Least favourite chore

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Least favourite chore

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:02 pm

I just discovered my least favourite chore (amazingly beating out laundry and dishes, both of which I hate with a passion)--scrubbing the oven.

I don't like having toxic fumes in my house, so I don't use conventional oven cleaners or the self-cleaning option on the oven (which eats up energy as well, since the point is to burn everything at such a high heat that everything turns into charcoal). A baking soda paste works pretty well (it cuts grease better if you smear it onto the greasy parts of the oven and let it sit overnight), but you still have to scrub. The angle just makes for a really sore back and really sore arms.

And I keep getting paranoid about someone pushing me into the oven from behind...

(*No I'm not a wicked witch! No I'm not a wicked witch!*)

What's your least favourite chore?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Re: Least favourite chore

Unread postby James » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:17 pm

And you've just discovered why I use my oven as a last resort! :lol:

But for me cleaning the oven is like moving--they both happen at about the same time, so I'm not quite sure I can call it a chore. And as I sit here, looking into the emptiness of this text field, I realize that I'm not quite sure what my least favorite chore is. It is probably something I avoid doing. Maybe I'll get a better idea as time passes now that I'm actually wondering. I do know one thing I really dislike doing, though: cleaning the inside of my car windows.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:37 pm

Cleaning the oven is pretty brutal, but like James said, it's not a very frequent occurrence so it doesn't have the same annoyingness impact that a lot of regular chores do. Make sure you unplug your oven before cleaning it! The angle is indeed annoying, and then there are all kinds of annoying obstacles you have to scrub around.

For me, it's probably cleaning the bathtub. Not that it's very difficult, but it's a similar angle thing, and it's always dirtier than it looks at first. The more you clean, the more dirt becomes evident.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby English_Druid » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:29 pm

I loath ironing. It's probably the most frequent and banal of chores. I hate it so much that I put it off until the very last minute (literally, I iron the clothes I intend to wear each morning). Not only is it blatantly obvious when your bad at it (as I am), or when you didn't quite let the iron warm up enough, but its made overly complicated by the legions of different materials, steam and heat levels for each clothing item!! Quickly, someone invent clothes that are immune to creases.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:30 pm

English_Druid wrote:I loath ironing. It's probably the most frequent and banal of chores.

I'm fortunate enough to be of such low class that I don't have to iron anything.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:02 pm

Kong Wen wrote:
English_Druid wrote:I loath ironing. It's probably the most frequent and banal of chores.

I'm fortunate enough to be of such low class that I don't have to iron anything.

Haha... I was about to respond with about the same thing.
When I do my laundry I depend on hanging it up straight out of the dryer. I don't even own an iron. :lol:
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sam » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm

Much like James and Kong Wen, ironing is a chore that simply does not exist for me. Not that I don't enjoy having warm, un-creased clothing as much as the next person, but I've found that it's a chore that can be fulfilled by either wearing or hanging up the clothing until the same effect is reached.

Washing up is a chore that I don't particularly dislike – even find therapeutic at times – but certain foods I've found can be arduous to effectively clean up. Porridge is a prime example, especially when accidently left to dry overnight. But of all chores, I’d say cleaning the kitchen floor is the one that I find most displeasing. Like Kong Wen mentioned with the bath tub, there always seem to be certain areas in corners where limitless amounts of dirt stem from, and the aftermath always leaves me feeling extremely unclean and irritable.
Otherwise known as Wang Ping (Zijun)
Sam
Sweeper of Invaders

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Well I would say hoovering, ironing and dusting but someone else takes care of that now.

So I will say cooking. It just feels like it takes so long and I can't bear that. I want to eat it now.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:26 pm

I didn't own an iron until my mother made me buy one. But I have yet to take it out of the box. I think one time I melted some tablecloth onto my dress-pants, and that was the first and last time I ironed.

There are crease-proof materials! Obviously, you can't get the nice pressed look with them, but they're definitely worth looking into.

Dishes--usually I hate it until I actually get started, then once I'm in the groove I'm ok. But oatmeal porridge and cheese are evil, as are casserole dishes with stuff burnt onto them.

I love vacuuming (hoovering for you Brits). I love the instant gratification of seeing dirt and crap disappear into the vacuum cleaner, with sound effects to boot. Sweeping is also fun because it involves geometry, and because you get the satisfaction of seeing the little piles of dirt you swept together. Mopping, though, is a whole nother beast--to this day I don't see the point of mopping (you're just diluting dirt with progressively dirty water), even though when floors get really sticky and gross I'd scrub them with a scrubber (much more effective than mopping!).
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:44 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Mopping, though, is a whole nother beast--to this day I don't see the point of mopping (you're just diluting dirt with progressively dirty water), even though when floors get really sticky and gross I'd scrub them with a scrubber (much more effective than mopping!).

Trust me, there are times when mopping is necessary and appropriate. I always do a rinse-mop afterwards, too, to get the messy water off the floor. Nice and clean!
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Next

Return to The Pub