Dragonball

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Dragonball

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:11 pm

Hm. Again, what about the anime industry? It's a foregone conclusion that anime as we know it would not exist without Disney cartoons, and some of the great film-noir and neo-sci-fi anime like Serial Experiments Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, Witch Hunter Robin and Akira would not be here but for the influence of Blade Runner. Anime like Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop and Lost Universe are laden with references to the live-action Star Trek franchise, right down to the names of some of the characters. A Battle of Wits would probably not have happened if not for Trigun (and the screenplay itself was based off a manga of the same name).

One Frenchman remarked upon first seeing a photograph taken that it would be the death of art, but as we know that is hardly the case. The fact of the matter is we have these two media now - animation and live-action film-making - which are evolving in ways we never could have thought possible in eras before largely because of the influence they've had on each other. I don't think we should necessarily be seeing this influence as harmful.

Yeah, we're going to end up with some crap like Dragonball and possibly Cowboy Bebop, but there is more potential in the relationship than just mass-market remakes.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby dymlos timbre » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:14 pm

well, i like to be open to new things, But hollywood has a nice way of screwing movies up (thats based off something else) i know twilight fans, fans of the book and when they saw the movie they hated it (couldnt tell you why my girlfreind and her freinds are among these people il ask them) But then again we also got good movies from the harry potter and lord of the rings (wether you liked them or not). But i think books are much easier to pull of than animation some might work and some wont.

take for instance death note, that one is easily pulled off, and theres a difference THEY STUCK TO THE ORIGINAL STORY, idk what the makers of dragonball are thinking but the death note live action film got the characters correct and there moods. Now idk about bebop but already i know for a fact keanu reeves cant do spike every movie he is in he sounds so deppresing and thats just not spike.

wei i know what your saying, i heard that when the creators of avatar were doing there stuff the head guy told everyone to watch cowboy bebop and learn how they used action sequences in that show.They wanted to mimick the way spike fought.

But hey Marvel and DC were able to make there comic's live action so maybe wel get a good one sometime.
dymlos timbre
Scholar

Unread postby Marc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:09 am

dymlos timbre wrote:But hollywood has a nice way of screwing movies up (thats based off something else) i know twilight fans, fans of the book and when they saw the movie they hated it

That's making a bad movie based on bad source material; not quite the same thing. :wink:
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:38 am

dymlos timbre wrote:But hollywood has a nice way of screwing movies up (thats based off something else) i know twilight fans, fans of the book and when they saw the movie they hated it (couldnt tell you why my girlfreind and her freinds are among these people il ask them)

Marc wrote:That's making a bad movie based on bad source material; not quite the same thing. :wink:

/me offers high five

Yeah, Twilight the movie was a lulz-a-thon, seriously - it was that bad (and I was told to shun the book if I valued my sanity). I went to see it with a couple of friends and we were laughing so hard we were afraid we were going to be asked to leave the theatre. Oh well; I like seeing bad movies - it's a masochistic pleasure best taken in small doses.

dymlos timbre wrote:take for instance death note, that one is easily pulled off, and theres a difference THEY STUCK TO THE ORIGINAL STORY, idk what the makers of dragonball are thinking but the death note live action film got the characters correct and there moods.

I know I said I wouldn't entertain DN discussion here, but I would like to say that having watched some of DN (the whole series was tl;dw) it would probably have made for a better live-action movie than an anime. The anime just struck me on the whole as pretentious wannabe-goth emo shite, not to mention they dragged everything out about five times as long as it needed to be, but if a movie cut out all of Light's insufferable speechifying and internal monologues and focussed instead on the cat-and-mouse action with L, it might actually be a decent movie.

dymlos timbre wrote:wei i know what your saying, i heard that when the creators of avatar were doing there stuff the head guy told everyone to watch cowboy bebop and learn how they used action sequences in that show.They wanted to mimick the way spike fought.

But hey Marvel and DC were able to make there comic's live action so maybe wel get a good one sometime.

Haven't seen Avatar - I'll put it on my list, though. Sounds interesting.

Half of me hopes so. That half of me is being warned by my other half not to get its hopes up, and just go for the lulz. But hey, not to sound like a Marvel fanboy, but I really enjoyed Iron Man and the Hulk reboot; I hope we get to see some anime-influenced films of that quality.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:47 pm

Some thoughts on the new Dragonball: Evolution clips.

Clip 1:

Okay, we've got Son Goku's need-to-rescue-people down; that's fine. But slow-mo for jumping over a fire? What's the point? Second, you can tell a person's not a shapeshifter by them bleeding? What is this, D S pharking 9? Ira Steven Behr should sue for copyright infringement.

Clip 2:

Alright, now I'm really mad. Son Goku fighting Kamesen'nin just don't go down like that. 'This is not happening!' should be 'This is fun!'. Kamesen'nin = crotchety old hermit, fine. Maybe even beats up trespassers, like he did with the Red Ribbon Army. That's cool. But then he starts channelling Morpheus for some reason - the 'come and get me' hand gesture, the 'you've been trained well' line, the part where he just effortlessly blocks every attack... sorry, KAMESEN'NIN =/= MORPHEUS! I realise you guys had 87Eleven on hand for the special effects, but there's a reason YOU DON'T LET THEM WRITE THE MOTHERPHARKING SCRIPT! And the last part, where Bulma comes in? That's the part where the real Kamesen'nin should be too busy checking her out to dodge Son Goku's qi blast.

Son Goku: 'Sorry!' Um, yeah, I think we deserve an apology for that.

Oh well. I went to see Corey Yuan's DOA: Dead or Alive; I'll still go to see this.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:34 pm

The first American DBE commercial is here, it seems.

What. The. Hell?

Are they trying to do Dragonball or a remake of The Karate Kid? Seriously, he's not channelling Son Goku - that's Daniel LaRusso up against the Cobra Kais with the 'I'm not looking for trouble'. And yeah, Chi-Chi is s'posed to be coming on strong to Son Goku (she did in the comics, even during the second volume when Kamesen'nin helps out Gyuu-Maoh), but he isn't supposed to be responding to it! Even when he proposes to her at the end of the series, it's more of an 'okay, I guess' kind of thing.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Mike » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:39 am

Liking the analogy to Karate Kid there WeiWenDi. It would not surprise me if Goku has to "wax on, wax off" hahaha.

After watching the trailer, I will definitely watch this movie for teh lulz. I was already set to go see it after I saw the cast list, but that clip further cements it for me.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby football11f » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:48 pm

I grew up watching Dragonball Z. Hell, I still watch the occassional clip on Youtube. I pray to God that this film doesn't suck. Given what I have seen in the trailers, it looks like it will suck.

I will withhold judgement until I see it, of course.
football11f
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:24 pm

I know I said I wouldn't entertain DN discussion here, but I would like to say that having watched some of DN (the whole series was tl;dw) it would probably have made for a better live-action movie than an anime. The anime just struck me on the whole as pretentious wannabe-goth emo shite, not to mention they dragged everything out about five times as long as it needed to be, but if a movie cut out all of Light's insufferable speechifying and internal monologues and focussed instead on the cat-and-mouse action with L, it might actually be a decent movie.

The two films achieved that. They paced it brilliantly and provided a resolution which is not an incentive for TV - which like to drag it as long as humanly possible.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby football11f » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:34 am

Ya, in DBZ they dragged stuff out a lot. I remember during the Frieza-Goku fight, Frieza said "this planet will blow up in five minutes." The planet did blow up... two weeks of 30 minute episodes later.

The Manga has a lot less of that crap.
football11f
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub