Merlin

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Merlin

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:40 pm

Despite initial reservations, like Merlin being a boy same time as Arthur I'm loving the series and I think Katie McGrath makes a great heroine but I think she'd be better as Guinevere as the current one isn't how I imagine here at all! However the line, 'So if you had to choose Lancelot or Arthur who would you pick?' Had me chuckling with irony. I'm enjoying it more then Robin Hood but I felt that went rapidly down hill at the end of series one!

While the last episode was very good, I hated the ending a lot. Merlin's noooooo was not needed, the final boss battle lasted about three seconds, a bit of a squib considering the set up. Was killing Nimueh the best of idea's? She was a good choice for villain, magical and had been able to seduce Merlin, which the series touched once, not too sure who they have planned for series 2 but think she will be hard to replace. Or else going for a complex reason why she is alive which is more likely then her vanishing. The sudden change of relations between Merlin, who should probably have been more grateful overall, and the Dragon was a surprise and one they perhaps could have built up over more time, I suspect they will have to work together again but the sudden change was frustrating.

I liked the last episode and does anyone else think Morgana will be pulled towards the Great Dragon and which is when she becomes bad? Or just me? I think she'll come back as the lady of the lake after something to do with Avalon (remember earlier on in the series). I was expecting Uthers death to mark the end of the series though!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:24 am

Morganna meeting the Dragon? She could hear his cries of pain so possible and she seems to be teetering on the brink at times.

Kong Wen, that film you mentioned on Merlin was excellent. Came on tv, split in two and I loved it, probably one of the best films I have actually seen. Had to get used to Nimway's accent but the thing was well written, made me laugh, cry and all the things inbetween while the characters were excellent, each believable and each making an impact however small their time was. My favorite character had to be Frik, very likable and entertaining creature but I liked them all.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:24 pm

Anything with Miranda Richardson is worth watching.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm

I picked that film of Merlin up for a £1 from Woolworths but haven't had time to watch it yet!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:26 am

It's going to air on NBC this Sunday at 8pm. Finally! I've been looking forward to it since I first read Dong Zhou's review.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:14 pm

Its well worth watching Tiger! I finally watched that film a few days and despite a wierd beggining I really got into it and was suprised to how close it was (for a film) to the original Merlin legend!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bryan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:43 pm

I wash my hands of this. From what I've seen so far (of the NBC previews), it looks like a script was thrown together from a piece of fanfiction. Color me not amused.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shritzu » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:44 am

For a Film it is very accurate to the true merlin legend.......
Bleh
Shritzu
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:12 pm

If you ever want to hear angels sing, ask me about Being Human. If you ever want to hear me rant, Robin Hood

Tigger of Kai wrote:It's going to air on NBC this Sunday at 8pm. Finally! I've been looking forward to it since I first read Dong Zhou's review.

Give it more then one episode before hunting me down and killing me when you hate it please :wink: Or kill Sun Fin. Gets better as the series goes on so stick with it for awhile unless you hate it

I don't think I ever mentioned the acting, which is a pity, they managed a mixture of experience and youth which blended nicely, on the whole it was well acted and helped make it enjoyable. Been so easy for writers and actors to have allowed one or two to fall into noticeable stereotype but they managed to avoid that.

Bryan wrote:I wash my hands of this. From what I've seen so far (of the NBC previews), it looks like a script was thrown together from a piece of fanfiction. Color me not amused.

The basic premise, they are all teenagers at Camelot is remarkably fan fictional I agree. Given this was a team who made Hex and something the bbc had wanted to do for a long time, it was even more surprising they went that route but it suits their target audience. Merlin is a bbc family show, aimed more towards the kids then the adults though that shouldn't be held against it
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:27 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Give it more then one episode before hunting me down and killing me when you hate it please :wink: Or kill Sun Fin. Gets better as the series goes on so stick with it for awhile unless you hate it

Like the Terminator, "I promise not to kill anybody". So I'll just shoot you both in the legs a few times.

Only joking! I thought the characters worked well in the light-adventure setting. They're all very likeable, and Katie McGrath certainly can fill out a chemise. I'm more used to watching HBO or Showtime productions, with their historical verisimilitude and super-high production values. But, on the other hand, the fact that these characters aren't constantly mounting each other like rabbits in a warren is a nice change.

The golf tournament ran late and NBC couldn't start it right at 8:00, so that might hurt the U.S. ratings a bit.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub