Dragonball

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Dragonball

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:26 am

WeiWenDi wrote:
dymlos timbre wrote:*sigh* my hopes are buried under mudd its like... they didnt even try to get gokus personality in there. they made him into some stupid punk teenager when the real goku is playful and funny. Guns??? yea i dont remember to many guns involved in dragon ball unless it was the red army (or whatever) and i dont see them anywere. oh well, at least now i get to laugh at halo's movie not comeing and fish around to find out if the metal gear movie is being made.

Dude, first manga of Dragon Ball when Son Goku wrecks Bulma's car, she draws a pistol and tries to shoot him in the face. Yamcha wasn't above using a rocket launcher to try and take out Son Goku when they met for the second time. Also, Lunch (or, at least, her psycho persona) is always carrying some kind of automatic weapon. The RRA weren't the only ones with guns in Dragon Ball, far from it.

I agree about the personality of Son Goku in the trailer, though. Son Goku was a teenager at one point (during the Piccolo saga I think he was about 14-15, as opposed to 11-12 in the beginning of Dragon Ball), but he was never that... unenergetic. He still managed to be playful and optimistic at times during the Piccolo saga.

The movie's plot looks like a mess, though. It's like they're trying to combine the original dragonball quest (the one where their only real enemies are Yamcha and Pilaf) with the Piccolo saga. Chi-Chi doesn't appear at all in the Piccolo saga, and only as a minor character who helps Son Goku along with Kamesen'nin during the original dragonball quest. I'm kind of morbidly curious about Yamcha's role in the movie, though - are they going to make him the girl-shy comic villain of the original dragonball quest or are they going to make him a tragic-hero who dies fighting Piccolo (or worse, are they going to try to do both?).

Man for a guy who says he's against the movie you sure doing a lot to defend it, maybe your hoping for it to do better than it's suppose to. If anime was meant to be a live action movie it would be made that way.
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby dymlos timbre » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:54 am

iv been looking around on pictures and stuff for the movie and something is missing, i havent seen any picture of nimbus anywere.....that flying cloud was a big part of dragon ball.
dymlos timbre
Scholar

Unread postby Marc » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:45 am

WeiWenDi wrote:I'm kind of morbidly curious about Yamcha's role in the movie, though - are they going to make him the girl-shy comic villain of the original dragonball quest or are they going to make him a tragic-hero who dies fighting Piccolo (or worse, are they going to try to do both?).

My guess is neither; instead he'll be a typical kung-foolery attempt at badass...
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:12 pm

DynastyWarriors6 wrote:Man for a guy who says he's against the movie you sure doing a lot to defend it, maybe your hoping for it to do better than it's suppose to. If anime was meant to be a live action movie it would be made that way.

Look, I happen to be a fan of the original Dragon Ball comic. I am not, however, philosophically opposed to the idea that it can be made into a halfway-decent live-action flick. I think the current movie is going to be bad, but though I think there are plenty of legit reasons to suppose that it's going to be bad, I'm not going to accuse it, as some fans are doing, of being something it isn't. And I supported dymlos timbre's reasons that I thought were sound - it looks like Chatwin and the writers really fubarred Son Goku, and the entire feel just looks off.

Also, I will be seeing it in theatres, if only to satisfy my morbid curiosity.

dymlos timbre wrote:iv been looking around on pictures and stuff for the movie and something is missing, i havent seen any picture of nimbus anywere.....that flying cloud was a big part of dragon ball.

I agree - the flying cloud was a big part of DB, particularly in the earlier part. I sure hope it hasn't gotten killed off.

Marc wrote:My guess is neither; instead he'll be a typical kung-foolery attempt at badass...

NOOOO!!!...

Though, to be honest, from the promo video that is about all we can expect, I guess.

EDIT:

Yamcha looks like an extra from Michael Jackson's Beat It music video, but at least Piccolo's got the right green hue and what looks like antennae, and Mai is the appropriate shade of hawtness.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:16 pm

Sean Schemmel, the only person who can do Goku EVER, saids the movie is probably going to be iffy and the fans had thumbs down during the convention because they actually have foresight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx4f3DjF ... re=related
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:26 am

Nope. If there is only one person who can do Son Goku ever, it is Nozawa Masako. Full stop.

That said, Schemmel had some interesting criticisms, and I think a lot of them are valid. If DB:Evolution goes too far toward 'realism' they are going to lose Dragon Ball's 'reality', and the end result will be much more off-putting. That said, I don't want DB:E to be a repeat of Speed Racer - I'd rather just have a clean, cheap chop-socky B film rather than something that leans entirely on special effects.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:29 am

WeiWenDi wrote:Nope. If there is only one person who can do Son Goku ever, it is Nozawa Masako. Full stop.

Oh yeah I want a voice actor to make a full grown man sound like hes sucked in helium and sounds like a little school girl.
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:22 am

DynastyWarriors6 wrote:Oh yeah I want a voice actor to make a full grown man sound like hes sucked in helium and sounds like a little school girl.

:lol: Fair enough. I'm not a fan of dubs in general, though, and DB is no exception.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:50 pm

The Action of Evolution

Hm. Fist-cams, martial-arts training and special diets? You have much to learn, young Padawan.

We already knew the FX were going to be the cutting edge of boot-in-arse, ever since 87Eleven signed onto the damn thing. The writing's more what I'm concerned about at this point in the game.

Also, thank God: No. More. Shuki. Levy.

At least the music has evolved, if nothing else! :lol:
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Antiochus » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:24 pm

OMYGOD I JUST SAW THE TRAILER AND I MUST GOUGE OUT MY EYES BECAUSE IT IS SO BAD!

Ouch...

There should be laws against this kind of things. Someone is raping my childhood culture...
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub