Favorite Musical?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Favorite Musical?

Unread postby SunXia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:02 pm

My niece and nephews LOVE the songs from The Greatest Showman!! Me and my partner love to go out for drives most weekends and those songs are always expected especially by the toddler who belts them out no matter how many times its on repeat.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:03 pm

SunXia wrote:My niece and nephews LOVE the songs from The Greatest Showman!! Me and my partner love to go out for drives most weekends and those songs are always expected especially by the toddler who belts them out no matter how many times its on repeat.

It's alright, I forgive their tastes :wink: I'm glad they enjoy it so much

I did like Tightrope when I listed to soundtrack again. It is possibly film kept being put off due to things going on and the overhype of what I had heard, it could be just not on the day. I will be curious to see, when we watch it as a family film, if I like it more a second time or this going to be like Frozen where I wasn't more then "well that was nice enough" with the popular songs (best song is from the Christmas special) and preferred the forgotten Princess and the Frog or Tangled.

My musical tastes may simply be bad!
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Watched the 1999 film adaptation of Joseph and the Techincolour Dreamcoat, a musical I watched as a youth and I like some of the songs, has Donny Osmond as lead, Maria Friedman as narrator. One can see why the musical works, the "safe anyone can watch" (or appear in, Richard Attenborough as Jacob and Joan Collins as Potiphar's wife) provided with a bit of spoofery and naughtiness, the lyrics with a sense of humour, some nice reasonably catchy songs (my sister hadn't heard them for awhile so was pulled in by their energy).

As a production? Its school assembly setting feels odd and buying time initially but also so they can go cheap with sets and costumes. The start slightly drags with pace, some of the acting is erratic in the early stages, the tendency to go large and cool clunks particularly in the early stages, Attenborough is not a good singer, Friedman doesn't always get the pace of the song right, the humour is badly executed, singing is generally solid. The only early song that clicks is Nicolas Colicos's version of "One More Angel in Heaven" where the humour comes close to clicking.

When it gets to Egypt, things change for the better, perhaps more in the "at least this is fun bad." The sets may be cheap but there is a more of a sense of imagination and flair, its attempts to be cool also have more flair (though Friedman's attempts still fail miserably) and weirdness that is enjoyable (like a sudden plunge into 60's clothing). Though the costumes and some of which they do arguably (strongly arguably) crosses line for a family film, there is always a difficult balance between wanting some... adult flair and fun in such things but there is very little restraint shown. More of the humour works like when brothers turn up again with their songs (bar a badly aged execution of Benjamin Calypso), Alex Jennings as the butler is the most consistent figure for humour. Too many attempts at humour still fail and Osmond fails to capture the emotion of "Close Every Door" but hits the marks with the ending phase including giving an emotional punch to it, Robert Torti adds some neat little touches to his Pharaoh but doesn't land the Elvis stuff or the sense of charisma needed.

Overall it isn't awful by any means, Joseph is a likeable musical with good songs and that comes across, I enjoyed some of the weirdness they tried, the singers were solid generally, they tried a few things. Just the delivery of humour was consistently off and the tonal shift from school to something more adult was jarring, the narrator didn't work.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:37 am

Watched cult Gothic Repo! The Genetic Opera. Premise: It is 2056 and GeneCo under Rottissimo "Rotti" Largo (Paul Sorvino) have become a powerhouse thanks to stranglehold on credit for organ transplants and their brutal repo men for those who fall behind on payments. Meanwhile ill Shilo (Alexa PenaVega) is being hidden from the world by father Nathan (Anthony Head) but will soon be involved....

The world is intresting, I liked the comic art style for flashbacks but the dialogue for much of first half can be too much exposition, camera-work and props help set up that sense of world. Has a nice strange of strangeness and that kept me in when my sister left (her attitude was fine but didn't want to watch the whole thing), some decent characters and a good cast but Rotti's children feel underdeveloped. Story doesn't quite build up well to it's end phase and feels a bit light though has some fun moments.

In terms of songs, the early ones could feel clunky with their lyrics, partly due to being used for exposition and though there were moments where the lines sizzled, it was often surrounded by clunk. Some good singers like Sorvino and Sarah Brightman but Head didn't seem to match up, Terrance Zdunich as the graverobber was decent but lacked a bit of charisma for the patter. Some decent songs in the middle like "Zydrate Anatomy", "Seventeen" but nothing I want to listen to again.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Previous

Return to The Pub