How sensitive are you to the words of other people?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Unread postby Ricky » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:31 pm

Well I really Don't get discouraged that easily. Unless the person is none other than a parent. Which has happened to me. Other than that, I can careless what other's think of me, when trying to discourage me.
First upload.
All hail to the lord!

Huo Hu
Ricky
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:37 pm

Spike wrote:We wouldn't happen to have the same father, would we? :roll:

Everything there sounds almost exactly like my dad (bar the singing) and I know how it can really knock my self-esteem at times. :(

In general, I'm not overly sensitive to other people's opinions or their 'words', apart from when they come from people close to me.

Yeah... luckily, my father's changed quite a bit now. He actually shows pride and interest in my accomplishments. I actually felt bad for him when I visited last Christmas, and found out that all the photography I'd done and shared with my mother had never been shown to him. He was impressed.

At least I'm learning to be tougher - even when it's someone close to me that's hurting me with words.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:35 pm

I already posted in this thread, but thought I would mention this as well. I'd lead a very unhappy life if I let the words of others get to me, especially being in the deep south with a black girlfriend, life for me would be pure hell if I let simple words stated by morons get to me. Even if they do happen to be a family member, I just.don't.care.

Here's an example of someting that happened only a few days ago. My uncle who I usually see about twice a year, after meeting my girl for the first time, told me on my Birthday (of all days...) last Thursday, "You know what? She seems like a sweet girl and all, but if you and Aiesha get married we're all going to disown you and never talk to you again" (in a sort of joking, but obviously still serous sort of way). Joke or not this really angered me, you don't joke with me about that, I don't care who you are, it sets me off, especially to be told this on my birthday by a so-called family member. It's not that the comment really got to me, it's the fact that something this petty was said in the first place. My response to him was, "Well, you know what? I couldn't give a f••• less what any of you think, so you might as well lose my phone number right now and forget that I ever existed." and walked off after that.
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to The Pub