially, bitch and gripe about fellow SoSZ.

The consensus is very much in favour of the IRC Chat's merits, so I retract the concerns I aired.
Mitsunari

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Sean wrote:
The people who frequent #SoSZ are all forum members, and some of them were even active forum posters at one point in time. *cough*

I think this is the point that Mitten's is gearing towards. I've certainly noticed a decline in the activity of the Pub section of the board since the birth of #SoSZ and many of the people who posted primarily in there tend to stick to #SoSZ. There is nothing wrong with that if people are happier focusing their attention in the chat room, but it's something worth discussing just to make sure that it's something the staff is also aware off.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:39 pm

Hmm, nobody else has a supporting stance on the merits of the IRC chat, yet activity on the forum decreases more?

Are my concerns being illustrated with greater emphasis, or am I simply wasting my time regardless?!
Mitsunari

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Think we just recently had a good cliquey example.

Keep in mind, not a lot of people are using the chat room, so it can't really affect the forum too much.

It is mostly just two people talking about gay RTK fiction, mostly.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Mitsunari » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Ranbir wrote:Think we just recently had a good cliquey example.

Keep in mind, not a lot of people are using the chat room, so it can't really affect the forum too much.

It is mostly just two people talking about gay RTK fiction, mostly.

Yuh-huh, indeedy-do.

Wow, I bet those discussions would get one's spectacles steamed up, count me in.
Mitsunari

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub