Dragonball

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Dragonball

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:33 pm

This thread is reserved for discussion of the upcoming live-action Dragonball movie produced by Zhou Xingchi and directed by James Wong. I've been excited about this movie for some time, since I was a fan of the original Dragon Ball (not so much DBZ - I kind of felt that Toriyama Akira had sold out) recently come across a promo video (third from the top on this page) that had me laughing out loud at how holistically bad it looked - like the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat movies combined with Corey Yuan's DOA. Of course, since I like holistically bad films and since I'm kind of a masochist about the concept, I'm going to pay to see the movie anyway!

Thoughts on the trailer? On the movie concept? On the casting?

(I heard a lot of people complaining about Justin Chatwin, a Westerner, playing Son Goku, but since Son Goku turns out to be an alien in Toriyama's original story I don't really see what the big problem is. I'm happy to see Emmy Rossum and Tamura Eriko kicking butt in the trailer.)
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Re: Dragonball

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:32 am

Anime series I feel should never be made into live action, we all saw how not well Speed Racer went. It's just a bad combo your use to certain voice and actors certain characteristics within anime characters then they try to bring that to live. How can you make they guy from Bulletproof Monk a perverted old geezer?
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:25 am

I don't know about that - I never saw Speed Racer (unfortunately), but V for Vendetta (made by the same people) was a live-action based on a graphic novel and it was wildly successful. The bad news is that the promo video looks nothing like a successful adaptation; the good news is that the movie may not resemble the promo video in the slightest (the actual trailer will be released on 12 December). On a related note, 87Eleven (the people who did the fighting scenes in V for Vendetta, Serenity, Fight Club and The Matrix) is doing the stunt-work and martial arts choreography, so the fighting might actually look half-decent and true to the anime.

DynastyWarriors6 wrote:How can you make they guy from Bulletproof Monk a perverted old geezer?

Zhou Runfa's a pretty talented actor - I think he could do it if he put his mind to it. My fear is that the character won't be written that way.

The one glimmer of hope that I have about Kamesen'nin is that in one of the promo photos they released, Kamesen'nin is wearing a t-shirt with a scantily-clad anime woman on it...
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:49 am

An entire story told in 90 minutes? Might be worth it, simply for that fact.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby dymlos timbre » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:17 pm

grew up with dragon ball (never got into z to much stoped after the saiyan saga and just whent on and off) this can be a fantastic movie depending how much time, money, and effort they put into it, also the timeing of the realese is important.
dymlos timbre
Scholar

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:18 pm

Obviously I have serious fears that this ends up terrible. But I hope it ends up being pretty sweet. I agree that this just isn't an anime that can be made to be a realistic live action movie, I use that word as in; realistic towards the storyline/manga.

Of course I'll see it as DB/Z is what got me into anime, and it'll always be in my shortlist of favorites all time. Wanna fight about it? :mrgreen:
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:49 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:I don't know about that - I never saw Speed Racer (unfortunately), but V for Vendetta (made by the same people) was a live-action based on a graphic novel and it was wildly successful. The bad news is that the promo video looks nothing like a successful adaptation; the good news is that the movie may not resemble the promo video in the slightest (the actual trailer will be released on 12 December). On a related note, 87Eleven (the people who did the fighting scenes in V for Vendetta, Serenity, Fight Club and The Matrix) is doing the stunt-work and martial arts choreography, so the fighting might actually look half-decent and true to the anime.

Graphic Novel is way different then Anime 300, V for Vendetta they had more of a message behind their movies. Dragonball is about Goku constantly wanting to be the best fighter in the universe and training non-stop to accomplish that. Speed Racer was just bad and I know if Dragonball flops then they may not do anymore movies based on anime, which I would be glad for. If it was meant to be live action then they would not have guys floating in air due to their Chi.
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:32 am

dymlos timbre wrote:grew up with dragon ball (never got into z to much stoped after the saiyan saga and just whent on and off) this can be a fantastic movie depending how much time, money, and effort they put into it, also the timeing of the realese is important.

Lexus Fiend wrote:Obviously I have serious fears that this ends up terrible. But I hope it ends up being pretty sweet. I agree that this just isn't an anime that can be made to be a realistic live action movie, I use that word as in; realistic towards the storyline/manga.

Of course I'll see it as DB/Z is what got me into anime, and it'll always be in my shortlist of favorites all time. Wanna fight about it?

Well, it's coming out on 8 April. From what I hear it had been slated for this month, but they pushed back the release because they wanted to re-shoot some scenes that they thought could use some improvement. (I don't mind this.) I think for a die-hard fan, nothing this movie does will be able to please them. I don't really expect much from this movie to begin with, so it won't be much of a letdown if it winds up as MST3K fodder. On the other hand, I may yet be pleasantly surprised.

And, dymlos, I seem to be of the same mindset as you: I followed all of Dragonball (religiously) and DBZ up through the Frieza saga, but then I sorta dropped out of the series when it seemed to get kind of repetitive.

DynastyWarriors6 wrote:Graphic Novel is way different then Anime

True. But Dragonball was a graphic novel before it became an anime - 16 volumes.

DynastyWarriors6 wrote:300, V for Vendetta they had more of a message behind their movies. Dragonball is about Goku constantly wanting to be the best fighter in the universe and training non-stop to accomplish that.

Ehh... but having a message is not necessarily a good thing. V for Vendetta had a pretty hamhanded political agenda (as a graphic novel, too), and 300 even more so, being ham-handed and blatantly neo-fascist. In V's case, it was a matter of some scenes being less enjoyable for a couple characters speechifying; in 300's, it was as though a gay men's choir in Speedos had been shot in front of a green screen shrieking dialogue written by Goebbels and edited by an anal-retentive colour-blind six-year-old with a copy of Adobe Photoshop and a blood fetish.

To be honest, even if Dragonball doesn't take itself seriously in the slightest, it would still be a refreshing change of pace.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:52 am

DynastyWarriors6 wrote:Graphic Novel is way different then Anime 300, V for Vendetta they had more of a message behind their movies. Dragonball is about Goku constantly wanting to be the best fighter in the universe and training non-stop to accomplish that. Speed Racer was just bad and I know if Dragonball flops then they may not do anymore movies based on anime, which I would be glad for. If it was meant to be live action then they would not have guys floating in air due to their Chi.

Um, which Dragonball did you watch?

Also, a live action Death Note would be awesome if done right and taken seriously.
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Marc » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:53 am

Lexus Fiend wrote:Also, a live action Death Note would be awesome if done right and taken seriously.

Behold!
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Next

Return to The Pub