What will you name your children?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: What will you name your children?

Unread postby mrbeate » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:12 pm

Name my kid Lau Ching :D
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:32 am

GuoBia wrote:Other than that, I had kids I would NEVER give them an English name. No way, no way, no way!!!!!! D: They'll end up with a Thai or Chinese one (no one in my family has an English real name and no way are my kids going to be the first).

I respect this - I actually feel pretty much the same way. Problem is, if (hypothetically) the two of us ever get married and have kids, I would insist on English names for our kids and it would probably be an all-out battle which I would lose. :)

William and Jacob are my preferences right now, actually, for boys (both of those are old Cooper names). Hannah is still a good girl's name, though I'm thinking my backup now would be Phoebe.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:04 am

Patricoo wrote:I am Charles Patrick S. the fourth.

There will be a fifth. Nothing else is an option.

Similar to Patricco here, I am Robert E. Crandall the III. So if I have male offspring, it will be a fourth.

As for a girl, I've always favored Isabella or Isabel. I'm sure my wife would probably get most of the say though.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Catalyst » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:03 pm

(Resurrecting a thread)

So, I do intend to eventually at least have a child (though I'd prefer they just skip to the whole being awesome part of life and ignore the whole not being awesome part). And I've come up with some names that I'd like them to have. Full names provided on the first 2, so you get the ring of it.

For boys: Jason Sagan Cooper (yes, named for Carl Sagan), Alexander Tycho, Gabriel Hoban
For girls: Anastasia November Cooper, Ambellina Marie, Kara Hypatia, Kaylee Artemis
Catalyst
Apostle of Peace

Unread postby fly_west » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:16 pm

I've put some thought into this as my life has gone on, but I've never came to a "for sure" conclusion. If I had a daughter, I've always liked the name Evelyn, and it's a family name that has been passed down for a long time. As for a middle name, I'd probably go with Jennifer. So she'd be Evelyn Jennifer Carter. Does that sound good? I've never been good at this sort of thing. I always just figured I'd through in my two cents, and let the mother of the child decide. :)

Reminder: Never give Cao Cao a place to stay for the night and a good meal. He'll kill you and your entire family. :)
fly_west
Assistant

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:28 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:I respect this - I actually feel pretty much the same way. Problem is, if (hypothetically) the two of us ever get married and have kids, I would insist on English names for our kids and it would probably be an all-out battle which I would lose.

I knew quite a few Vietnamese girls who'd go both ways with it; it was kind of weird growing up with girls named something like Ngoc Bich and one day being told "No, Baijiu, my name is Crystal."

I suppose if I ever ended up in a situation like this, the kid would be given two names, one in line with the mother's culture and a second in line with mine, and the kid can pick out whatever name he/she wants to use for him/herself when he/she's old enough. Yeah, I know, I'll probably give the brat an identity crisis or something.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:12 pm

I always found it interesting when people state what they will name their children. There is one thing I've noticed from this page and it's uniform.

The fail in mentioning the partner or spouse, and their preference. They will more than likely have a say in it and that means compromise. Likely only a first or middle name that is selected will end up making it as that child's name.

This is based on personal experience :wink:

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby GuoBia » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:53 pm

Well it's not like most of us know who's gonna be our partner or spouse. XD

You know I'm actually fond of names in sets. Like my sisters and I all have the character Ai (yes, love) as the beginning of our names... Ai-Rin, Ai-Bia, Ai-Kia (yes, like IKEA) in our dialect. I think in Mandarin it's Ai-Ling, Ai-Bing, and... Something....... But yeah, it's cute.

But yeah, sets. So if I had two boys one'd be Jack and the other Daniels. So when I call them I can be like "Where's my Jack Daniels?"

I WANT TO NAME MY KIDS AFTER PROTEINS/GENES. OwO Right now I shall name my firstborn Bax, then Apaf, then Caspase. Then I can call them in that order and they shall ROCK at cell biology.

Sun Fin, I'm sorry but I have to agree... You shall name your child Atticus. And if it's a girl then Scout.

Because that will be PURE WIN.

Like pure amounts of win.
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:59 pm

GuoBia wrote:Well it's not like most of us know who's gonna be our partner or spouse. XD

I know. :wink:

I was pointing out that in all those 'I'm going to name my child this or that' statements, there wasn't a mention of something like 'When I get married or have a child with my partner, I'll see if we can name our child this --'.

I don't believe everyone that posted were too young to recognize this.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerGeneral6 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:28 am

Its just for fun Zhuanyong, it's not to be taken totally literally really, and theres really no need to clarify that its only in accordance to the spouses approval because it's a given really.

I'm not sure really, I like Guo Bia's Scout for a girl. I also like the name Sky for either gender. For a boy, maybe something like Leonardo or Brendan. :mrgreen:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Fear Denies Faith
TigerGeneral6
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub