Breakfast of the Scholars?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Breakfast of the Scholars?

Unread postby Jake » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:33 am

I can't understand the people who eat something salty early in the morning. My usual breakfast is porridge with some berry jam and water or juice to drink. Sometimes that changes to few pieces of bread and juice or cocoa (I think you say it like that), and I usually like few boiled eggs when I have the chance.
Puhkon silmäni, että näkisin
En tahdo nähdä, mutta näen sen väkisin
Runtelen korvani, jotta kuulisin
En ymmärrä, mutta kuulen sen väkisin
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:16 am

Jake wrote:I can't understand the people who eat something salty early in the morning. My usual breakfast is porridge with some berry jam and water or juice to drink. Sometimes that changes to few pieces of bread and juice or cocoa (I think you say it like that), and I usually like few boiled eggs when I have the chance.

Heh, in Chinese tradition breakfast is always something salty, usually some kind of savoury bread, fried dough, or light dishes served with rice porridge.

What I don't get is the Norwegian tradition of pancakes for dinner. To me pancakes are breakfast food (though personally I eat such random meals that I often have breakfast food for dinner).
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Hyper90 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:29 am

Zhuanyong wrote:Image

dude this looked like "tosai masala" from my country ! :shock:
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:36 am

Masala Dosa eh? I like that a lot. Although I generally prefer North Indian food.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jake » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:29 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Heh, in Chinese tradition breakfast is always something salty, usually some kind of savoury bread, fried dough, or light dishes served with rice porridge.

Yeah, I know. I visited Beijing last summer with some of my classmates, and during the time we stayed at the campus for ten days, and the food they served was not bad, but none of us really enjoyed it too much. Mostly for the fact that either it was so salty or too sweet. But in overall, when we visited some high class Chinese restaurants, the food was astounding.

I made a mistake though by eating some vegetables they served us. The dish in itself was yummy, but it was most likely the hottest thing that I've ever eaten.

I think I lost some weight on that trip, because I couldn't eat much - the cultural food differences of Finland and China were so different that sometimes it made me feel sick.
Puhkon silmäni, että näkisin
En tahdo nähdä, mutta näen sen väkisin
Runtelen korvani, jotta kuulisin
En ymmärrä, mutta kuulen sen väkisin
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:36 am

Zhuanyong wrote:Breakfast/brunch quiche!

My wife actually made this for breakfast yesterday but, we had some leftovers this morning. Very tasty and vegetarian!

Quiche looks good. Love Spinach / Egg / Bacon quiche, can't go wrong.

Turkey bacon simply can't live up to the taste and texture expectations of those of beef bacon.

Ah, but this is where we differ. Once I discovered turkey bacon a few years back I haven't gone back to regular. Takes some getting used to how chewy it is but I like the lean nature of it.
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Lordyuanshu wrote:Ah, but this is where we differ. Once I discovered turkey bacon a few years back I haven't gone back to regular. Takes some getting used to how chewy it is but I like the lean nature of it.

Hmm, we ate turkey bacon exclusively for probably about 6-7 years. I also grew up eating both beef and turkey bacon. Someone close to us introduced us to this brand of all-beef bacon and my wife never wanted to buy turkey again. I admit that I don't really want to go back either, because of what I mentioned in that post.

I do agree that I prefer the lean nature of turkey bacon over beef bacon but, it doesn't live up to it in the other departments for me. We only eat bacon maybe once every week or two.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhilong » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Jake wrote:I can't understand the people who eat something salty early in the morning. My usual breakfast is porridge with some berry jam and water or juice to drink. Sometimes that changes to few pieces of bread and juice or cocoa (I think you say it like that), and I usually like few boiled eggs when I have the chance.

When i was staying at a hot springs inn in japan we all saw the fish for breakfast and i was like... i wonder if that is salted fish and lone behold it was quite salty. No one touched theirs so i ate them all (yes including the head). :lol:

For me breakfast can be salty or sweet or both. I can't stand salty oats though...
"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:23 pm

Zhilong wrote:For me breakfast can be salty or sweet or both. I can't stand salty oats though...

Indeed!

I don't have a preference in particular, either, when it comes to salty or sweet with my breakfast. I believe that I may eat more salty foods than sweet though. Most of my sweet breakfasts are fruit or fruit-enhanced based.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Made and ate a slightly different version of one of my favorites fried egg rice this morning. Per my wife's suggestion, I added green onions. I threw in some parsley as well just on a whim. It came out more flavorful and delicious.

Lately I've been eating high amounts of fruit and greek yogurt for breakfast, though. Sometimes oatmeal with raisins and natural applesauce for an extra dose of dietary fiber.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub