#SoSZ, our IRC chatroom

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: #SoSZ, our IRC chatroom

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:33 pm

Qu Hui wrote:That's a pretty good idea. Which is exactly why I'm proposing the Weekly Discussion. The Weekly Discussion will be a period of time in which the IRC channel will be dedicated to discussing a specific topic. I'm very interested in hearing what everyone thinks. Post here or go to #SoSZ on LunarNet with your feedback.

Only problem I've got is that I'll miss out on the conversations being in the wrong time zone!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:49 pm

Qu Hui wrote:Also, the official code of laws that was practically ripped off from the #SimRTK rules has been written up. Please take a moment to read over them and, if you have any comments or concerns, PM me or come on to the channel and discuss them.

Considering those simrtk laws barely get enforced on simrtk, good luck.

James, I think you should make this unofficial room official, add a link on your menu bar up above for a chat applet that can provide greater accessibility to the room for forum-goers.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby SunXia » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:03 pm

Really, nobody's been here for quite a while!! Are you telling me people will only chat at like, midnight my area time?? Oh buggar!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:14 pm

lies I'm there.

I had some very stimulating conversations today with Sean about the differences between my interpretation of Lu Bu and the cultural interpretation of him.

HAVING said that I'll be away on holidays for like a week starting day after tomorrow so...you know.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:35 pm

Have I been doing something wrong??

Name = SunXia
Channel = #SoSZ
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:24 pm

SunXia wrote:Have I been doing something wrong??

Seems like it. You should at least be able to see Qu_Hui, he's always there. No error messages? Mine looks like:

***Connecting to irc.lunarnet.org (6667)

-eldrasia.cv.uk.lunarnet.org- *** Looking up your hostname...
-eldrasia.cv.uk.lunarnet.org- *** Checking ident...
-eldrasia.cv.uk.lunarnet.org- *** Found your hostname
-eldrasia.cv.uk.lunarnet.org- *** No ident response; username prefixed with ~
***You're not on a channel

and then I type #SoSZ and press the "Join" button

It's definitely a bummer that there doesn't seem to be a time that works out perfectly for Britain, NA east coast and NA west coast [edit: and Australia. Sorry I almost forgot you guys!]. But I think we should just try the Weekly Discussion thing and see what happens. Seems like the difficult thing is to pick a topic that makes for a good chat. "How was your day?" is popular here on the forum but doesn't really fit the bill, for example.
Last edited by Tigger of Kai on Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sean » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Crazedmongoose wrote:I had some very stimulating conversations today with Sean about the differences between my interpretation of Lu Bu and the cultural interpretation of him.

:lol:
For you it might have been stimulating, but for me it was almost 3am and I barely remember any of it. I just remember calling LGZ a slanderous liar. But yes, the point stands that, despite not having over 10 members on IRC at any given time, there have been discussions going back and forth!

Since I'm on break until late January I'll be on IRC as long as I'm at my laptop. Should I decide to go out of my seat for something that requires getting up, I won't quit the room or anything. Once the semester kicks in, I should be online after 3pm PST on weekdays, and sometimes earlier.

Tigger of Kai wrote:It's definitely a bummer that there doesn't seem to be a time that works out perfectly for Britain, NA east coast and NA west coast. But I think we should just try the Weekly Discussion thing and see what happens. Seems like the difficult thing is to pick a topic that makes for a good chat. "How was your day?" is popular here on the forum but doesn't really fit the bill, for example.

Perhaps use that to start off, like a test thing and see what happens? Depending on the crowd that IRC attracts, you might need different topics for different people, the way I see it. Some people who frequent Current Affairs might not be into the whole IRC/online chatroom deal, for example. This might not be true, it's just an example.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:41 pm

Really, in any other room the best topics of conversation come up spontaneously. Or if someone links a news story and we run off on that, giving our opinions on it.

But yeah, just try to stay connected for as long as your computer is on. Maybe if you're at work or whatever, it increases probability of chats occurring.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Ranbir wrote:Really, in any other room the best topics of conversation come up spontaneously. Or if someone links a news story and we run off on that, giving our opinions on it.

But yeah, just try to stay connected for as long as your computer is on. Maybe if you're at work or whatever, it increases probability of chats occurring.

I'm on as long as I'm on my laptop. Won't be able to do that at school. Will be blocked!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sean » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:53 am

If it could possibly help, I wonder if we can put up a list of the time zones of people who frequent the IRC chatroom the most. That way it could be easier to track down potential users who are up for discussion of x y z topics.

Also, if you have the time to be online, please don't leave after 10 seconds because there's no activity. It doesn't take up a lot of CPU memory to keep that chatroom tab up.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub