Favorite Musical?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re:

Unread postby laojim » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:46 am

Tigger of Kai wrote:Anyone attended Sweeney Todd? A throat-slashing cannibalistic English barber — seems like the kind of thing I'd enjoy. Apparently, Tim Burton's movie version starring Johnny Depp debuts next month. In Toronto now there's a production which.

There is a DVD of the stage show with what's his name and Angela Lansbury which is fabulously well done. The recent movie is rather good in spots and perhaps a bit better in the narrative, but leaves out some splendid material. It is such a definitive performance that it is hard to hear anyone else do it without comparing it to this original.

I always like a good story of revenge. Titus Andronicus by Shakespear is one along those lines which makes Sweeny Todd look tame. It is also available on a DVD underthe name Titus, if my memory is correct. There are numerous tales of bloody revenge in the English tradition going back to the ballad of Lambkin (Child 93), a builder who is stiffed for his work and who gets his revenge by killing the baby in the cradle. It is a fine old British tradition. As the Chorus puts it at the end of the Sweeny Todd, "To seek revenge may lead to hell, but everyone does it and seldom as well, as Sweeny Todd."

I am also very fond of a little remembered musical called Take Me Along. It starred Jackie Gleason along with Walter Pigeon and some other people. I have it on a CD which I like to play from time to time. It is rarely if ever performed any more, but Gleason can be appreciated from some films such as Papa's Delicate Condition if you can find any of his films od DVD other than The Hustler, which is very good but doesn't convey the comic talent of the man.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Favorite Musical?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
Ah I love musicals but only tend to get to see them on film, though did see Joseph live as a kid. Disney films, Phantom of the Opera film and 25th anniversary version, Les Mis 25th on youtube, the deserves to be better known Camelot, the all time great Moulin Rouge, Chicago... Even when a film isn't that good (Disney's Robin Hood and Hunchback, Gigi), the songs can make it a little bit better. Even when the song performances, like Mamma Mia, aren't that good.

Can I add the Buffy musical episode? Was very well done and loved Tara's Under your spell

Was not a fan of Sweeny Todd, at least the film version. Singing wasn't that good and found it rather boring
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:47 pm

Weirdly, after posting in this thread, watched three musical things. Fiddler on the Roof and two bbc musical things. The first was an hour long of various musical tunes sung by people in the past ranging from Sammy Davis, Jr. to Gwen Stefani and more obscure ones like Erasure. I quite liked one by the Muse, can't quite recall the song, Brian Wilson's version of can't take that away from me and "Another Suitcase In Another Hall" by Barbara Dickson.

The second was a recording of the Proms musical special last year, didn't realize they had been doing a musical night each time in the last few years with the John Wilson Orchestra. This year they did Broadway, not entirely sure what criteria they use to select what songs count. Anna-Jane Casey opened and closed with energy (including a tap dance), she duetted movingly in Sue Me and was a joy to watch. Her usual partner for duets was a surprisingly good Seth MacFarlane, who did an excellent patter in Ya Got Trouble, and tended to be good when singing in the fun/dodgy character. Another duo, sometimes single set, was Julian Ovenden and Sierra Boggess, both had good voices (though Boggess was again a tad high at times) but were hit and miss as a duet. They felt wrong for the West Side story song but did a good and sweet Make Believe. Quite enjoyed Boggess having fun with "Lust Month of May", not as good as the film version by Vanessa Redgrave, but still fun.

The best song was the catchy, amusing "Little Tin Box" with a rather nice dance routing. No idea who the singers are, even the one being so entertaining as the crooked offical, but I loved that song.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:32 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Can I add the Buffy musical episode? Was very well done and loved Tara's Under your spell

Such a good episode. I think I prefer Under Your Spell / Standing (Reprise) to Under Your Spell, though. Tara and Giles' songs just blend so well and they both have such great voices. I actually got to attend a Buffy Musical Sing-along last summer and it was tons of fun.

Since posting on this thread five years ago I've seen Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog and I really enjoyed it. All of the songs are wonderfully done but I think that My Eyes, Brand New Day, and Freeze Ray are my favorites.

But Fiddler on the Roof remains my favorite. The film version was a huge part of my childhood, even more than the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack.
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:44 am

On that note what about the Scrubs musical episode!! Saying that most of Scrubs was fun in the pre-JD leaving era!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:18 am

Shu Ryorin wrote:I think I prefer Under Your Spell / Standing (Reprise) to Under Your Spell, though. Tara and Giles' songs just blend so well and they both have such great voices.

That is true.

I'm hoping Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog will come around on TV at some point given Whedon's current star status. I would prefer watching it with my sister then on youtube. I liked the Scrubs musical episode, quite liked their attempt with the last series of Scrubs so was a little disappointed it ended.

Watched ITV's 40 year tribute to Andrew Lloyd Webber hosted by Michael Ball, was quite amusing and not as sycophantic as I feared. Gave me a bit more idea of his career path, made me want to see Jesus Christ Superstar (liked Chris Moyle's patter in his song) and lots of good singers: Ball, Nicole Scherzinger, Myleene Klass song was surprisingly catchy, Sierra Boggess and Samantha Barks. Quite fun
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:47 pm

Shu Ryorin wrote:But Fiddler on the Roof remains my favorite. The film version was a huge part of my childhood, even more than the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack.

You are my new best friend! :mrgreen:

Fiddler on the Roof is my favorite musical as well. I love Chaim Topol as Tevye. I've probably played "If I Were a Rich Man" over and over again. In fact, the song directly from the film is in heavy rotation on iPhone.

I also like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers but, not even close to Fiddler.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:45 am

Topol's version if "If I Were a Rich Man" is the only one I have ever liked. I was even slightly dreading that part coming up but his humour and dancing made it such fun.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:10 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Topol's version if "If I Were a Rich Man" is the only one I have ever liked. I was even slightly dreading that part coming up but his humour and dancing made it such fun.

I agree. When I first saw the movie I was skeptical. I enjoyed most if not all of the Topol involved song & dance including the wedding bottle dance.

I mean who can go against - TRADITION!!!

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:43 am

Zhuanyong wrote:I agree. When I first saw the movie I was skeptical. I enjoyed most if not all of the Topol involved song & dance including the wedding bottle dance.

I mean who can go against - TRADITION!!!

Topal is just fantastic in that film. He has all the other hands.

I've know some people who had heard the parody "If I Were a Rich Girl" and thought that it was the original song and I was making up "If I Were a Rich Man." It was horrifying.
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub