Dragonball

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Dragonball

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:49 pm

Ranbir wrote:The two films achieved that. They paced it brilliantly and provided a resolution which is not an incentive for TV - which like to drag it as long as humanly possible.

That's good to know. I may yet see the movies, so I'll have to wait and see...

Regarding DBE:

Ladies and gentlemen, today we prepare for a long hard winter of discontent and/or lulz. It's now all but certain that this movie will have to suck and blow simultaneously with a hardness hithertofore unseen in the history of film (yet possible) to be a flop, thus precluding any sequels. (I am looking forward to the Mike Nelson RiffTrax of DBE also...)

Incidentally, the first reviews are out.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Bryan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:56 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, today we prepare for a long hard winter of discontent and/or lulz. It's now all but certain that this movie will have to suck and blow simultaneously with a hardness hithertofore unseen in the history of film (yet possible) to be a flop, thus precluding any sequels.

So, wait... you actually had hope? Oh, you poor soul.

This was a bad idea from the beginning when they first uttered those abominable words: "Hey guy! Idea: Dragonball movie!"
Then again, I hate Hollywood.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mike » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:38 pm

Bryan wrote:This was a bad idea from the beginning when they first uttered those abominable words: "Hey guy! Idea: Dragonball movie!"
Then again, I hate Hollywood.

I blame Stephen Chow for this mess. How the mighty have fallen since The God of Cookery.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:48 pm

Mike wrote:I blame Stephen Chow for this mess. How the mighty have fallen since The God of Cookery.

HEY! Blasphemy of the name of the Holy Trinity of the God of Cookery, and of the Kung Fu Hustler and of the Golden Leg is a dire offence! Stephen Chow, by the divine power of wulitou 无厘头 with which he defeated Chuck Norris, is second only to the Man in terms of sheer l33tness.

If DBE fails, it will be only because James Wong has failed to comprehend the sheer power of the Eternal Wulitou.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Mike » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:17 am

WeiWenDi wrote:HEY! Blasphemy of the name of the Holy Trinity of the God of Cookery, and of the Kung Fu Hustler and of the Golden Leg is a dire offence! Stephen Chow, by the divine power of wulitou 无厘头 with which he defeated Chuck Norris, is second only to the Man in terms of sheer l33tness.

Bah. Thumbs down to both Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle. The Holy Trinity of 無釐頭 is King of Beggars, Forbidden City Cop, and God of Cookery.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:31 pm

Huh. I don't recall seeing King of Beggars, but I do remember not being particularly impressed with Forbidden City Cop. God of Cookery is genius, naturally. I agree that Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle were largely riffs on the same formula, but I really did appreciate the wulitou-esque fanservice riffs on The Matrix, Blade Runner, The Karate Kid, Michael Jackson, Chinese pop stars and every Feng Xiaogang movie ever made in the latter two movies - different strokes for different folks, I guess?

On a more serious note, I really don't think the failure of DBE can be laid at the feet of Zhou Xingchi - well, maybe indirectly. He did say explicitly that he wouldn't take an active role in the direction or writing, which - maybe - the movie might have been better off if it Zhou Xingchi had done some creative work with it.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Mike » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:51 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:Huh. I don't recall seeing King of Beggars, but I do remember not being particularly impressed with Forbidden City Cop. God of Cookery is genius, naturally.

Ah you should see King of Beggars...classic Stephen Chow!

WeiWenDi wrote:On a more serious note, I really don't think the failure of DBE can be laid at the feet of Zhou Xingchi - well, maybe indirectly. He did say explicitly that he wouldn't take an active role in the direction or writing, which - maybe - the movie might have been better off if it Zhou Xingchi had done some creative work with it.

Well said. Chow's lack of active involvement really hurt this movie I think. Anyhow, you could say that this movie is mo lei tau (excuse my Cantonese) in a literal sense.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:41 pm

Okay - some thoughts on DBE:

The budget was fairly obviously low and the plot had a number of dragonball-sized holes in it. In short, it was an enjoyably bad action flick, on about the same level as Corey Yuan's DOA: Dead or Alive. But I wasn't really expecting anything more. It would have been an excellent popcorn movie if it didn't have the label of Dragonball on it.

Acting. I thought from the TV spots that Chatwin's Goku looked more like Daniel LaRusso from The Karate Kid, and that hunch turned out to be dead-on, except that Daniel LaRusso's character demonstrably develops and matures, whereas Chatwin's Goku... doesn't. (Not that he has much opportunity.) I could see occasional flashes of Toriyama's Son Goku in Chatwin's character, but that's about it. Likewise, Chow Yun Fat's Kamesen'nin showed occasional flashes of the dirty-old-hermit-in-a-turtle-shell, but not enough to impress. Rossum did well as Bulma, and Joon Park's Yamcha is probably the one bright spot in an otherwise poorly-characterised movie. As for Marsters - this film needz moar of him.

Plot. Basically there to get you from one fight scene to the next. Piccolo is evil alien dude, wants to destroy world and is obviously capable of doing so, so WTF is he doing collecting the dragonballs? Goku/Chichi romance was Twilight-level ridiculous: I'll be honest, I liked Bulma/Yamcha better, but that's saying zip. Cliffhanger at the end has all the dramatic timing and gravitas of Kalgan's awakening at the end of Space Mutiny.

Special effects were passable - the best moment being the end fight with Piccolo and the Kamehameha, and I would have appreciated the background attempts to remind us that this was based on the world Toriyama created if it weren't for it being populated by imbeciles.

Entertainingly cheesy, but it didn't feel like Dragonball. Coulda been worse.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:41 pm

Saw the movie and got to say it sucked on the biggest basis ever. I told you guys, especially you Wei, that the movie would suck in theaters and guess who called. They destroyed everything good about Dragonball and they kept talking about airbending like it was the Avatar The Last Airbender. The attacks are pure energy and Goku being a demon who served Piccolo 2,000 years ago what the heck was that about?
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Marc » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:38 pm

DynastyWarriors6 wrote:I told you guys, especially you Wei, that the movie would suck in theaters and guess who called.

I don't think anyone ever actually doubted that estimation...
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub