Favorite Musical?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Unread postby tuffy135 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:06 am

My highschool European History teacher used to do the "If I were a rich man..." dance at least once for every class he taught. Think of a guy built like Santa Claus dancing like that.
tuffy135
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:16 am

Anyone attended Sweeney Todd? A throat-slashing cannibalistic English barber — seems like the kind of thing I'd enjoy. Apparently, Tim Burton's movie version starring Johnny Depp debuts next month. In Toronto now there's a production which

...is actually set in an insane asylum, where a company of 10 of the most bizarre creatures you've ever seen onstage act out the story – gruesome payback over a lost wife – in between bouts of psychosis and dementia[...]there is no orchestra and the members of the company play all the musical instruments.

Sounds a bit...much.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:15 am

Tigger of Kai wrote:Sounds a bit...much.

Awesome is what it sounds like.

Actual lunatics performing Sweeney Todd? How can you beat that?

...Well, as long as the security is good.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Cherry Coke » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:56 am

I totally love the Phantom of the Opera!! Sweeney Todd wa sactually rather good too..favorite song from there is Epiphany...if I start even a line of that I will get it stuck in my head and go on for ages...
Sound of Music is so adorable too...I can watch that over and over...

Rocky Horror Picture Show ...saw it once....years and years ago...disturbed for life :shock: :?
Live, Love, Laugh, Believe, Dream
Cherry Coke
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:41 am

I wann see Todd but it's an 18 :x. My favourite musical is Les Mis, so touching (I've even seen it twice!) although the best show I've seen was Equus by miles!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ricky » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:12 pm

I never did perform on stage. Only when I was eight though. Wouldn't say it counted, I just tapped my feet in anger while looking glum at others. I saw a betiful Kabuki dance on television before though.
First upload.
All hail to the lord!

Huo Hu
Ricky
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Favorite Musical?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 am

Blood Brothers is my new favourite musical. It was amazing. Only time I've cried in a show.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Adam » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:58 am

The only musical I enjoyed and have watched more than once is Repo: The Genetic Opera...it has a weird conglomeration of musical styles but it works really well...probably helps that it's sort of a horror movie behind the musical stuff. >.>
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:53 pm

Saw Wicked a few days ago, really good musical.

What do people think about Les Mis being made in to a film? You USer's might have seen it already... Does it measure up to the show? Personally I'm suspending judgement until I've seen it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:13 pm

Are you a fan of musicals, on the stage or on the screen?

Ah I love musicals but only tend to get to see them on film, though did see Joseph live as a kid. Disney films, Phantom of the Opera film and 25th anniversary version, Les Mis 25th on youtube, the deserves to be better known Camelot, the all time great Moulin Rouge, Chicago... Even when a film isn't that good (Disney's Robin Hood and Hunchback, Gigi), the songs can make it a little bit better. Even when the song performances, like Mamma Mia, aren't that good.

Have you ever performed in one yourself?

No

Sun Fin wrote:Saw Wicked a few days ago, really good musical.

What do people think about Les Mis being made in to a film? You USer's might have seen it already... Does it measure up to the show? Personally I'm suspending judgement until I've seen it!

I have heard Wicked was a great musical. Perhaps the next one to transcend Broadway?

I'm always happy to see a play or a musical or something that many people may not get a chance to see done properly, get a TV/film thing. If done properly. Even if I have already seen a version (Phantom of the Opera or the Henry IV plays), it can be intresting to see how how one contrasts with another. To use the Phantom, the 25th anniversary had a slightly more human title for their Phantom thanks to Ramin Karimloo and a more sensuous version of "Beyond the Point of No Return" from Sierra Boggess then the film. So a version where everyone has put a lot of effort in is always welcome.

Been intresting reading the British reviews. One or two love it, a lot go "this is good but" and really put effort into explaining why it didn't work for them.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub