Bargain Hunting!

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Unread postby SunXia » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:27 am

Tesco is the king for students in the UK!! Saved me last year!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:08 am

I think you have to have a zen-like approach to thrift-store shopping.

When you absolutely need something, you won't find it.

But something that you didn't think you needed (but did) will show up. So you just have to shift your world view and go "oh, actually, I do need that!" :lol:

It also depends on your neighbourhood, too. A neighbourhood that has a lot of young families moving in and out all the time is more likely to see newer furniture at the Sally Ann's, while a neighbourhood like mine (lots of old people who've lived here all their lives) is good for antique shopping (we actually have a whole street of antique shops, but a lot of things also end up at the Sally Ann's.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:47 am

I live in a neighborhood filled with people who are going through foreclosure.

Does that count? :lol:

Seriously… the thrift stores around here seem to suck, and irrationally so, for me. There is one off in Pittsburgh that, oddly enough, sometimes has interesting things in stock. Maybe I just need a better attitude about the whole thing! For what it is worth, though, I’m pretty happy with my zen-like ability to get high quality new items at irrationally low prices. Maybe not quite thrift store prices in many cases, but I’ll pay a small premium. :)

Some of my favorite shirts came from thrift stores…
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:42 am

I've never really shopped at a thrift store. I am not big on using something after someone has used it and I don't know what they did. Hell, when I bought my car it was used, but I ended up swapping engines, driveline, transmission and differential and getting all brand new interior. Kind of unnecessary, but it half needed it and I wanted a more personal car. But I won't buy used games unless I absolutely can't get it new, don't own a single used CD, DVD, VHS, etc. I dunno, I like new stuff more than I like cheap stuff. If I can't afford it, I don't want it.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to The Pub