Favorite Musical?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Favorite Musical?

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:43 am

Are you a fan of musicals, on the stage or on the screen? Have you ever performed in one yourself? Do you have a favorite? If possible, please share where you first saw the production, how old you were, what the most memorable scene was, how many times you've seen it since, etc.

My favorite on film is probably The Wizard of Oz, because of the memorable music and all the weird fairy-tale characters. As for live productions, I've seen Phantom, Les Miserables, Ragtime, Guys and Dolls, Sunset Boulevard and others, and I can't really pick a favorite. I've always wanted to see H.M.S. Pinafore.

When I was little my parents took me to see Miss Saigon, which of course features an opening scene set in a Vietnamese whorehouse. Most uncomfortable moment of my young life!
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Marc » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:56 am

Does The Rocky Horror Picture Show count? I first saw that movie when I was a kid and just fell in love with it. I make a point of watching it at least once a month or so. Last year my parents got tickets to go see the opening of the Rocky Horror Show's new run at the King's Theatre in Glasgow for my birthday, and it was awesome. :)
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Skode » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:39 am

Was in London last month to see the LORD OF THE RINGS theatre productions. I'd recomend anyone to go along and see it for themselves
Skode
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby FuguNabe » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:44 am

Hmmm I pretty much enjoy most theatrical musical. Of the last few years 'The Lion King' comes to mind. 'Beauty and the Beast' was pretty well-done too. I like No and Kabuki more though.
Cynicism in my lyricism? Life has been series of questions and sessions of lessons to enhance my essence...

Knowledge is god as despite my iaido skills my pen is is mightier than my sword...

With a tongue to match my wit your mental death swift...
FuguNabe
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: You'd find me at some karaoke drinking and singing with ladies on the weekend

Unread postby Catalyst » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:00 pm

I loved Phantom of the Opera, it was truly an amazing show. Other than that, I'm not a huge musical fan. However, I am going to Spamalot later this month.
Catalyst
Apostle of Peace

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:44 pm

I saw a musical (I think it's a muscial) of Aladin in Disneyland, and it was decent.
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:24 pm

I love musicals. I saw Phantom of the Opera, The Producers, and Beauty and the Beast on Broadway just last spring. All were amazing. I also saw A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum at the Cleveland Playhouse with Drama class, which we then went on to perform, in which I played Senex. (Anyone familiar with the show might have recognized my location/signature from that time.) I have a lot of favorites, including the ones I've seen, and I also like Cabaret, Moulin Rouge (which should be put on stage), Nightmare Before Christmas (which also should), Chicago, The Threepenny Opera, Rocky Horror Show, Sweeney Todd, Tanz der Vampire, and several others. However, I absolutely despise Rent and The Sound of Music, mostly for poor music (IMO) and other reasons.
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:29 pm

Musicals aren't usually my cup of tea, so to speak, yet I've always had a keen interest in The Phantom of the Opera.
I've seen a few renditions of it, and I was blown away on both occasions.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:16 pm

KingofWei&Wu wrote:I love musicals. I saw Phantom of the Opera, The Producers, and Beauty and the Beast on Broadway just last spring. All were amazing. I also saw A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum at the Cleveland Playhouse with Drama class, which we then went on to perform, in which I played Senex. (Anyone familiar with the show might have recognized my location/signature from that time.) I have a lot of favorites, including the ones I've seen, and I also like Cabaret, Moulin Rouge (which should be put on stage), Nightmare Before Christmas (which also should), Chicago, The Threepenny Opera, Rocky Horror Show, Sweeney Todd, Tanz der Vampire, and several others. However, I absolutely despise Rent and The Sound of Music, mostly for poor music (IMO) and other reasons.

I was delighted when one of worst stage musicals I've seen, Rent was parodied in what has become one of my favorite musical films, Team America: World Police. That film even drew praise from Stephen Sondheim. I bet you had fun performing in one of his shows!
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:47 pm

Catalyst wrote:I loved Phantom of the Opera, it was truly an amazing show.
It was a great show with a great story!! It made me cry!!

I love The Sound of Music!! It's always been one of my favourite shows!! Anything Disney too!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Next

Return to The Pub