What's your favorite dinner?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:47 am

Kong Wen wrote:I would love to try and make some myself, but I know I wouldn't be able to do it justice. :(

Well, I was born and raised pretty much with a bowl of gumbo in my lap so it just came natural to me after years of watching family members cook it for various get-togethers and for regular dinners. You could learn an be the best damn Cajun-chef in all of Nova Scotia! That is where the Cajun name originates from, Acadiana after all ;)
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shi Tong » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:52 am

Wow.. a whole new world of Cajun food.

You wont believe this, but I think I've only tried Cajun chicken once! :shock: And I've been to the Southern States a few times too (North Carolina, Alabama), so it's surprising I've never come across Gumbo before.

It sounds lurvely- I really like spicy food but, as Lex suggested, I'm not partial to having food which will kill me, so, one or two chillies less.

I remember in Taiwan I'd ask for food to be "less spicy" sometimes, and, being polite, they put no spice in my Beef noodle soup and I was really disappointed because it tasted nowhere as good without the spice! :?

Turkey gravy? How do you make that Kongy?

Scones are also really brilliant with a lovely warm cup of tea on a day out in the British winter, so that's a great suggestion- you gotta have lots of jam and cream and butter with it though. :wink:

Burgers?

Not so much for me- I love them, but they're nowhere near my favorite! :lol:

Oh, and Lex, sorry for the topic making you think too much about too many food types, sometimes I struggle because I get in the mood for something else and then I find my favorites change all the time! :lol: :lol:
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:52 am

Hailing from Singapore, I'm blessed with a wide variety of choices.

For a simple dinner, I always like to have a Chinese dinner that has any of the following combinations:

1) Stir-fried vegetables with garlic, preferably baby Kai Lan (Chinese kale), without any fanciful flavorings.

2) Nicely marinated soy sauce chicken.

3) Winter melon, spare ribs soup.

4) Steamed fish with black fungus and enokitake

5) Dried-fried green beans (si ji dou)

6) Bean curd with egg and minced pork

7) Roast duck with angelica sinensis

Once in awhile, I'd go for Japanese and Italian dinners too.
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Dennis » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:33 am

宫保鸡丁 Gong Bao Ji Ding, for Chinese food is my all-time fav. However, I mean the REAL stuff, not the stuff you get in most restaurants. Since turning vegetarian I use tofu instead of chicken.

I also love Taboulleh! My favourite vegetarian food. :)
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:59 am

Dennis wrote:宫保鸡丁 Gong Bao Ji Ding, for Chinese food is my all-time fav. However, I mean the REAL stuff, not the stuff you get in most restaurants. Since turning vegetarian I use tofu instead of chicken.

I also love Taboulleh! My favourite vegetarian food. :)

I've tried some of the "Gong Bao Ji Ding" in the States...I didn't like it. Not sure about Canada. If you have the chance, come to Singapore or Malaysia. hahaha.. :lol:
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:32 am

I've not tried Gong Bao Ji Ding before, which is a shame, the only thing I can think of which has gong in the name and is a food is gong wan (specifically gong wan tang), which is a type of wan zi (meat ball), in a soup :lol:

Speaking of favorite Chinese foods (specifically real ones in Taiwan), my favorites are as follows:

fried dumplings. (breakfast)

Dan Bing (a type of omelet with a kind of tortia style bread in it with sping onions and soy sauce, lovely) (breakfast)

Lu Rou Fan (meat cooked in soy sauce and rice wine among other herbs for a long time with rice and usually served with a Lu Dan, (an egg) cooked in the same style) (DINNER)

Dou Jiang with Yo Tiao (soy bean milk with "oily stick") (breakfast)

Dao Shao Niu Rou Mien (spicy beef noodle soup with specially knife cut noodles, served with pak choi (I like it with pak choi anyway)) (DINNER)

Ma Jiang Mien (sesame sauce noodles, you can easily make this at home, get some Tahini (sesame sauce, looks a bit like peanut butter), mix with soy sauce, about two tablespoons with two tablespoons of tahini and chuck a load of noodles on top, mix and savour! It's SO lovely!!) (DINNER!)

I like loads of veggie dishes in Taiwan, I particularly like Kong Shin Cai (hollow vegetable), a type of greens, cooked with garlic and maybe some chili, it's got to be piping hot and ate as such too. I also like Bai Cai (Chinese leaves), Pak Choi (I can never seem to remember the correct mandarin pronunciation for this) and the very difficult to find "Long Xu Cai" (dragon's whiskers vegetable).

Lovely stuff!
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kittn » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:43 am

Jamaican rice and black peas!!! Om nom nom nom...

When my mother-in-law cooks it, it's a dinner by itself. I always eat too much! When I check the rice cooker and see it in there, I might as well take the whole appliance off to the table with me, I loves it so. If we ever get off this truck, I vow to learn how to make it like she does. Oh it's so good! I want some now! :cry:
Kittn
Changshi

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:51 am

Wow sounds brilliant! Is it what we all know as "ricenpeas" over here (in the UK) that most Jamaicans talk about? I've not had it, but seeing as there are so many people who love it I aught to try to find some to GORGE myself on. :lol:
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:51 am

I generally choose a fantastic traditional roast- beef or chicken with roast potatoes, red wine gravy, Yorkshire puddings and some nice veg on the side.

Replace chicken with lamb and mash for roast potatoes and you have mine. Some nice wine to go with it as well
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:35 pm

Roast lamb. *drool*

What sauces do you have with it Dong Zhou? Are you a gravy man, a bisto man or a WINE gravy man? Also, would you have mint sauce with it? :D
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub