Merlin

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Merlin

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:45 am

Missed it on Saturday, planning on using iPlayer sometime today!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:40 am

It's next Saturday, not last one Sun Fin. My fault for the confusion
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Ah, my mistake, will have to use iPlayer anyway cos I'll miss it next weekend!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Series 3 was quite good, acting and writing seemed better, banter still a little iffy but humour was good and there were some fun episodes. Helped fill in backstories, met some new people, good cast of villains, some enjoyable adventures, it's not a classic series but it is what I hoped to get, a fun 45 minutes with adventure, magic, romance and so on. Dipped in 3 of the last four episodes, acting seemed to revert to the flatness of old but then it had a good finale which included some nice nods to the past and a good setup for series 4.

series stuff
Morganna as evil was slightly mishandled I thought, the way she managed to be spotted so quickly by all the important characters apart from her family was ridiculous and felt her personality was a little at odds with her past portrayal. Oh and the evil smirk every five seconds :wink: None the less, she made a good villain and story was well built around her, thought she and Morgause made a good team for the most part. I enjoyed their relationship, also that between Morgause and the King, great pity they killed him.

Gwain could be a bit annoying but I liked him overall, was nice to see Uther being shown as capable at times and Gauis getting some affection. Arthur/Merlin still a little his and miss but nice to see ArtherxGwen getting more time in second half, like the slightly darker edge to the series. Best episode was probably episode 6: "The Changeling". Oh and Merlin still not being discovered as a magic user? Getting sillier and sillier
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:59 pm

*shudders at the memory of Merlin's Apprentice*

For those in England, there is a new drama about the Arthurian legend called Camelot. Starts this Saturday on channel 4 at 9pm with a double episode. From the trailers, 1) looks like it is going to be quite... risqué and 2) roughly following the old tales so could be quite fun.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:47 am

Camelot was alright, only mildly disappointed it was cancelled and would rather have Human Target back then this. A promising start which suggested it would be fun but not brilliant, around the Excalibur episode it seemed to go bad and flat, revived near the end and an erratic ending episode. Some enjoyable characters (Merlin, Igraine, nun, Morganna), kinda of liked Guinevere but Arthur was bland, had a stupid pony tail that didn't suit him, was either whiny, trying to get laid in a mopey fashion or making moralistic speeches. I was rooting for King Lot to come and take the throne, far more entertaining. Some decent storyline idea's though not all were quite delivered well, show seemed a tad obsessed with getting Eva Green naked.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:41 pm

On Saturday after the final episode of Doctor Who, Merlin starts again.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Adam » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:On Saturday after the final episode of Doctor Who, Merlin starts again.

Sweet, I remember reading somewhere it wasn't supposed to be out 'til 2012 so this is fantastic.
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:29 pm

Series 4 has finished over here. It feels like the acting and banter has continued to improve, the series is consistently enjoyable with few weak episodes this time and that there is more confidence to try things. Maybe it is they feel the viewer's age has gone up or perhaps more confident in the cast but they seem braver/more ruthless, also seem to have more of a dark edge now. Banter still there and generally better, though the last episode was full of the old corny lines, big moments can be hit or miss but they got the really big one in episode 3 spot on
the big moment. Major spoiler
Uther's death and the reaction of all involved. No massive NOOOOOOOOOOO, just horror and grief. Very well done
. That was an excellent scene, one I'm not sure the cast involved could have pulled off earlier. Also managed to build a nice rhythm as it build up towards the series end.

Not everything was positive. In exchange for the consistency, the series lacks a classic episode though episode 3 is very good at times. There is no epic adventure or great comedic episode like the trollxUther episode which is a pity but I would argue a good exchange. There are perhaps too few one-off episodes, nearly every episode is pushing the story or characters on further. Leaving aside the series 4 mainstay villains, there isn't an impressive or really enjoyable one outside episode 8 and 10
who.Episodes spoilers
Lamia (Charlene McKenna), how innocent and vulnerable she appeared and how easily she manipulated the knights. Plus the green eyes. Nicholas Croucher as the dead druid boy, his soaking wet and haunting appearance sent shivers.
, all the rest are bland or not particularly scary/imposing. Some idea's seemed to be finished rather too early or wasted, the last moments of the last episode were underwhelming
the finale thing
Seriously, Arthur marries Gwen so quickly? It felt so rushed and rather flat for what should have been an epic moment.

Thought Arthur really developed as a character throughout the series, Merlin did so late on into the series and this left with both feeling very different men from the earlier series. Disliked the joke character Gwen seemed to be early on, they got out of that but wish he and some of the other knights had more opportunities to stand out. Agravaine (Nathaniel Parker) was a good addition to the cast, found him likeable and good use for the story. Morgana as a sole villain had 2 major problems, 1) Katie McGrath can do many things but out-right threaten does not seem to be one of them, 2) by the umpteenth failure of the main villain, they do lose a little threat. However I loved Morgana's new look and there is much McGrath did right, particularly when teasing her opponents, so it was fun.

series storylines/spoilers
-The death of Uther was masterfully done and the writers seem to have carefully thought through the after effects over the long term, particularly for Arthur.

-The death of Lancelot probably doesn't rule out much, while opening another storyline, but wish he had got a better send off. Despite the show having two shots at it.

-The ghosts in an early episode were scary. They should try to build that kind of atmosphere more.

-Real pity they only used Princess Mithian (Janet Montgomery) for one episode. She seemed a nice character and the idea of Arthur and Merlin's torn feelings over Gwen and Mithian would have been fun to explore over more episodes. Given so much was going on in that one episode meant the Princess had limited time, felt that she got too little time given the possibilities.

-Would have like to have seen the tension between Agravaine and Helios (Terence Maynard) as advisers and potential lovers of Morgana to have got more then a few scenes. Throwing in Helios so late and killing them both, though Agravaine's death was well done, in the final episode means that won't happen.

- The use of Tristan (Ben Daniels) and Isolde (Miranda Raison). Isolde showed some likeable spunk early on then gets pushed to the sidelines. Tristan's dialogue seemed to be messagey half the time, mostly about how he wasn't serving no spoilt King and then getting converted in the end. Daniels delivery seemed very flat during those scenes which didn't help. Yet there were occasions, when the script pretended Tristan was meant to be human and not a message bot, that the couple clicked, when they were able to tease each other or seem sweet. I particularly liked the flower scene. The death scene was very good, real pity they killed one of them off. Particularly the intresting one!

-Hope they don't use "Camelot falls but Arthur retakes it" as a finale any time soon.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Adam » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
the finale thing
Seriously, Arthur marries Gwen so quickly? It felt so rushed and rather flat for what should have been an epic moment.

barely one but meh
Yeah, instead of an epic moment it felt almost like an afterthought..."Oh, and this happens."
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub