Breakfast of the Scholars?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Breakfast of the Scholars?

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:21 pm

As one of the changes I've had to make in this past month, I've had to begin eating breakfast on a regular, daily basis. This isn't an optional thing for me; I need to eat breakfast, so that I can take one of my daily medications.

Now, I'm normally a hungry person in the morning - my problem has always been taking the time to make/eat breakfast on anything but a weekend. So I've been trying to pick out breakfasts that won't take long to make, and won't be a hassle to eat. They also need to be fairly healthy or balanced - nothing like Pop-tarts or Toaster Strudels.

So far, I've come up with the following options:

* Whole grain cereal with yogurt (that is, replacing milk with yogurt).
* Breakfast sandwiches (egg, sausage or bacon, cheese, muffin/croissant)
* Whole wheat pancakes (bought frozen, so just require heating)
* Wholesome/organic granola bars (not the quickie Quaker Oats ones, brands like Archer's Farms or Kashi)
* Wholesome cookies that are somewhat low in sugar with milk
* Hash browns (bought frozen) with a quick scrambled egg

So tell me, Scholars - what do you eat for breakfast? Do you have any recommendations for a quick healthy breakfast? And, just to keep the discussion complete, what about those big, fill your stomach breakfasts - what do you enjoy on those occasions?

See you at the breakfast table!
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby James » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:31 pm

Sometimes I create some sort of sandwich. It can range anywhere from tuna fish on toast to meat, greens, tomato, cheese, mayo and mustard on a toasted ciabatta roll. On a weekend I may wait a bit and eat a larger meal—perhaps leftovers. On work mornings I often-times grab a few nutritional bars to hold me over until lunch.

I’m better about eating breakfast now than I once was.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Foif » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:43 pm

I usually just eat Eggs, but not everyday...

Sometimes i make Egg sandwiches, or i might eat some bagels with cream cheese and nuts.

When i dont have time i eat cereal, but most of the time i make sandwiches or eat some Eggs...
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby REMIX » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:43 pm

Hmm...I prefer sleep to breakfast :)

I would often wake up quite late leaving me no time for breakfast, and only time to arrive at college late. And that has become so much of a habbit that, even on days when I don't need to go anywhere in the morning, I do not feel the need to have breakfast. So I don't really have any breakfast, and Im used to it.
REMIX
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zeche » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:04 pm

I usually just eat Cocoa Puffs. They're just so damn good. For something healthy try probably a lettuce sandwich with orange juice?
You will not like me.
Zeche
Academic

Unread postby Jeremy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:41 pm

I'm going to start eating nutrigrain bars for breakfast.
Jeremy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhilong » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:07 pm

I have congee at home. When i am not at home and have to make it myself i use the timer function on the rice cooker.

Sometimes i have yoghurt, cereal, fruit, miso soup, steamed buns or microwave porridge.

Pop tarts are so sweet they give me a headache.
"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Unread postby brigadier liao hua » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:18 pm

I usually just have either Toast with jam or some cereal. If i could be bothered in a morning i would deffinately have scrambed eggs everyday, with lots of brown sauce!
brigadier liao hua
Langzhong

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:42 pm

Oatmeal---food of the gods.

Instant oats suck, but you can put regular oats in a slowcooker the night before. If you make more than one serving, you can always put it in the fridge, and nuke it the following day.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:43 pm

Ham in a bread roll or a sandwich with milk
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Next

Return to The Pub