#SoSZ, our IRC chatroom

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: #SoSZ, our IRC chatroom

Unread postby SunXia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:45 pm

I like the chat and I'm fine having somewhere I can drop in and have a discussion on things where I am not waiting around for a reply for a few hours!!

As Lady Wu states it serves a completely different function than the Forum, say I would express irritation with like losing in a game or something!! I chat using a lot of different mediums!! I used to use Freenode a lot but only cause someone made me to try and make another Chat function i used look bad and only made it look better to me!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Nazne » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:17 am

And the two people who talk about gay RTK fiction were never actually regular posters on the forums!

I understand how distressing it is to see a forum start dwindling in activity and posters; I went through that for my favorite childhood anime fandom. But that fan-forum dwindled due to the completion of the series it was based on and the lack of new and engaging material, not to the active participation of members in its chatroom (which contained mostly people trying to be cute and ranting about various completely-unrelated things, none of which anyone would have wanted to put into a thread).

While this decline in interest may also be responsible for the lack of activity in SoSZ, SoSZ has the benefit of being based on a much-beloved period of history which constantly gets series and games made for it. When new fans chase new materials and wander in, I'm pretty sure the forums'll be active again. But in the meanwhile, it makes little sense to suggest that a chatroom that averages 8 people at peak time, many of them not even regular posters, is responsible for the decline of a board with thousands of members.
先主復領益州牧,諸葛亮為股肱,法正為謀主,關羽、張飛、馬超為爪牙,許靖、麋竺、簡雍為賓友。
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby Mitsunari » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:22 pm

Nazne wrote:While this decline in interest may also be responsible for the lack of activity in SoSZ, SoSZ has the benefit of being based on a much-beloved period of history which constantly gets series and games made for it. When new fans chase new materials and wander in, I'm pretty sure the forums'll be active again. But in the meanwhile, it makes little sense to suggest that a chatroom that averages 8 people at peak time, many of them not even regular posters, is responsible for the decline of a board with thousands of members.

I didn't suggest such a thing, Nazne, forgive my correction:

I merely voiced a concern based on a few observations - it was more of a query aimed at garnering opinions of the chatroom's primary users. Two of these members offered opinions that went some way to confirming the concern I posed, however the overall majority have expounded it's merits...thus any concern of mine is rendered obsolete.

I know firsthand how fickle and 'wax/wane' a forum's user-base can be; during a more engaging period of online community's 'lure', I found it incredibly difficult to acquire, retain and sustain a forum that members would want to be a part of. SoSZ will probably have another renaissance or two, one has to be patient I suppose. :wink:
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby SunXia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:46 am

I see nothing cliquey of the sort in the Chatroom!! Yes concerns have been raised for example if there is a user causing disruptions and breaking rules then yes the subject is naturally brought up as the chatroom is more for people to be among friends to be closer!!

A clique or cliquey atmosphere in a social aspect describes an aggressive setting where some people usually dominate which suggests people are being deliberately excluded which they are not!! This thread has been open since the chatroom existed it was never a private imagining for exclusive people!!

Also it is not used for people to go and get away with saying stuff they wouldn't say on the Forum!! Most of us are not kids and those that are a bit young discuss Erotic stuff that usually makes me doze off but we go there to chinwag!! It's not like going behind one of the science mobiles in school and having a cigarette, there is nothing that happens there that wouldn't happen here only for the fact that posts are meant to have substance and discussion!! Like last night I was basically ranting about leveling a Pineco in Pokemon and how boring it is for a Pokemon!! And I also learned of the term Slash Goggles although would probably just call that Romantic Goggles but whatever I personally don't look at random stories and link unrelated or worse related characters, especially when they're married!!

Indeed like any social place, concerns are discussed or frustrations are discussed, this is natural among humans and the chatroom is not the only place this sort of thing happens!! I was part of a Skype group of a number of us and we invited other but nobody was really interested in it!! Admittedly I left it as I was not contributing to it at all but it was a much easier way to communicate with people on a regular basis!! Like I would leave the chat if I found myself dozing off because something I have little to minus numbers interest in is being discussed!!

I have many friends on Skype that are from Wikia and not even the Wiki that I work on but other Wikis, we used the Wiki Chat feature initially but Skype became easier as it meant we could talk when we didn't necessarily want to go onto Wikia to get bombarded with questions when to be honest we only ad 20 minutes to spare and just want to relax!! It doesn't take away from our contributions on the site itself!!

I honestly do not understand the concern due to the very different functions the Forum and Chat provide!! I also did not understand people using the word Cliquey is the rude way given there are no dominating personalities in the Chat there are just people who talk a lot and those who sit back and read a lot!! Did you hear something bad about the Chat or were you just feeling left out because you can't get onto it often?? I don't get onto it much, mostly I forget about browser chat features until someone reminds me but I don't feel like I miss things (except one horrible creepy experience) because if I have chosen not to go there I can't really get annoyed about it!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:49 am

You are barely there.

I see a clique, it is blatantly obvious. at the basic level there is, ultimately, an IRC clique to start things off. You're applying this aggressive add-on to it, when no-one has suggested anything like that, outside of my well remembered moments of when the clique were enjoying talking in a negative way about forum users that weren't on IRC. I stamped that shit out.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Mitsunari » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:42 am

SunXia wrote:Did you hear something bad about the Chat or were you just feeling left out because you can't get onto it often?? I don't get onto it much, mostly I forget about browser chat features until someone reminds me but I don't feel like I miss things (except one horrible creepy experience) because if I have chosen not to go there I can't really get annoyed about it!!

No, nothing particularly negative, I made a few observations and deduced that the IRC Chat might be clique-oriented and thus it was drawing interest/conversations away from the forum. In a manner that any instant messaging service hasn't, previously.

Popularity isn't important to me, in the slightest, I'm either accepted or not; I've spent a vast proportion of my life trying to fit in with conventions, norms and acquiring peer acceptance, I simply have no interest in being unfaithful to my 'introverted yet grumpily caring' nature just to revel in a mirage of acceptance. I like one-on-one conversations, or secure open discussions, a chatroom is not my cup of tea to be honest.

Ranbir wrote:
I see a clique, it is blatantly obvious. at the basic level there is, ultimately, an IRC clique to start things off. You're applying this aggressive add-on to it, when no-one has suggested anything like that, outside of my well remembered moments of when the clique were enjoying talking in a negative way about forum users that weren't on IRC. I stamped that shit out.

It's gratifying to know I'm not losing my 'spider-sense' about this sort of thing. :wink:

Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion, I dunno, I just tend to 'call 'em as I see 'em'...my concerns hold no substance without a majority favour, despite some glaring accuracies.
Mitsunari

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:45 pm

I would say that a lot of conversation that use to occur in threads like 'I have a problem', 'girlfriend' and 'how's your day?' have moved in to the chat room. Certainly I often log in there instead of posting in those threads as I like an instant response. As I've said earlier this isn't necessarily a problem, but rather the pretending that it doesn't exist it's better have it out in the open and acknowledge that’s the case and make a decision on whether that is what we, as a board want. It seems obvious to me that for the most part people here are happy with how it works right now.

I also agree with Ranbir that at times we have complained about certain members, I've been guilty of that before, sometimes my concerns have been valid and sometimes I've just been enjoying a good bitch. I think this has led to 'tag-teaming' style on members at different times. I also agree with Ranbir that for the most part this has been phased out now.

There is very much a group of people who do use the chatroom and are closer friends, but I don't think that this is automatically a clique. For example you have me, Mittens, Shu Royin, Aaron K and others who were part of SJA and are close but I doubt we're seen as a clique and so on and so forth. A clique IMO is an unhealthy thing and maybe I'm not in the chatroom enough anymore to see what is going on but that isn't my feeling on it right now.

I think the conclusions to this conversation are that:

-The forum is going through a quiet time at the moment
-The Pub which is often the section that keeps busiest during this era's is suffering, perhaps because of the Chat Room
-However our members are happy with this so there isn't a reason to change
-The people who use the chat room are a close-knit community
- Whilst they/we aren't cliquey at the moment we should perhaps just try and keep it in mind that it is very easy to slip in to that trap.

Is that fair?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Is that fair?

It certainly is, me ol' overflowing Tankard of Diplomacy. :wink:

Attention has been drawn to my concerns; only time and vigilance will prevent them from degenerating into overtly detrimental issues that will mar any future upturn in SoSZ's fortunes.

That is all.
Mitsunari

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:06 pm

[14:02] <cyphane> ...Anyway, my grandparents are yelling at me.
[14:02] <Guest79203> haha ok
[14:03] <cyphane> brb, hopefully.
[14:03] <cyphane> If the connection doesn't break down again in two minutes. <_<
[14:28] <cyphane> ...Does this thing still work?
[14:28] <cyphane> Seems so!
[14:29] <cyphane> This is the longest it's stayed connected.
[14:29] *** TC|Away quit (Ping timeout)
[14:34] <cyphane> I'll ramble a bit, I guess.
[14:34] <cyphane> Beijing's been mostly blue skies so far.
[14:34] <cyphane> Autumn really is the best season to be here.
[14:34] <cyphane> Although the insect life here's insane.
[14:34] <cyphane> I saw my first real praying mantis.
[14:34] <cyphane> It was metallic gold-green and easily three inches long.
[14:35] <cyphane> And there's still mosquitos.
[14:35] <cyphane> The really nasty kind, that raise bumps two inches across.
[14:35] <cyphane> The AP American History classroom is plagued with them.
[14:36] <cyphane> And there's giant hairy caterpillars on the trees.
[14:36] <cyphane> They're the pollution-resistant planetree hybrids with bark that peels off once it grows too hold.
[14:36] <cyphane> *old
[14:37] <cyphane> I've only read about them.
[14:38] <cyphane> And everything here rouses my germophobic self-preservational instincts.
[14:38] <cyphane> There's no hand soap in the bathrooms at school.
[14:39] <cyphane> Except for the one in the admin building, which I sneak into when I can. <_<
[14:39] <cyphane> You have to bring your own toilet paper, too.
[14:39] <cyphane> *None* of the bathrooms here have toilet paper.
[14:40] <cyphane> And there's exactly one working sitting toilet in the school.
[14:40] <cyphane> And its stall door is broken.
[14:41] <cyphane> I've given up on using it, sigh.
[14:41] <cyphane> And the cafeteria only provides spoons in the cutlery department.
[14:41] <cyphane> It charges ten cents for chopsticks.
[14:42] <cyphane> Oh, right, and the bathrooms smell terrible.
[14:42] <cyphane> You're supposed to throw your toilet paper into little trash bins in the stalls.
[14:42] <cyphane> Since they don't want the toilets to get clogged.
[14:43] <cyphane> But the bins don't have lids, and they're cleaned out maybe once a day.
[14:43] <cyphane> I decided not to take AP Psychology because the room was located across from a bathroom, and I could smell it even while sitting next to the window.
[14:43] <cyphane> And also because the teacher was scarily patriotic, but I digress.
[14:44] <cyphane> I've seen exactly one white kid in the entire school.
[14:44] <cyphane> There are some Koreans, but no Japanese.
[14:44] <cyphane> And there's almost no transfer students at the higher grades.
[14:45] <cyphane> The only senior transferring in besides me is this girl from Hong Kong.
[14:45] <cyphane> We bonded together over the condition of the bathrooms.
[14:46] <cyphane> She's also pretty good with languages, which helps.
[14:47] <cyphane> ...Okay, bedtime for me. <_<
[14:48] <cyphane> Bye!
[14:48] <cyphane> School wifi is unstable and crazy limited, but I'll be back for National Day break soon, at least.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:53 pm

Hwæt, ladies and gents, I haven't disappeared from your chatroom completely (I know how worried you were). My computer is stowed away while my basement undergoes renovations. :idea:
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub