What's your favorite dinner?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

What's your favorite dinner?

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:07 pm

So..

What's your absolute favorite dinner?

I generally choose a fantastic traditional roast- beef or chicken with roast potatoes, red wine gravy, Yorkshire puddings and some nice veg on the side.

I can usually get through 10 roast potatoes and 10 Yorkshire puddings, and though I'm not proud of it, I'm PROUD of it! :lol: :lol:

I have some other favorites that are not English, but this is my favorite English food that I lurve, but I'd like to hear what others like first, then I can go on about other things.

:D
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Re: What's your favorite dinner?

Unread postby Spike » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:26 pm

Shi Tong wrote:I can usually get through 10 roast potatoes and 10 Yorkshire puddings, and though I'm not proud of it, I'm PROUD of it! :lol: :lol:

Same here, I love roast-dinner style stuff! :D

Sadly, my dad only ever makes about 2 Yorkshire puddings for me when he makes a roast dinner ( :o )...wait until I get my own house, there'll be no stopping me then. :twisted: I love gravy on top of it all as well...yummy.
Spike
Sage

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:36 pm

My all time fave is turkey dinner with the complete works. My family has a good on at Christmas and at Thanksgiving, and since I like it so much, I also sometimes get it at special occasions, like on my birthday, or when I return home at a time when my parents miss me. :)

Turkey (usually white, but dark meat is yummo too).
Cranberry sauce.
Mashed potatoes.
Gravy.
Stuffing.
Pickles.
Dinner roll.
Skim milk (thread cross-over points!).
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Shi Tong » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:53 am

Cool- looks like my choice is pretty must the winner at the moment then! :lol:

What sauces do you like too?

I mean- Turkey, and pretty much any roast has to go with some good sauces, and I personally think that the traditional ones go well with those meats, so it's got to be Cranberry with Turkey, mint with Lamb and (though I'm not a mustard fan really, I understand that you need it with Beef, so) (I like wholegrain) mustard with Beef. You can also have mustard with sausages!

I'm surprised about the choice of mashed potatoes though Kongy, I thought you'd go fer roast ones. Roast potatoes which are roasted in goose fat are absolutely the best thing in the world! :lol:

Gravy has to be lashed over this too.

Gravy, how do you like it? Do you like wine flavour gravies, home made ones, or things like Bisto? I mean- personally I make a red onion/ red wine, herbs and spices gravy at home and I think it beats the back end off anything you can crumble into water (like Bisto or Oxo), but some people just like Bisto and Oxo, so all power to them! :lol:
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:42 pm

With turkey, it's got to be home-made turkey gravy! Nice and thick. Roast potatoes are delicious, too, but I have them more often with beef meals. My family has always had mashed with turkey dinners, so that's what I'll always lrrve.
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:57 am

Geez, such a broad topic Shi Tong! I had to think for a bit but I'll just list my absolute favorite especially for the winter time.

Chicken and seafood gumbo with traditional cajun sausage. Not to mention all of the traditional spices you put in the gumbo with the homemade roux. True Louisiana Gumbo isn't something you buy in a can or make in a package, homemade is like nothing else. All of you northerners, Canadians, Brits, Aussies, etc... and all other non-Louisianians have to experience true homemade Gumbo before you die with homemade roux, not the type that is bought PREpared. I promise you won't regret it (well, actually I can't make that promise for everyone because the kind of gumbo I like may just be too spicy for some). Matter of fact my mom and my brother made some yesterday from scratch, I was bragging to Ezekiel about it on IM last night just to get him jealous because he yearns for real Louisiana homecooked meals ;)

A close second as far as my favorite things for dinner would be a tie between a fried chicken dinner and a huge medium rare steak meal.
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Skode » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:00 am

A plate of freshly baked warm scones - 14 of them to be precise. Or 4 burger rolls with 2 burgers per roll :D

And before anyone says out im only 10 stone :lol:
Skode
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:06 am

Lex, that sounds delicious! If I'm ever near Louisiana, you'd better make me some! ;)
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:43 am

Kong Wen wrote:Lex, that sounds delicious! If I'm ever near Louisiana, you'd better make me some! ;)

You got it!

There's been so many people that have told me something similar in all of my years posting to forums and newsgroups. Especially a lot of my English friends that want so bad to give it a try but can't find anything remotely resembling it over there.

Hell I'll throw a big SOSZ Cajun food party with a ton of properly Cajun-spiced boiled crawfish, a huge pot of jambalaya, and some fire Gumbo! As long as I can get LTP and Kristina to help out with the cooking :lol:
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:44 am

I would love to try and make some myself, but I know I wouldn't be able to do it justice. :(
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Next

Return to The Pub