What will you name your children?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

What will you name your children?

Unread postby azn099 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:38 pm

So when you have kids what will you name them?
For those that already have kids, what are their names?

Boy
Jason - I've always liked this name.
Weixing - Sounds cool even if the English translation sounds odd lol.

Girl
Sun - I like it because you know it's Sun!
Andrea - It sounds so cool.
azn099
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: What will you name your children?

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:07 pm

azn099, which 'wei' and which 'xing'? 'Jason' and 'Andrea' are cool names, though.

Me? I don't have any kids, and I'm not married - chances are my at-this-point-hypothetical wife will end up hating my name choices, though.

Boy
Siegfried - I like the meaning, 'victorious peace'. Also, nickname would be 'Fred' or 'Freddie'; probably not 'Siggy'.
Holden - My grandfather's name. Means 'deep valley'.

Girl
Anne or Hannah 'grace' - One of my best friends from my Madison days was named Hannah.
Elizabeth or some variant thereof - I'm a big fan of Queen Elizabeth I.

My choices seem to be kind of Northern European-ish...
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby azn099 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:01 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:azn099, which 'wei' and which 'xing'?

The ones that make up the word satellite lol.
azn099
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby English_Druid » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:07 pm

If I ever have children, I won't name them, I will number them in the order that they *plopped* out.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:46 pm

English_Druid wrote:If I ever have children, I won't name them, I will number them in the order that they *plopped* out.

That was a popular scheme among Italians in the old days. My grandfather's name was Settimio ("seventh"). Once in a while I still encounter guys named Primo, or Secondo.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:07 pm

This is something that regularly changes for me!! My cousin is pregnant and it's so exciting considering we're like sisters since she has no siblings so she was always with me!! For her we were thinking either Ronan or Eve (I wanted to nickname her Evee) but it looks like she's going to have a boyso Ronan it is or perhap something else if he doesn't look like a Ronan!!

For me:

Girls: (I love names that begins with an 'A' for girls)
Arianna - I've always loved this name and people keep telling me it doesn't exist, well I met an Arianna over the summer!!
Abigail - Another 'A' which I love, its so nice but my friend called her little one Abi so I might change that...

Boys:
Matthew - Nicknamed Mattie, but after my younger brother really, Gift of God!!
Rocco - No idea what it means but I saw it in a book once and loved it!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby James » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:38 am

Is it strange that this is something I have never really considered?

I can't exactly adopt the same principle I have used to name pets. I've had cats named 'Tabby', 'Popsicle', 'Blackie', 'Stinky' and 'Dusty'. This doesn't necessarily bode well for any future children I might have. I guess any potential partner will be pleased to discover that I haven't come up with my own names for the children they named long before I met them... :)

Tigger of Kai wrote:That was a popular scheme among Italians in the old days. My grandfather's name was Settimio ("seventh"). Once in a while I still encounter guys named Primo, or Secondo.

A similar practice was also common during our beloved Three Kingdoms era. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:51 am

You should name your male children 'Adrian'. Seriously, it derives from the Latin for 'dark' so they can pretend it has a cool, ancient meaning. And several Popes and an Emperor of Rome (Hadrian - it's like Christy with a 'ch' vs. Kristy w/a 'K') were named Adrian. Keep Greco-Roman names alive!

Seriously though, I'm not particularly interested in fathering any children right now, and that's probably good since my habit in naming characters in Guild Wars right now is running to characters from Dostoeyevsky novels. Alexei Fyodorovich Loder probably isn't the best name around...

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby James » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:59 am

Liu Yuante wrote:You should name your male children 'Adrian'. Seriously, it derives from the Latin for 'dark' so they can pretend it has a cool, ancient meaning. And several Popes and an Emperor of Rome (Hadrian - it's like Christy with a 'ch' vs. Kristy w/a 'K') were named Adrian. Keep Greco-Roman names alive!

Ulterior motives! You fiend!
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:07 am

James wrote:Ulterior motives! You fiend!

It's a great name! Preserve continuity from the classical era!

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Next

Return to The Pub