Favorite Musical?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Favorite Musical?

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:08 am

Shu Ryorin wrote:
Zhuanyong wrote:I agree. When I first saw the movie I was skeptical. I enjoyed most if not all of the Topol involved song & dance including the wedding bottle dance.

I mean who can go against - TRADITION!!!

Topal is just fantastic in that film. He has all the other hands.

I've know some people who had heard the parody "If I Were a Rich Girl" and thought that it was the original song and I was making up "If I Were a Rich Man." It was horrifying.

That is pretty funny. I definitely believe you. Especially since there are people who weren't aware of the song Sunrise, Sunset as well.

So many of today's songs are covers of older songs which in some cases are covers of even older songs.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:07 pm

I went to see a local production of 'A Sound of Music' tonight. It's probably illegal to say this but it's actually one of my least favourite musicals; however the little girl who was playing Gretel is a family friend and she was very cute!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:22 am

Sun Fin wrote:I went to see a local production of 'A Sound of Music' tonight. It's probably illegal to say this but it's actually one of my least favourite musicals; however the little girl who was playing Gretel is a family friend and she was very cute!

I have sent the mob round :wink: I have never been a fan of the film the Sound of Music, no idea if it is any better on stage.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:32 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:I went to see a local production of 'A Sound of Music' tonight. It's probably illegal to say this but it's actually one of my least favourite musicals; however the little girl who was playing Gretel is a family friend and she was very cute!

I have sent the mob round :wink: I have never been a fan of the film the Sound of Music, no idea if it is any better on stage.

Same here. I never bother to watch more than a few seconds of the film and immediately go to the next channel whenever I'm channel surfing (which is rare in itself these days...).

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:58 pm

I have some musicals I love or remember fondly, sometimes popping into mind.: Albert Hall's version of Phantom of the Opera (particularly that moment with Ramin Karimloo's Phantom that still haunts my mind sometimes) , various Disney ones, my favourite musical Moulin Rogue (the sort we will watch every ten years), that 25th anniversary Les Mis I saw on youtube, Buffy musical episode...Fiddler on the Roof and Oh What A Lovely War are a different kettle of fish, they are the sort of film everyone should see at least once in their life.

The one musical that keeps popping in my head, that my sister and I will have random chats about even now, is Camelot (my second favourite musical and on the "watch in ten or so years list") which we watched in April last year. Certain songs (mostly in the comedy half), certain scenes and the general feel of that half comedy, half romance/tragedy/drama just keep coming back to me. It refuses to leave my head and I'm glad it doesn't, was a great three hours and glad I gave it a shot. Such fun songs, some laughs and a strong tale hidden beneath it all.

I would recommend it, probably more to musical lovers then Arthurian lovers but the latter should still find plenty to love.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:16 am

Dong Zhou wrote:...Fiddler on the Roof...the sort of film everyone should see at least once in their life...

Indeed, my friend... Indeed.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:15 am

Apparently Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is to get the film treatment and maybe Cats will. Not seen the latter, do remember the former as a child so do hope they do it properly.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Saw a version of Cole Porter's 1948 musical Kiss Me Kate but Sky Arts showing a live (when recorded) performance in London from Chris Hunt's 1999 revival. Premise: Fred (Brent Barrett) is directing and starring as Petruchio in Taming of the Shrew but he has a few troubles. His co-star is his film star ex-wife Lilli Vanessi (Rachel York), he is sleeping with the woman playing Bianca: Lois (Nancy Kathryn Anderson, only film) but her boyfriend Bill (Michael Berresse) has got Fred in some trouble...

Slow start with "Another Op'nin', Another Show" having sound issues, not being that intresting and only fitfully amusing. It doesn't start clicking together for awhile and though showing signs of improving and some bright spots, we did consider quitting after half an hour. It does pick up but as a whole, I do wonder if I might have used my time better.

There are a lot of good aspects to the show: Good costumes and lighting, sound carries bar that early song. There are good songs like the romantic Wunderbar, So In Love
other romance songs
Kiss Me, Kate, Where is the Life That Late I Led, So in Love, Too Darn Hot
or comic ones like Why Can't You Behave?, Tom, Dick or Harry
other comic songs
I've Come to Wive it Wealthily in Padua, I Hate Men, Always True to You in My Fashion, Brush Up Your Shakespeare
and so on, they are well sung by good singers. It has a nice sense of comedy including a more adult sense of panto, the cast are capable of being comic and having a twinkle in their eye, some good comic side characters
like the gangsters (Teddy Kempner and Jack Chissick) or Harrison Howell (Nicholas Colicos)
, some good comic songs. Romances are good, the figures involved have good chemistry between them, they know how to make a good kiss, one roots for them even the under-written romance
Lois/Fred
. The play within a play stuff is great, seeing Taming of the Shrew in a straight way but also seeing it knowing what has gone on behind the scenes adds another dimension, adds extra comedy as things alter. The characters are entertaining, flawed and silly but also sweet at times, I did root for them.

The cast are good: Brent Barrett has charm, is funny and a strong voice but also a sense of arrogance, Rachel York is a strong singer, funny and offers a mixture of charm and terror. The star for me was Nancy Kathryn Anderson, she was funny and a strong singer but she had an extra twinkle, her scenes and songs were the best parts of the movie for me as she amused and draws one in. Some good comic cast in Teddy Kempner (also very scary), Jack Chissick, Nicholas Colicos, Colin Farrell (not the famous one) and solid support from Michael Berresse, Kaye Brown, Nick Winston (only film), Barry McNeill (only film) and Alan Vicary.

So good cast, funny, play within a play, good songs and romances, enjoyable characters, what turned a potential 7 out of ten musical into something I was glad to finish? Some of the issues were fairly minor: slow start, one romance very underwritten despite it's charm, a few patchy scenes, some of the romance songs were technically good but didn't click for me however they did click for my sister. However there was one flaw that wrecked the whole thing: Pace.

This is a two and a half hour show, it felt every inch of it. It was at it's best with scenes that moved quickly enough along, keeping me entertained but several scenes felt dragged out, killing the pace and souring the mood. Several of the songs I liked... I liked the first few verses as they were funny or sweet or catchy but by verse 105 (with or without the big ten minute dance number half way through), it had grown irritating and one prayed for it to stop. In the end, it undermined the good bits so much that the show suffered badly for it.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby WuLordoftheNewAge » Sat May 24, 2014 9:08 am

Necro'd because: guys I missed this thread and I don't want to have. ;w;

Um, I have TONS of musicals I love, but really, Twisted is probably my absolute favorite. It's Wicked, but instead of The Wizard of Oz, it's set in Agrabah. It's by Starkid (who've got a bunch of wonderful performances, honestly), and it's actually available in its entirety on youtube. A bit racy at times, but nothing too bawdy.

Sound of Music was alright, but if we're talking musicals with the word Music in the name, I like The Music Man FAR more.

*slinks off to hide for another year*
Pang Tong: So I wonder what this place is called?
Sign by road: "Place where Pang Tong gets killed"
Pang Tong: Hmmm... I have a bad feeling about this place...

On Fallen Phoenix Slope.
WuLordoftheNewAge
Langzhong

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:12 pm

I'm partial to Oliver!

I love it.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub