Merlin

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Merlin

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:19 pm

I thought Merlin and Arthur grew as characters, but the other knights like Gwaine who was so important last season, really lost value. Agvarine was a great character but
his death was a bit sudden for someone who had been in the show for 13 episodes.

Lancelot was eye candy for the girls and thats it. He needed a better death scene though, as he was likeable for a while.
I really hated Gwen this season. Really hated her. That Princess Mithian was a likeable female, who seemed to get along with all the characters quite quickly. Pity that she left, as she was more likeable and attractive than Gwen.

Tristan was a bit... old? I mean for the strongest knight of the Round Table, or one of them, he looked like a washed up version of Sting and his story wasn't so creative. A re-hash of Gwaine.

Uther's death was done very well. I just hope Gaius bites the dust next.

They need to develop the knight's story before they start to add in others, though Galahad would be pretty awesome, unless they ruin him as well and make him a fifty year old who likes to kill, as opposed to the pure hearted boyish guy in the books.
Last edited by Shen Ai on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:47 am

Shen, might want to consider use of the spoiler button for some of that.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:37 pm

I've been watching Merlin since long ago, and to be honest, I feel they have lost something, something that at the start of the series made me stick to my screen and want to see every next episode as soon as I finished one.
If we consider certain aspects of the series: (from my point of view, so feel free to argue and contest!:))

Gaius: He is quite stereotyped as the one who always has the right books, ore right remedies or good advice. His character does not have a great depth, instead, I feel they put him there because they needed someone like him to build the story.

Gwen: Even worse. Classicism in the purest form, the noble man who falls in love with the maid. She does not have a particular past, neither any special ability besides of being always nice and good, and smiling; She does not have a particular role, as Morgana does. I feel she is only here to be in love with Arthur and to make up a bit of a love story in the series. The only one, by the way.

However, I still think there are many positive aspects to the series!

Morgana: specially as the series evolve, gets to play more interesting role and I think she may be the only character besides Merlin, who has a real depth. Her love for the wrong people, he beliefs, and her passion bring her to a state where she does not know where to go and becomes the great controversial character we know.

A little question: I remember Morgana having discovered Merlin's gift in the first series, I can't remember which episode, but it was the one where a demon is called upon in the undergrounds of the castle by Nimueh. However, she seems to forget it as the seasons go by...!
English is not my mother tongue. I hope the comprehension isn't too hard.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:20 pm

I can see what you mean but I would disagree to an extent. I felt the series has a whole has got better as acting has improved, scripts been more consistent and so on. I think there are things they could have done better with some idea's completely wasted, there was a lack of strong villains, too few one off episodes and I certainly felt series 3 lacked a classic episode. None the less, I still prefer the new to the old as a whole.

I can see your point with Gaius, I like him but he is generally the plot device known as the old adviser who will either point to the right direction/get foolishly ignored.

Gwen: Again I can see what you mean. I think she is a decent, likeable character but she has generally been the 4th wheel behind Merlin, Arthur and Morganna. Also wouldn't mind another long term romance in there, so far any non-Gwen related (and flirting between Arthur and Morganna in series 1) has been one shots. Some very good one/two episode romances but still short term.

Morgana: I do think she needs a victory because constant defeats do not make a scary villain or a sense of power. She and her sister are two of my fav long term characters in the show and I have enjoyed watching what they have done with the young sorceress. Don't know the answer to your question I'm afraid
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:21 pm

indeed, the acting and storyline have been a lot improved and from scarce bases I think they really went to some depth with some characters.
I was thinking of Morgana's constant defeats too. It makes her pitiful opponent who Merlin does not have too much trouble dealing with, and who pretty much stumbles in her own tricks. But she's al the same got an interesting personality which made her my favorite character too! But as you said, series after series the villain always die too soon before having the opportunity of dealing a serious blow to the Good forces, which almost always come out unharmed of the episodes, whereas the villains all die.

Have you tried "Game Of Thrones"?

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:48 pm

Morgana is also my favorite, partly age old bias (I'm always predisposed to like Merlin or Morganna) and becuase she has the most eye catching and intresting personality of the main cast. Loved her relationship with her sister. I'm hoping she will get a romance (with Merlin ideally :wink: ) next series.

On the villain thing, it is an old problem for family shows, they can't go too dark and all, and Merlin's series villains have recently had enough personality to carry themselves (Morgana, her sister and
latest series spoilers
her uncle
) to be fair. Still I do think the series is not the best at ensuring the villains sometimes win the day or deliver such damage in defeat that it is memorable and ensures the villains carry a threat. Morgana needs some victories in episodes and not of the "series finale, she takes Camelot and loses it" standby

Yep, seen the two series but not read the books. Love the show, probably the best show currently out.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Ayame » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:37 am

I've only seen into the beginning of season four. So far, Gawaine is my favourite character
Ayame
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:41 am

Ayame wrote:I've only seen into the beginning of season four. So far, Gawaine is my favourite character

I'm just grateful I remembered to put the spoiler thing in place last night.

Surprising choice, never really stood out for me. Saw Eoin Macken, who plays Gawaine, in Romeo and Juliet and he certainly has the acting ability to have more of a role with Gawaine.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Ayame » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:51 am

Read the spoilers anyway, can't be helped. I often like the minor characters.
Ayame
Academic

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:46 pm

What about "Lengend Of the Seeker"?

Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub