Merlin

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Merlin

Unread postby tofu » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:24 pm

It's just started airing here in Australia. :P I like it, but I find it a little predictable though.

But isn't Morganna meant to be bad? I still don't really get who she is in the series-what's the king's ward meant to be?
"His head looks as though it was stuck on a pole for sale," said Guan Yu, just glancing over the army at his feet.

"O green-eyed boy! O purple-bearded rat! Do you know me?"
tofu
Scholar

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:00 pm

From theasuras: ward - a person who is under the protection or in the custody of another. From me: In medieval times, it could be used for either dead parents so child was given to another family or handed over for educational/political purposes

There was a time when Morganna's tale was one simply of unhappy marriage, sleeps around, gets chucked out by Queen, studies under Merlin, seeks to expose Queen. The makers can be rather flexible with her as to how exactly she develops though somehow I bet it doesn't involve adultery
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:57 am

Second series starts on Saturday, looking forward to it
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:53 am

So am I! Season One just wrapped over here a couple of weeks ago. Got a bit dark near the end esp. the death of Gwen's dad, which may explain why it trailed off a bit in the ratings. Haven't heard whether NBC intends to pick up Season Two yet, but I hope so.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:54 am

Read wiki summary of episodes in series 1 to refresh my memory, the series looks so bad on paper but hey, it works. Watched the online extended trailer for series 2, looks like some good idea's in there but of course, that is only potential and just hope they carry it off.

For a series that contained a lot of death, it did seem to be considered a family/children's show so when it got darker, may have alienated some of the younger audience
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:59 pm

I get worried by previews nowadays, felt Times could have done better by changing one word but that was ok. Merlin's preview at end of episode 1 shows a lot of interesting plot idea's. Be careful on reading this, consider it like a lengthy American trailer that may reveal too much, I don't know
what they show
Uther marries troll, witch-hunter appointed, Gauis arrested, some guy pointing at Merlin, Lancelot returns, Arther and Gwen kiss, Merlin kisses someone (seemed like Morgana. Hope they build up to that one if I'm correct rather then suddenly), Arthur jousts, a child that seems rather like Mordred briefly appears, Gwen catches Merlin holding dress, Arthur and Merlin discuss something(possibly Gwen) something that Prince says can not be but Merlin says Arthur can change.
I hope these are far from the only ones and that they are carried out well, be ridiculous if they revealed everything in a preview

The episode pretty much summed up last series for me, excellent visuals, good storyline, generally good acting
apart from
They are still useless at nooooooo bits
, you either like it or you hate it. Enjoyable, can do better but at least they started on the right note to build on.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:01 am

Second series finished last week and there will be a 3rd series. The youngsters acting has improved with the possible exception of Merlin, who struggles at times, but beware, the camera loves Arther's chest. The series is what it was last time, a decent family show that at times reaches very good, though attempts at banter have improved a lot, it seems less awkward and is usually quite funny this time round. The romances were better as well this time, guess it is part of the joys/troubles of such a cast is that they are still learning.

The double episode Beauty and the Beast was brilliant, thanks mostly to the acting of Anthony Head, Sarah Parish and Adam Godley, taking a good idea and simply enjoying themselves. Some other very good episodes, some just decent. To an extent, this series does seem to have been setting up for the third one particularly near the end, not a complaint just an observation. The Arther and Merlin getting a lot of attention, Gwen was still third party though getting a lot of screen time and Morgana being the 4th party, only really getting screen time when the episode revolved around her was still a problem. Gwen did though seem to get a lot more screen time this round and to good effect generally

Some people found Arther at the start too close to the earlier Arther, the bully/jerk rather then the good guy at end of first series, as if the character development never happened. At times seemed a tad harsh, other times very true though after first few episodes, was back to himself which was good. Works well with a lot of characters, Uther, Merlin, Gwen and couple of special characters, just wish less time was spent by camera of looking at his chest. The Gwen/Arther romance has been developing very well, some people found it rushed early on but I enjoyed it, thought they interacted well. I look forward to how that goes in the third series though LancelotxGwen was done no harm by the enjoyable acting in their one episode. One thing would have done was the "I hate magic and magic users moment" was fine but in the episodes after that, it rarely gets mentioned.

When Colin Morgan (Merlin) is asked to do dramatic or mourning, he seemed to struggle. With the exception of the end episode jokes with Gauis, he does conversations and a lot of stuff quite well, but those are area's he will need to work on.

Going to miss the Dragon as a regular and wonder who will act as the adviser now, hope to see him return one day. I like Morgana, Katie MgGrath is arguably the best actress of the 4, but was she was severely underused in both series, perhaps as a villain they can give her more screen time. Might make my wish for a MorganaxMerlin romance a tad tricky :wink:

The prevent Arther from seeing Merlin cast magic is starting to get into Deus Ex Machina land now, they need to think carefully on what they are going to do about it.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:15 pm

I loved the first series but missed most of series 2 due to general busyness. Got the first six episodes of DVD now though so will soon catch up! Looks like my guess at the end of the last series turned out to be correct judging by the one episode I did watch (with the Dragon Lord :wink: ).
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:20 am

I've been watching Series 1 reruns on the local French-Canadian channels

"En cet épisode, le maître des druides se fait arrêter et demande secours à Merlin par télépathie."
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:57 pm

It returns this Saturday at 7:25 on bbc1.

With the World cup, the excellent Sherlock and Doctor Who finished, had been expecting this for a few weeks, should fill a weekend slot and probably be fairly close to Christmas by the time it finishes. Obviously I enjoy the series and will be intresting to see how the younger actors have developed since series 2, My hopes for improvement: The writers won't pick up an intresting idea for one episode then drop it as if it never happened, they manage to avoid the Deus Ex Machina area with Merlin/Arthur, more Lancelot and Morgana moves out of 4th wheel, they find a way to make her part of most episodes like they have with Gwen

First episode preview thoughts
Morgana is found in woods and taken home. Morgana doesn't suddenly become best of friends with Uther... returning Morgana this early does surprise me, imagine she will get a big part in the opening episodes and then either keep her as a major long plot line of the series or she fades into 4th wheel again.

trailers for season+speculation
No large trailer, just two 30 or so second ones. Last time, they showed enough to tease but didn't reveal too much and gave no real hint to the big end. This time they show: Morgana is found in woods by Arthur, Gaius warns Arthur and co that there is a traitor in Camelot, Morgana in chain-mail warning someone s/he should leave while they still can. A green gremlin thingy going boo, dragon talking of "she is darkness to your light", Merlin warning Arthur in a hall that he won't always be around to protect him with Arthur going "God help me", Arthur fighting a Skeleton, Morgause (sister of Morgana) returns, dragon warning of a big battle for Camelot.

My guess is the battle will happen half way through and second half of series will be about something other then said battle, dragon or Morgana.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub