Dragonball

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Dragonball

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Antiochus wrote:OMYGOD I JUST SAW THE TRAILER AND I MUST GOUGE OUT MY EYES BECAUSE IT IS SO BAD!

Ouch...

There should be laws against this kind of things. Someone is raping my childhood culture...

Yeah. I think the best thing I can find to say about it at this point is, 'the theme song is an improvement'. But it is Ayu doing it...

At the risk of traumatising you further, have you seen the new Shen Long screencaps from the movie? They have this humongous, epic, all-powerful wish-granting Chinese dragon and that's the best they could come up with? Sorry, 20th Century Fox, you fail. But that's the most disappointing thing in the new material - the rest of it seriously just looks like a cheesy chop-sock, and there's nothing wrong with a good cheesy chop-sock.

Full new trailer here.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby dymlos timbre » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:14 pm

why is it that everytime i look at the character who is playing goku, i feel this overwhelming hatred towards him? he just seems like such a bad person to play goku.
dymlos timbre
Scholar

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:30 pm

dymlos timbre wrote:why is it that everytime i look at the character who is playing goku, i
feel this overwhelming hatred towards him? he just seems like such a
bad person to play goku.

:lol: Probably for the same reason every time I look at Keanu Reeves playing Don John in MAaN, I have this overwhelming urge to dunk his head repeatedly in one of Messina's many, many fountains until he starts displaying some emotion - it is an urge I will probably also experience watching him in Cowboy Bebop, except replacing 'fountain' with 'airlock'.

Oh well. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby dymlos timbre » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:15 pm

wait, bebop?? dont tell me.... are they going to ruin that too :cry:
dymlos timbre
Scholar

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:33 pm

Yup.

Keanu with an Afro. Eeeehhhh...
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby dymlos timbre » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:13 am

alright well.... consider two classic anime to be completely ruined by idiots.im sorry but you jsut cant replicate bebop in a live action film
dymlos timbre
Scholar

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:43 am

Well, there is actually reason to be cautiously optimistic about a live-action Bebop, since the production team includes Watanabe Shin'ichirou, Uchida Kenji and Nobumoto Keiko, and also Sunrise is going to be in on the ground floor of this project - as good a sign as we could hope for, really. (Let's just hope for good news about the directors there.) DBE is a whole different story, since Toriyama Akira never got too involved in it.

Also, why wouldn't you be able to do Bebop in live-action? I mean, it strikes me that Dragonball is far trickier to pin down with all of the visual-effects tweaking to get the auras, the qi blasts and the bukuujutsu right, but the anime Bebop tended to be more realistic even if stylised, kind of like V for Vendetta. Of course, for the space travel you'd have to use CGI and visual effects, but that's to be expected anyway.

But... Keanu Reeves?

Whoa.

And I don't mean that in a good way.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby dymlos timbre » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:08 pm

the whole way the camra angle worked and fighting scenes happened in bebop, i just personally think they cant replicate the magic behind the characters. Another thing i guess i have a tick about these actors playing them is, well.....spikes voice Actor worked perfectly and keanu reeves.......just doesnt seem to have spikes additude. Well im certain dragonball evolution will flop (by fans of the series bashing it hard) hopfully bebop will a little better but i doubt it much better.

Im one of those people who strongly beleives that anime should probably stay anime.

i think instead of trying to make money off anime hollywood directors should focus more on some great books that could be potential great movies. For example R.A. Salvatores the crystal shard book or menzoberranzan series.
dymlos timbre
Scholar

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:40 am

dymlos timbre wrote:the whole way the camra angle worked and fighting scenes happened in bebop, i just personally think they cant replicate the magic behind the characters. Another thing i guess i have a tick about these actors playing them is, well.....spikes voice Actor worked perfectly and keanu reeves.......just doesnt seem to have spikes additude. Well im certain dragonball evolution will flop (by fans of the series bashing it hard) hopfully bebop will a little better but i doubt it much better.

:lol:

That's why I said cautiously optimistic.

And I agree that Reeves doesn't have Spike's attitude.

Or any at all, for that matter...

dymlos timbre wrote:Im one of those people who strongly beleives that anime should probably stay anime.

Aww, but then we wouldn't have had the sheer awesomeness that was the Matrix!

Okay, that's kind of a glib answer. Put another way - I think anime and traditional live-action film-making have had a mutually-beneficial relationship of artistic give-and-take thus far, but as the relationship is still somewhat new (as in, less than 25 years old, functionally speaking - going back to, well, Blade Runner really) we have yet to see where it will take us.

dymlos timbre wrote:i think instead of trying to make money off anime hollywood directors should focus more on some great books that could be potential great movies. For example R.A. Salvatores the crystal shard book or menzoberranzan series.

Now there's an interesting idea. It will be interesting to see if a film-maker decides to pick up on that.

I haven't read any of R A Salvatore's work yet (I'll get around to it sometime; I'm still on Lois Bujold); but from what I've seen of the attempts to adapt the genre of neo-sci-fi and -fantasy to the big screen, it's been about the same level of hit-and-miss.

From what I hear, live-action Twilight was an improvement on the original book, though (also from what I hear) that wouldn't take much. Starship Troopers was an improvement too, but that was because Paul Verhoeven was deliberately mocking Heinlein by populating his universe with stupid people.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:37 am

dymlos timbre wrote:the whole way the camra angle worked and fighting scenes happened in bebop, i just personally think they cant replicate the magic behind the characters. Another thing i guess i have a tick about these actors playing them is, well.....spikes voice Actor worked perfectly and keanu reeves.......just doesnt seem to have spikes additude. Well im certain dragonball evolution will flop (by fans of the series bashing it hard) hopfully bebop will a little better but i doubt it much better.

Im one of those people who strongly beleives that anime should probably stay anime.

i think instead of trying to make money off anime hollywood directors should focus more on some great books that could be potential great movies. For example R.A. Salvatores the crystal shard book or menzoberranzan series.

Thank you finally someone else who says anime should stay anime and should movies stay movies. It's not a hard concept but Hollywood has got to make a quick buck some how.
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub